An Old School Catholic Message Board

God's Existence

dairygirl4u2c

dairygirl4u2c

[quote name='Hilde' date='10 July 2010 - 02:54 AM' timestamp='1278744896' post='2140618']
um what?

Are you saying atheists believe there is an uncased cause that is not god?

In many religions the attributes of a god is that he is creative and doesn't follow the natural rules. So something uncaused that causes something would have similar attributes to that of many religions. Some believe that he created something and stepped away, and some say he still watchesus and intervenes.
[/quote]

yeah, i know of a few that believe that.
plus, at least philsophically, i dont know how one would argue that there is not such thing as an uncaused cause. it just makes sense. even if we get into the primordial soup stuff, or the quantum stuff mentioned as alternatives to 'God', those things would have been uncaused causes. course, it's possible there was an infinite chain of cause and effect (mind blowing for sure if so), and im sure most wold acknowledge that possibliity.

either way though, an uncaused cause, or an infinite chain, are both things we've never seen as humans. bikes rolling taht we'd attribute to a cause, is nothing to compare with these things. so, as those for "god" or those against the idea.... we shouldnt be assuming we can simply necessarily use an alaogy and it be perfect, cause these concepts are distinctly different at their purest form.

anyways, id assume most atheists would go for the 'uncaused cause' concept. could be wrong. most of this is just fluff, the disagreements, pertaining to what it means to argue 'God' did it.

[quote name='dairygirl4u2c' date='10 July 2010 - 09:25 AM' timestamp='1278768303' post='2140713']
yeah, i know of a few that believe that.
plus, at least philsophically, i dont know how one would argue that there is not such thing as an uncaused cause. it just makes sense. even if we get into the primordial soup stuff, or the quantum stuff mentioned as alternatives to 'God', those things would have been uncaused causes. course, it's possible there was an infinite chain of cause and effect (mind blowing for sure if so), and im sure most wold acknowledge that possibliity.

either way though, an uncaused cause, or an infinite chain, are both things we've never seen as humans. bikes rolling taht we'd attribute to a cause, is nothing to compare with these things. so, as those for "god" or those against the idea.... we shouldnt be assuming we can simply necessarily use an alaogy and it be perfect, cause these concepts are distinctly different at their purest form.

anyways, id assume most atheists would go for the 'uncaused cause' concept. could be wrong. most of this is just fluff, the disagreements, pertaining to what it means to argue 'God' did it.
[/quote]
[img]https://www.t-mobilepictures.com/myalbum/photos/photo17/ab/af/c9fbd84d460c__1278746228000.jpg[/img]

dairygirl4u2c

im speaking without explaining every premise and assumption. i assume the readers have read my initial postings, and are familiar with it. it's like walking ito the middle of a conversation and not knowing what they are takling about, cause they speak too vague given they dont need to explain everything to you but undersatnd all previosly said assumptios.
or, it's like jumping into the middle of a work of philsophy, and not knowing what he's talking about, cause you didn't start at the beginning, etc.
plus im just generally sloppy sometimes. more of the above stuff, though.

• 6 months later...

[font="Tahoma"][size="2"]Go to [url="http://www.peterkreeft.com/featured-writing.htm"]www.peterkreeft.com/featured-writing.htm[/url][/size][/font]

[font="Tahoma"] [/font][font="Tahoma"][size="2"]I also highly recommend,[/size][/font]
[font="Tahoma"] [/font]
[font="Tahoma"][size="2"]BOOKS:[/size][/font]
[font="Tahoma"][size="2"]- Because God Is Real: Sixteen Questions, One Answer by PeterKreeft[/size][/font]
[font="Tahoma"][size="2"]- The Privileged Planet by Guillermo Gonzalez [there's a DVD,but the book is more in depth][/size][/font]
[font="Tahoma"][font="arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif"]- [/font][size="2"]A Meaningful World: How the Arts and Sciences Reveal theGenius of Nature by Ben Wiker[/size][/font]
[font="Tahoma"] [/font]
[font="Tahoma"][size="2"]DVD:[/size][/font]
[font="Tahoma"][font="arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif"]- [/font][size="2"]Wonders of God's Creation, Vol. 1-6 [/size][/font]
[font="Tahoma"][font="arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif"]- [/font][size="2"]Unlocking the Mystery of Life[/size][/font]

Edited by Papist

u aren't going to get Scientific proof of God obviously... He constrained to the natural world...so hypothesis testing is out the window... you have to investigate Him spiritually...

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='CatherineM' timestamp='1248063726' post='1925294']
You should see the movie "Expelled."
[/quote]
I've only read the first two posts of this thread so far but I must say that "Expelled" is an extremely trashy propaganda piece which deserves to be shunned by honest religious believers imo.

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' timestamp='1295896045' post='2203846']
I've only read the first two posts of this thread so far but I must say that "Expelled" is an extremely trashy propaganda piece which deserves to be shunned by honest religious believers imo.
[/quote]
Bah. I watched it and it wasn't bad at all.

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1295911181' post='2203969']
Bah. I watched it and it wasn't bad at all.
[/quote]
I found the film's level of flim flam to be nauseating and intolerable. It is about as bad as Dawkins' documentary The God Delusion (formerly The Root of All Evil?) in my opinion. Okay, maybe not quite that bad. I really don't think that such films are a good way for people to learn about serious issues. My opinion of that movie is similar to my opinion of the Intelligent Design movement in general: cr[s][/s]ap. My review in a nutshell: slimy journalistic dishonesty promoting junk science in a highly patronizing and radicalized manner.

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1295917571' post='2204016']
I don't remember it promoting any science of any sort. Even junk science.
[/quote]
Me too, intelligent design is not science. But, the film pretends that it is so, and perhaps the primary purpose of the film is to allege the legitimacy of the intelligent design movement. Did we watch the same movie?

Mark of the Cross

[quote name='dairygirl4u2c' timestamp='1278768303' post='2140713']
yeah, i know of a few that philsophically believe that.
plus, at least , i dont know how one would as an uncaused cause. it just makes sense. even if we get into the primordial soup stuff, or the quantum stuff mentioned as alternatives to 'God', argue that there is not such thing those things would have been there was an infinite chain of (mind blowing for sure if so), and im sure most wold uncaused causes. course, it's possible acknowledge cause and effect that possibliity.

either way though, are both things we've never seen as humans. bikes rolling taht we'd attribute to a an uncaused cause, or an infinite chain, cause, is nothing to compare so, as those uncaused causes. course for "god" or those against the idea... with these things.. we shouldnt be assuming we can simply necessarily use an uncaused causes. course alaogy and it be perfect, cause these concepts are distinctly different at their purest form.

anyways, id assume concept. could be wrong. most of this is just fluff, the disagreements, most atheists would go for the 'uncaused cause' uncaused causes. course pertaining to what it means to argue 'God' did it uncaused causes. course
[/quote]

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1278773597' post='2140724']
[img]https://www.t-mobilepictures.com/myalbum/photos/photo17/ab/af/c9fbd84d460c__1278746228000.jpg[/img]
[/quote]

I rearranged it does it make sense now or was I too sloppy?

Edited by Mark of the Cross

Alot of people say God doesn't exist, because "if he did, then why is there suffering and sorrow and evil in the world? why is there cancer and aids? If God is good, wouldn't the world only be good?" and on and on. But like my friend Thomas Aquinas says, God exists and God is ultimate good because rather than there just being good, he created evil, so as to get good out of evil.

Err.. umm... something like that. :P

infinitelord1

[quote name='AudreyGrace' timestamp='1296189671' post='2205560']
Alot of people say God doesn't exist, because "if he did, then why is there suffering and sorrow and evil in the world? why is there cancer and aids? If God is good, wouldn't the world only be good?" and on and on. But like my friend Thomas Aquinas says, God exists and God is ultimate good because rather than there just being good, he created evil, so as to get good out of evil.

Err.. umm... something like that. :P
[/quote]

I dont believe that God created evil. I think he created something and it chose to become evil out of its own freewill.