An Old School Catholic Message Board

Wikipedia

Resurrexi

42 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1929056' date='Jul 22 2009, 11:40 PM']I'd never use it for sources, but it's a good way to get a general idea on a topic, and springboard into legitimate sources.[/quote]

Ditto. I automatically fail any of my courses if I cite Wikipedia. Funny enough, when at the MIT Press Store, one of their top sellers was a book on how to source Wikipedia.

goldenchild17

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1929040' date='Jul 22 2009, 10:37 PM']:detective:[/quote]

generally positive. I would never have survived school (so far) if I didn't use it.

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1929712' date='Jul 23 2009, 03:45 PM']That would be sad if someone doing post-graduate education quoted from Wikipedia.[/quote]

Yeah, that's what I thought. I was surprised she got such a good grade, and was quite angry that he had accidentally sent her paper to me. It was a breach of her privacy, and she is a good friend of mine.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1929515' date='Jul 23 2009, 12:28 PM']When I'm really board, I play a game I like to call Six Degrees of Wikipedia. I pick two seemingly unrelated topics (Mel Blanc and.... Love Canal for example) and see if I can get from one to the other by clicking on links within the articles.[/quote]
Try racing your friends doing that. :))

truthfinder

I generally use wikipedia as a springboard, as well. But one time I was writing an essay where you had to compare two websites, and then compare that to two books, someone had writen in wikipedia that the 1837 rebellion happened in 1822. (You can still find it in the edit or history tab, or whatever they call it.) Basically, it was the history faculty's way of saying use books, or we'll use them on you :getaclue:

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1929515' date='Jul 23 2009, 02:28 PM']I use it for non-research stuff... when a celebrity has died... What network was I Dream of Jeanie on? (NBC) etc. really nitpicky stuff. It's fast and usually pretty accurate on that stuff... and if it's not, it's not life or death to me.[/quote]
lol i do the same thing

• 3 weeks later...
TeresaBenedicta

Generally positive. I'll use it if I just want to get a general idea of something or another. But I take it all with a grain of salt. I might check out a subject on Wiki before researching... although I'm more likely to start with my Encyclopedia of Philosophy (most of my research is philosophy).

Wikipedia=the #2 ultimate online time-waster (#1 being facebook) :D

If someone wants info on Catholicism that's more accurate, they could check out conservapedia. It was made by a guy who I think is Catholic (he's the son of Phyllis Schlafely who is hardcore Catholic).

As for someone changing the editions that someone makes on Catholicism, why would someone do that unless they were literally trying to get out false info on the matter? The only person who I could think of who would do that is an anti-Catholic, and I don't think many of the people who look at Wikipedia are anti-Catholics.