An Old School Catholic Message Board

If Someone Were To Ask You For Directions...

LouisvilleFan

LouisvilleFan

...to a fertility clinic that specializes in IVF, egg/sperm donations, and pretty much every reproductive practice that the Catholic Church teaches is a violation of human dignity... and assuming that you knew the address or area... would you provide their requested directional assistance?

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' post='1934749' date='Jul 29 2009, 10:35 AM']...to a fertility clinic that specializes in IVF, egg/sperm donations, and pretty much every reproductive practice that the Catholic Church teaches is a violation of human dignity... and assuming that you knew the address or area... would you provide their requested directional assistance?[/quote]
Yes. You don't know why they want to go there. They might want to pray outside.

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' post='1934749' date='Jul 29 2009, 11:35 AM']...to a fertility clinic that specializes in IVF, egg/sperm donations, and pretty much every reproductive practice that the Catholic Church teaches is a violation of human dignity... and assuming that you knew the address or area... would you provide their requested directional assistance?[/quote]

:no:

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1934755' date='Jul 29 2009, 12:50 PM']Fertility clinics also provide fertility drugs which are okay with the church.[/quote]

[quote name='scardella' post='1934757' date='Jul 29 2009, 12:51 PM']My response would depend highly on the exact wording of the question...[/quote]

Exactly, to both of these comments.

They would get lost if I gave them directions, so it doesn't matter.

But yeah... interesting question... what about if they asked directions to planned parenthood?

I don't think I would... Maybe I'd suggest that they go to the local pregnancy center instead. But like I said... I can't give directions, so they'd end up in the wrong place regardless, more than likely.

LouisvilleFan

Well, I don't believe anyone is helped by lying or misleading people against their will, so if someone asks a straightforward question I'd give a straightforward response. The question arises because my job sometimes involves indirectly helping people find these services. While I'm pretty my position is far enough removed in that I am not directly communicating with the people seeking these services, it does cause me to question where I would draw the line in being complicit with the sin. While it isn't a "big deal," so to speak, it's also true that the way we handle small, relatively inconsequential matters reveals a lot about where our true loyalties lie.

I always keep in mind that many of the early Christians were persecuted for refusing to offer a small sacrifice to the emperor. The state was not asking a lot, but Christ commands everything.

[quote name='zunshynn' post='1934771' date='Jul 29 2009, 01:27 PM']But yeah... interesting question... what about if they asked directions to planned parenthood?[/quote]

Even with this possible scenario, it depends on why they are going there. They might be going there to pray.

If they revealed they were going there for contraception or abortion purposes, I would try to evangelize if I could. If it was for pregnancy testing or pregnancy related issues I would send them to the Crisis Pregnancy center here instead. They are a whole heck of a lot nicer and don't pressure girls into having abortions, in fact they don't even mention it as a choice.

[quote name='fidei defensor' post='1934752' date='Jul 29 2009, 11:43 AM']Yes. You don't know why they want to go there. They might want to pray outside.[/quote]Pwnd. xD

A similar thing happened to me once. Someone stopped me in the street and asked for directions to the Sandyford Initiative. I was all nice and helpful and gave her directions and then when she walked away I remembered it was a sexual health centre. If it happened again and I was a bit more quick-witted :rolleyes: I'm not sure what I'd do. Someone could be going there for immoral purposes (abortion referral, contraception) or for totally legit reasons (it's possible to get an STD through no fault of your own, and even if it is your fault there's nothing wrong with getting it treated). You can't exactly ask why they're going.

If it was a clinic that was completely into dodgy stuff, I'd say "Sorry, I can't tell you where that is" - it's not a lie but can be interpreted that you don't know where it is.

KnightofChrist

Since [u]I wouldn't know[/u] I would err on the side of caution, and not give them directions. If I was unable to determined why they needed the directions. Not knowing is not a reason to give the directions it is a reason not to give the directions. The risk is to high to just be blind and nice.

I would truthfully answer "I'm sorry I can not give you directions"

Would we fire a bullet at a target if we did not know if there was or was not someone behind it? Would we implode/burn a building slated for destruction if we did not know if there was or was not people inside?