An Old School Catholic Message Board

Wikipedia

Resurrexi

42 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Wikipedia and Lab Tests online saved my life in school. Both were very easy and accessible. I used it mostly on school assignments that didn't matter.

However, that being said, some of the stuff on the site is incorrect and should not be used for research or to back one's statements. I never used it on a paper.

Nihil Obstat

I'd never use it for sources, but it's a good way to get a general idea on a topic, and springboard into legitimate sources.

Vincent Vega

Completely positive.
I use it for tons of things. I never cite it, but identical information is usually found on the cited sources (of course, if a page has no sources, it's not hard to learn to ignore it and others like it).

eagle_eye222001

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1929056' date='Jul 22 2009, 11:40 PM']I'd never use it for sources, but it's a good way to get a general idea on a topic, and springboard into legitimate sources.[/quote]

ditto.

----------------
Now playing: [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/artist/hans+zimmer+%26+james+newton+howard/track/im+not+a+hero+(album+version)"]Hans Zimmer & James Newton Howard - I'm Not A Hero (Album Version)[/url]
via [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/signatunes/"]FoxyTunes[/url]

i was never allowed to use it on research papers, but on small papers i usually got away with it. it's fun to browse when bored.... :mellow:

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='rachael' post='1929096' date='Jul 22 2009, 10:54 PM']i was never allowed to use it on research papers, but on small papers i usually got away with it. it's fun to browse when bored.... :mellow:[/quote]
I can literally spend three or more hours on there tabbing... done it before.
If I get on a roll on a particular subject, no problem.

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1929101' date='Jul 22 2009, 09:55 PM']I can literally spend three or more hours on there tabbing... done it before.
If I get on a roll on a particular subject, no problem.[/quote]
That happens to me all the time. I can't help but expand my knowledge when I'm there.

Nihil Obstat

I once spent an entire evening, which was three or four hours, linking through physics topics. Can't understand any of it, but quarks and black holes and further dimensions are SO COOL to read about. :P

The thing that I don't like about Wikipedia is that their articles relating to Catholicism are often incorrect.

Vincent Vega

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1929146' date='Jul 22 2009, 11:18 PM']The thing that I don't like about Wikipedia is that their articles relating to Catholicism are often incorrect.[/quote]
In what sense?

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' post='1929147' date='Jul 22 2009, 11:19 PM']In what sense?[/quote]

I would say in the same sense that the secular press often gets things wrong about Catholicism.

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1929146' date='Jul 23 2009, 12:18 AM']The thing that I don't like about Wikipedia is that their articles relating to Catholicism are often incorrect.[/quote]
Do you make corrections? You really should.

If the phorum isn't giving me enough debate entertainment, I sometimes check the "discussion" areas of Catholic pages. People get soooooo upset that those topics are even up! :lol: