An Old School Catholic Message Board

In A World Without Abortion

Guest Servant of Divine

Guest Servant of Divine

In the idealic world in which abortion is non-exsitant where the energy of the pro-life movement and the Church go? Would it go to helping nations end capital punishment and euthanasia?

thessalonian

Considering that ethenasia is at least in large part a product of abortion I don't think it would go much in that direction. My guess is we would be able to focus more on the poor and needy. Capital punishment? Perhaps. Though captital punishment is undesirable it is not against Church teaching when there is just reason. The focus may go to making sure the reasons are just. JP II did not think it was neccessary in today's society. I would say it is not in the US.

Edited by thessalonian

[quote name='Varg' post='1932349' date='Jul 26 2009, 05:39 AM']I don't get why people hate euthanasia so much[/quote]

It's called murder.

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='Varg' post='1932349' date='Jul 26 2009, 02:39 PM']I don't get why people hate euthanasia so much[/quote]

:offtopic: [url="http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/letters/article6725302.ece"]This is a great article.[/url]

Start rant:

Euthanasia, and I say this as a Dutch person, where it is legal, isn't just about ending someone's suffering. It is entirely about what value you give to suffering. And since suffering is part of life as much as joy, hunger, and all other feelings are, it's about what life means to you.

Living in a society that accepts death as a good alternative to suffering, that thinks the only life worth living is a "dignified" or even a productive life, is being part of a group of people that is severely delusional about what their own lives are worth. There's more to life than good times. If you only live the good, healthy times and try to get out of the suffering by even the most extreme measure available to us, you are doing yourself a [i]tremendous[/i] disservice.

End rant.

To get back on topic ;)

In a world without abortion, I would hope the pro-life movement would become even more involved in social programs, schooling, etc., so that all those kids who are aborted now get a bright shiny future and make their mums proud :)

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1932363' date='Jul 26 2009, 08:16 AM']In a world without abortion, I would hope the pro-life movement would become even more involved in social programs, schooling, etc., so that all those kids who are aborted now get a bright shiny future and make their mums proud :)[/quote]

iawtc

I too think that if abortion was no longer a problem, that the Pope would become more involved with youth.

Interesting questions. I think I heard a Sister of Life say once that even when abortion is out of the picture, they will still have a very much needed charism and apostolate.

I think pro-life energy should continue to go to stopping contraception primarily, and also euthanasia, helping the impoverished, capital punishment and abuse victims.

But fundamentally, I think there will always be a place for pro-life efforts in simply increasing our understanding of the dignity of the human person and the value of life. That understanding is ultimately where we need to get to. I honestly think that the acceptance of contraception is the chief reason that we have most of these problems in the world... It's the root of all of it. As long as we have that contraceptive mentality, that human beings are burdens, we will never live in a truly just society.

When people come to realize their own dignity, and the dignity of others, (which will always be a work in progress, and therefore, always something for the prolife movement to strive for), all of these other issues will cease to be issues, at least for the most part.

There have been so many wonderful things in my life that I would have missed had I chosen euthanasia rather than live in pain.

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1932463' date='Jul 26 2009, 01:24 PM']There have been so many wonderful things in my life that I would have missed had I chosen euthanasia rather than live in pain.[/quote]

And I'm really glad you didn't decide to shove off early.

What I don't understand is why you all feel such a need to push your views on suicide on other people.

Even when abortion is made illegal, those women who would have been considering abortion if it were legal will still need support.

Edited by Resurrexi

[quote name='Hassan' post='1932526' date='Jul 26 2009, 02:54 PM']And I'm really glad you didn't decide to shove off early.

What I don't understand is why you all feel such a need to push your views on suicide on other people.[/quote]

For the same reason we push our views on things such as murder and rape onto others.

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1932557' date='Jul 26 2009, 04:28 PM']For the same reason we push our views on things such as murder and rape onto others.[/quote]

That's not a proper comparison. Rape and Murder are actions which are imposed on another. A patient ending their own life is a personal decision.

They're based on the same notion of life, in this case, so it's consistent.

If you view your life as your own possession, then it's acceptable to take your own life. Catholics don't.

[quote name='Hassan' post='1932564' date='Jul 26 2009, 03:38 PM']That's not a proper comparison. Rape and Murder are actions which are imposed on another. A patient ending their own life is a personal decision.[/quote]

Have you ever been touched by a suicide? I remember helping a woman from church clean up after her husband's suicide. She wanted the blood out of the house before her kids flew in for the funeral. He had been caught embezzling from the government. He didn't end his pain. He just transferred his pain to his wife and children. His suicide was certainly imposed on them.