An Old School Catholic Message Board

Banned Books

Resurrexi

53 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Archaeology cat

[quote name='fidei defensor' post='1925798' date='Jul 20 2009, 10:58 PM']Books written about condemned things aren't as helpful as reading the books themselves. You have to try to understand from the point of the author, not to agree, but to get a grasp on their argument in order to better structure your own.[/quote]
Yep. A primary source is always going to be the most accurate in understanding what that person/culture/whatever thinks (coming from my archaeology/history background, of course). Reading something [i]about [/i]something else will almost invariably have the author's views colouring the opinion. While that isn't necessarily a bad thing, it doesn't always help in understanding the original point-of-view.

Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam

[quote name='Archaeology cat' post='1926504' date='Jul 21 2009, 11:33 AM']Yep. A primary source is always going to be the most accurate in understanding what that person/culture/whatever thinks (coming from my archaeology/history background, of course). Reading something [i]about [/i]something else will almost invariably have the author's views colouring the opinion. While that isn't necessarily a bad thing, it doesn't always help in understanding the original point-of-view.[/quote]

Good Point.

One also must consider St. Paul. In the same breath that he tells individuals to pray without ceasing he also tells them to "Test everything and keep only what is good" (1 Thessalonians 5:21). If one reads this quote in context and finds that St. Paul is speaking to all individuals, as I do, then one must say that all ideas should be open to tested by each individual for himself since accepting the Church and accepting Christ are personal decisions. This understanding would naturally extend to having all books and ideas open to be tested whether they are ultimately seeking the good or not, especially if one keeps in mind the fruit that such books and ideas bear. Of course it might be prudent to put off some books until one is more informed about the topic but I do not believe that books should be banned.

Edited by Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam

Archaeology cat

[quote name='Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam' post='1926532' date='Jul 21 2009, 05:23 PM']Of course it might be prudent to put off some books until one is more informed about the topic but I do not believe that books should be banned.[/quote]
:yes: I do think it would be great to have official reviews of a lot of the books. If it is recommended that one not read a certain book (not outright banned, but not recommended), then an explanation of why would be good, as well.

Nihil Obstat

It could even be done without too much work. If there was a department dedicated to it, all it would take is a 100 word review or even less for the vast majority of books.

Can you imagine what a cushy job that would be? :lol:

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1926615' date='Jul 21 2009, 01:58 PM']+J.M.J.+
they could twitter it. :mellow:[/quote]

Srsly heretical. Adv. sins, see CCC #s *insert here*

[quote name='BG45' post='1926962' date='Jul 21 2009, 04:34 PM']Srsly heretical. Adv. sins, see CCC #s *insert here*[/quote]
:hehehe:

[quote name='BG45' post='1926962' date='Jul 21 2009, 07:34 PM']Srsly heretical. Adv. sins, see CCC #s *insert here*[/quote]

:hehe:

Edited by Selah

Catholic Church: Bride of Christ
Modern liberties: Idea of drunken Europeans

Pick one.

Edited by Winchester

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Winchester' post='1928149' date='Jul 22 2009, 11:01 AM']Catholic Church: Bride of Christ
Modern liberties: Idea of drunken Europeans

Pick one.[/quote]

I appreciate your criticism of the hegemonic influence dead white men have had on the codification of global ethical norms. Although your initial affirmation of the bride as the submissive and deferential other in that socially constructed, male dominated power structure known as marriage. At least you kept the focus away from American thinkers, who produce the only values not worthy of consideration or respect.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1926597' date='Jul 21 2009, 02:47 PM']Can you imagine what a cushy job that would be? :lol:[/quote]

:yes: For every [i]Calvin's Institutes[/i] there would be like 20 [i]Garfield In the Rough[/i]s