An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is Fornication A Lesser Sin If Marriage Is Prevented By An Outside For

Don John of Austria

[quote name='StColette' post='1933206' date='Jul 27 2009, 03:19 PM']I think Winchester is trying to point out that in some places (a long time ago) did not have access to a priest on a regular basis. Some places would go years upon years without a priest, deacon, or bishop coming through their area.

I guess a scenario that pops into my head is two baptized Catholics get stranded on an island with no hopes of ever being rescued. Makes me think of the movie Blue Lagoon lol[/quote]
My scenario was the last survivors of a zombie apocalypse (lawl) :mellow:

[quote name='Don John of Austria' post='1933238' date='Jul 27 2009, 04:22 PM']Well while Blue Lagoon would apply, one need not go into an exotic local or the distant past, all one must do is go to rural Mexico to find people who may not see a priest for more than a year. THese people are not expected to wait until a priest gets around to them, but are allowed to MArry publicly and have it blessed by the Church when the priest comes by. In developed countries modern transportation has reduced this need, but it still goes on in many parts of the world.[/quote]
So how would they make it publicly known? Go to the Church with friends, make vows in front of them, then wait for a priest to eventually come?

Don John of Austria

[quote name='Sacred Music Man' post='1933286' date='Jul 27 2009, 05:55 PM']So how would they make it publicly known? Go to the Church with friends, make vows in front of them, then wait for a priest to eventually come?[/quote]

Yes. Then move in together, tell everyone thatthey are married. Live as married people. Have children... etc. etc.

[quote name='Don John of Austria' post='1933291' date='Jul 27 2009, 05:08 PM']Yes. Then move in together, tell everyone thatthey are married. Live as married people. Have children... etc. etc.[/quote]

That's what my parents did for over 30 years. When it was time for my mom to apply for social security they had to make it legal to have a piece of paper for the government. We didn't find out until years after my dad died.

Don John of Austria

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1933302' date='Jul 27 2009, 06:26 PM']That's what my parents did for over 30 years. When it was time for my mom to apply for social security they had to make it legal to have a piece of paper for the government. We didn't find out until years after my dad died.[/quote]
Well I am not really speaking of a common law thing, but simply a marriage without the witness of the church do to lack of an available Church representitive. However, if your parents lived in a suitably remote area, it might have been necessary.

This is concequince of people being in places where they don't have access to a priest.

[quote name='Don John of Austria' post='1933310' date='Jul 27 2009, 05:36 PM']Well I am not really speaking of a common law thing, but simply a marriage without the witness of the church do to lack of an available Church representitive. However, if your parents lived in a suitably remote area, it might have been necessary.

This is concequince of people being in places where they don't have access to a priest.[/quote]

Oh, they had access to a priest, it was my father's stubbornness in refusing to go through with the annulment process, even though he had automatic grounds. My mom wanted to be married in the church or not at all. 30 years of stalemate.

I was reading a story about the church in North Korea, and I could imagine this kind of thing happening there.