An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Life Of Sin

dairygirl4u2c

13 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The things the church teaches are pretty much the most healthy way to live, so I don't know why I'd want to change.

faithfulrock3r

i honestly cannot vote for any of the above because if God did not exist, then neither would I. A world without God just doesn't make any logical sense; how am I supposed to imagine how I would act in a world that I cannot concieve of?

Option 3.

There are certain specifically Catholic teachings that make my life very, very difficult. If I didn't think God (and his church) existed, I could follow a much easier path.

But I wouldn't be totally immoral either. That's just dumb.

Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam

I honestly cannot say. I know that Aristotle offers a rational system of ethics and objective morality in his Nicomachean Ethics. However, I know myself fairly well and I know my strengths but I know my weaknesses as well. I don't think that I would engage in the same moral life as I do now. Naturally some things would change and there wouldn't be the whole grace factor for strength. Obviously my relationship to women would change. I would not relate to women as sisters in Christ but rather simply as how Justice would demand I treat them. Hope and Love would not be virtues since they are theological virtues and to some extent rely on God's existence to be virtues although they would still benefit society. I think then Justice would be the highest virtue...but I am getting off topic. I hope I would be strong enough to follow the light of reason to objective morality and not be overwhelmed by my passions if grace were taken from me (since there would be no God-if I understand the topic correctly), but ultimately do not know.

Edited by Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam

Kinda what Philothea said. I'm no where near being a saint, and I already stuggle alot,but the Church's teachings and God's encouragement help keep my life on track. As much as I would like to say that I would keep on the way I am if there was no God and Church, what would I be following?

Vincent Vega

[quote name='philothea' post='1925209' date='Jul 19 2009, 11:09 PM']But I wouldn't be totally immoral either. That's just dumb.[/quote]
There would be no meter of immorality, though.
It would be a world of total anarchy, because Natural Law would not have been revealed, so there'd be no need for governments because there'd be no need to ensure people behave lawfully. (Just) laws are ultimately derived from Natural Law, which is in turn a subsect Divine law (confirmation on this fact from someone more learned?). So we'd still pretty much be our savage ancestors, living in small, clan-type "societies" which are realistically more like small symbiotic hunting/gathering communities.

dairygirl4u2c

some interesting points about grace mentioned. ie, wihtout God, there'd be no graces etc. i guess i'd have to throw in that there's be grace like phenomenon occuring. what we perceive as grace is just our imagination now, and it'd exist then in that hypothetical world i spoke of.

it's tough for me to say.
i'd like to think my basis for morality isn't just 'cause God exists'. that makes atheists/agnostics look down on the system one has, given they'd say it shouldn't matter- why assume he does as far as ethics etc is concerned, even if ya believe in him? why isn't it the same-- what you'd conceive of as ethical without God, the same as what you'd consider ethical with God (assuming you'd stive for an aristotle system of ethics without God?) are we just buying into what we're 'suppose to do' instead of 'what's right'? most would prob say they'd still be ethical without God, so it matters.

if ya read between the lines, i'm pursuing a more 'objective' basis for morality, other than 'just cause God exists' with all the baggage that entails. -- i\
t'd also be nice if we could make a system regardless of God's existance, but if at the end of the day i'm only moral cause God exists, well, so be it.

eg, 'it makes sense not to steal little things from others,,, cause if all do it, then it'd be chaos' tragedy of the commons etc. 'but, if only a few deviate from what's stuppse to happen, you'd be the one that's raking it in' what ultimately keeps you from stealing little things? i think i'd say without God, 'it's just wrong', but i'm not sure i can say why-- i guess it's just a matter of principle.

Edited by dairygirl4u2c

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' post='1925235' date='Jul 19 2009, 10:43 PM']There would be no (Just) laws are ultimately derived from Natural Law, which is in turn a subsect Divine law (confirmation on this fact from someone more learned?).[/quote]

The natural law is the participation of the rational creature in the eternal law, which is the God's Wisdom by which He directs His creatures.

Divine law refers to laws that God has revealed to us that we could not know merely though the natural light of human reason. The dietary laws of the Old Testament and Great Commission of the New would be examples of divine law.

Edited by Resurrexi

elizabeth09

If God did not exist then who will forgive our sin?

Edited by elizabeth09

[quote name='elizabeth09' post='1925330' date='Jul 20 2009, 12:42 AM']If God did not exist then who will forgive our sin?[/quote]

I suppose there really wouldn't be sin if God did not exist.

[quote name='Caritas' post='1925356' date='Jul 19 2009, 11:53 PM']I suppose there really wouldn't be sin if God did not exist.[/quote]

If God didn't exist nothing would.

All things now rely upon Him for their continued existence.

Yes, I'm sure I sound crazy to some people, but I honestly cannot imagine how life would exist without God. I know for certain that I am not made by myself, and I know I cannot keep myself living. If I could, my life would be way different than it is now. So that leaves me with either I'm made and sustained by Another, or I, you all, and everything that was, is, and will be, is just random chance. Now, obviously I cannot see God right now, and neither could anyone else, and any attempt to find Him is futile. Now if God didn't show, I would probably doubt He was there, and live the rest of my short days in despair.

But He did show.

We could not come to Him, so He came to us, as one of us. A man named Jesus walked earth about 2,000 years ago, claiming to be the Son of God, and being a Way to the Father. If Jesus spoke the Truth, He is the answer to the mystery. In fact, he [u]is[/u] the mystery. But in order to verify that He is as He says, I need to be directly with Him. I believe I have found His presence to be in His Church. I could be wrong, but I do not think I am.

So the question, for me anyway, is not, "Where is God?", but, "Who is Jesus of Nazareth?" If I answer that, all else falls into place.