An Old School Catholic Message Board

Banned Books

Resurrexi

53 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I suppose I would have to look into it a bit more but I would probably say no... However, I do think it would be nice if the USCCB would write reviews for popular books, similar to the movie reviews they have. I supposed that wouldn't really be feasible due to the much higher number of books, but I think it would be a good compromise and I do think it is important for the faithful to have some sort of guidance in this area.

Nihil Obstat

How about an 'official' Catholic review for every book that is a best seller? That would be cool.
Banned books though? No, not liking it. Not these days.

[quote name='havok579257' post='1925491' date='Jul 20 2009, 01:19 AM']we do not need a banned book list.[/quote]

The Council of Trent thinks we should have an index of banned books.

Nihil Obstat

Do they say we should always have one, or that it was useful at the time of the Council?

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1925507' date='Jul 20 2009, 01:38 AM']Do they say we should always have one, or that it was useful at the time of the Council?[/quote]

It was obviously a disciplinary decree discussing what should be done at the time of the Council. It must be noted, though, that from then until 1966 there was always an Index of Banned Books, so it wasn't something only useful for the 1500s.

Though the Pope certainly had the authority to abolish the Index, I think it would be beneficial for it still to exist so that Catholics can know what books are dangerous.

Edited by Resurrexi

Nihil Obstat

If it was abolished in 1966, it would be reasonable to suggest that it hadn't been necessary for some time, just not pressing to scrap it immediately.
I think some direction on books would be beneficial, but I don't believe an index of banned books is the way to go anymore.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1925516' date='Jul 20 2009, 01:50 AM']If it was abolished in 1966, it would be reasonable to suggest that it hadn't been necessary for some time, just not pressing to scrap it immediately.
I think some direction on books would be beneficial, but I don't believe an index of banned books is the way to go anymore.[/quote]

The Index was indeed being used up to the time when it was abolished. The Index was updated with new dangerous books on a regular basis. The last edition of the Index was published 1948, not too long before the Index was abolished.

Nihil Obstat

Sure it was updated, but was it really necessary? In the latter half of the 1900s, was it necessary?

[quote name='Kitty' post='1925520' date='Jul 20 2009, 01:59 AM']What's the point of banning books anyway? Don't like em, don't read em.[/quote]

The point is so that the faithful know what books are dangerous.

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1925522' date='Jul 20 2009, 03:00 AM']The point is so that the faithful know what books are dangerous.[/quote]

That's what book reviews are for...

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1925521' date='Jul 20 2009, 02:00 AM']Sure it was updated, but was it really necessary? In the latter half of the 1900s, was it necessary?[/quote]

There are many books that the faithful should know to avoid. Liberation theology comes to mind.