An Old School Catholic Message Board

Reality Weight Loss Shows

Lil Red

Reality Weight Loss Shows  

33 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

+J.M.J.+
i'm specifically thinking of "Dance Your *** Off", but there's also "The Biggest Loser" (of course), "Celebrity Fit Club", "Extreme Makeover", others?

Losing weight is the easy part. It's maintaining the weight that is the really battle. Some are certainly exploitative, I'm think about Celebrity Fit Club. I've only seen a few of them, and it was the one with the Baldwin brother who was doing drugs. I saw him later on the detox show. Guess he's going to make a career out of reality shows.

Nihil Obstat

I've seen some very good shows that teach healthy eating habits, not just how to lose weight. So you don't see much of a chance in weight throughout the show, but the people go away having learned how to eat healthier.

In fact, this is the one I'm thinking about right this second.
[url="http://www.channel4.com/programmes/supersize-vs-superskinny"]Supersize versus Superskinny[/url]
British shows often seem better than their American counterparts. :P

The two best weight loss shows I've ever seen, was one on the Discovery Health Network that I can't remember the name of, and Kathleen Dahlman's cooking show on PBS.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1933131' date='Jul 27 2009, 01:24 PM']I've seen some very good shows that teach healthy eating habits, not just how to lose weight. So you don't see much of a chance in weight throughout the show, but the people go away having learned how to eat healthier.

In fact, this is the one I'm thinking about right this second.
[url="http://www.channel4.com/programmes/supersize-vs-superskinny"]Supersize versus Superskinny[/url]
British shows often seem better than their American counterparts. :P[/quote]
wow, i just looked that up. :unsure:

why? geez.

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1933093' date='Jul 27 2009, 01:45 PM']Guess he's going to make a career out of reality shows.[/quote]

I would [i]so[/i] do that.

Very vicious and exploitative. Also irresistible. When I stumble across one, I end up watching it until the brutal end. I am surprised that no one has ever died from all that exercise that they suddenly start and are whipped and goaded into.

I hate myself in the morning ;)

I'm not suer what i think about weight loss reality shows. Some of them are ok, like the Biggest Loser, but for the most part some of them are a bit too exploitative

[quote name='jkaands' post='1934302' date='Jul 28 2009, 05:25 PM']Very vicious and exploitative. Also irresistible. When I stumble across one, I end up watching it until the brutal end. I am surprised that no one has ever died from all that exercise that they suddenly start and are whipped and goaded into.

I hate myself in the morning ;)[/quote]
+J.M.J.+
So totally hear ya! :wacko:

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1934247' date='Jul 28 2009, 05:38 PM']Didn't like it? I think it's a good show.[/quote]
Well, I watched a preview of it. It's totally exploitive. It's going to make you feel like poo at the end of it...you're either too skinny or too fat. :unsure:

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='rachael' post='1935583' date='Jul 30 2009, 11:06 AM']Well, I watched a preview of it. It's totally exploitive. It's going to make you feel like poo at the end of it...you're either too skinny or too fat. :unsure:[/quote]
You should watch an episode all the way through. The entire show is about how to eat better, not how to look better. This is a show that everybody can learn something from.