An Old School Catholic Message Board

Why Does God Hide Himself?

mortify

dairygirl4u2c

my guess is that he wants us to live free will to its fullest-- ie, to live it to its fullest requires doing it out of faith.
there's plenty to go on to base faith too, it's a very peculiar thing. the edge between faith and none, in this life.

if you ask why he wants us to do it that way, it goes along similar to why there's suffereing that we're to learn from etc (much more arguments in there, but)--- it's how 'love' is, its nature. if you ask why again-- eventually you have to accept it, that's just the way it is.
kinda like a square can't be a triangle. why? that's just the way it is.
that's my take, anyway.

-------------

i mean, it's an inherent thing-- free will, in knowing God and/or suffereing are both are maximized through faith. but also it's practical-- if you are told to do something, or God tells you to, or you know of him such that you would etc-- it's not you acting out of your free will, as much. sure you do it freely, but there's an element of coercion knowing what you do. etc

dairygirl4u2c

plus i'd think it combines with the idea of building God's kingdom on earth-- we're like put on a canvas, and we're to paint and create, like cocreators-- all in faith for the reasons i said. and building it into God's kingdom, in faith, is the ultimate expression of free will.
plus-- there's an inherentness here too--- if we're a canvas starting out, we have to grow into God.
i think humanity is evolving into a greater understanding and appreciation for God, and God will continue manifesting himself to us etc as we grow.

I have heard of people who have taken communion and actually tasted real flesh or blood. I'm in no position to judge if it was real or a hysterical reaction, but just keep in mind that eating anything contributes to your flesh and blood. Our body breaks down regular bread into the building blocks of our flesh.

I heard someone say once that if God were to reveal himself to us with all His glory manifested plainly, we would die upon seeing Him... so He hides Himself. He is so great that our finite minds could not grasp him, so He does not grasp at His divinity. He hides it.

I also think there's such humility in the fact that God, the Creator of the Universe and Redeemer of all... chooses to be with us in the form of... food. Of bread. Of basic sustenance. It's an example of humility for me, I know. When I think... God chose to be so little... to take such an insignificant appearance, how could I not strive to imitate that?

And too, it gives us an opportunity to have faith. If Jesus were to show up,arrayed in glory, the whole world would flock to him. So He gives us the opportunity to express that we love Him simply for Himself, not because of His glory.

thessalonian

"I am meek and humble of heart".

He also hides himself in what he does for us. We don't give him near enough credit for all the blessings that we receive daily. If we knew I think we would bow down 24/7.

But even the effects of consuming what is not only flesh, but spirit and Divinity, are concealed. Otherwise everyone who walked up to the altar would faint at the mere taste of the consecrated Host.

Theologian in Training

Why do celebrities disguise themselves?

Why can't we look directly at the sun?

Why don't we hold a burning coal in our hand?

The answer is the same

[quote name='Theologian in Training' post='1932496' date='Jul 26 2009, 02:19 PM']Why do celebrities disguise themselves?[/quote]

God wants to avoid papparazi?

I get a sort of shiver down my spine when I witness a consecration. I talked to a priest-friend about it and he gets the same feeling. I guess that's good, because for a while I thought I was crazy. My point is that He might not be as hidden as I thought He was.