An Old School Catholic Message Board

Reality Weight Loss Shows

Lil Red

Reality Weight Loss Shows  

33 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• 10 months later...

I have watched many weight loss shows, the ones i watch most regularly are the biggest loser(the US and the Australian version) and supersize vs superskinny.

• 4 weeks later...
God the Father

I kinda feel like nearly all reality TV shows are exploitive, even going back to those game shows on Nickelodeon where they splatted the kids with gack. The model is:

"watch these (fat/ugly/uneducated/dorky) people do something unpleasant and bask in the schadenfreude! And while you're at it buy these products!"

sometimes reality shows have a positive message but I feel like weight loss entertainment is equal parts freak show (at the start) and guilt trip (at the end).

In every case, reality TV allows networks to abandon creativity (even [i]artistry[/i] in the best of cases) at the cost of....well at no cost.

at the [i]gain[/i] of enormous margins without the cost of writers, actors, sets, etc

but certainly it's the right of the "screen talent" to be exploited if that's what they want. Dignity's in the bargain bin these days.

Edited by God the Father

[quote name='God the Father' date='22 July 2010 - 12:44 PM' timestamp='1279827866' post='2146374']
I kinda feel like nearly all reality TV shows are exploitive, even going back to those game shows on Nickelodeon where they splatted the kids with gack. The model is:

"watch these (fat/ugly/uneducated/dorky) people do something unpleasant and bask in the schadenfreude! And while you're at it buy these products!"

sometimes reality shows have a positive message but I feel like weight loss entertainment is equal parts freak show (at the start) and guilt trip (at the end).

In every case, reality TV allows networks to abandon creativity (even [i]artistry[/i] in the best of cases) at the cost of....well at no cost.

at the [i]gain[/i] of enormous margins without the cost of writers, actors, sets, etc

but certainly it's the right of the "screen talent" to be exploited if that's what they want. Dignity's in the bargain bin these days.
[/quote]
interesting perspective. i need to think about that.

sistersintigo

One interesting development, over several years of television seasons, to point out.
That network show "Extreme Makeover" turned my stomach, with all the cosmetic surgeries and invasive procedures.
"The Biggest Loser," when it first aired, had the sales pitch that it got the results of "Extreme Makeover" WITHOUT going under the knife and having the liposuction and the nips and tucks, they did it all with exercise, athletic training, and better eating.
And today:
there is no more Extreme Makeover plastic surgery show.
I feel quite certain that "The Biggest Loser" people would LOVE to take all the credit for rendering "Extreme Makeover" obsolete!
(of course, Extreme Makeover Home Edition is still with us, and is a horse of a whole 'nother color.)

[quote name='hot stuff' date='23 July 2010 - 12:39 AM' timestamp='1279859953' post='2146609']
I felt rather objectified during Phattest Loser
[/quote]

Posing naked often leaves one feeling used and cheep :console: