An Old School Catholic Message Board

Health Care Bill Will Fund State Vaccine Teams

cmotherofpirl

Nihil Obstat

My biggest question: could these teams force vaccinations that the parents didn't want their children getting? Specifically thinking about the HPV vaccine.

[quote name='Hassan' post='1923553' date='Jul 18 2009, 01:31 AM']Many people are poorly educated and simply to lazy or stupid to care for themselves.[/quote]

Many people are also poorly educated and simply [i]too[/i] lazy or stupid to use the words [i]to[/i], [i]too[/i], and [i]two[/i] correctly.

:P

Edited by Resurrexi

princessgianna

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1924046' date='Jul 18 2009, 08:04 PM']Many people are also poorly educated and simply [i]too[/i] lazy or stupid to use the words [i]to[/i], [i]too[/i], and [i]two[/i] correctly.

:P[/quote]
And some people obviously have don't have a job! :mellow:

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1924046' date='Jul 18 2009, 08:04 PM']Many people are also poorly educated and simply [i]too[/i] lazy or stupid to use the words [i]to[/i], [i]too[/i], and [i]two[/i] correctly.

:o

Wait, can they barge into the home or just knock on your door and ask? I'm confused about the language in the bill.

[quote name='Hassan' post='1923553' date='Jul 18 2009, 02:31 AM']Because many of these viruses used to be huge killers. It's not just a matter of you taking care of yourself. Immunizations and vaccinations of diseases effects the whole population.

And no. Many people are not capable of doing so. Many people are poorly educated and simply to lazy or stupid to care for themselves. When that only harms them then fair enough. In America one has a right to be a lazy idiot. But when it comes to matters like this an individual can't put huge numbers at risk of a dangerous illness for the sake of their obstinance. Moreover, at times children must be protected from their parents failures of judgment.[/quote]

Wait a minute. I thought we took care of this with public education. And they even come to your door (or close to it) to pick your children up because otherwise children couldn't get to school. We were suppose to have a more learned country. So, these people would know how to care for their children. I think this idea has failed, at least in some communities.

Also, we have a program called Parents as Teachers. It was suppose to help young mothers (16-20) with their young children. They are considered "at risk" because the moms are so young. Well, everyone wanted it (as I heard) and so it is offered to everyone. Problem? They check out the parents more than the kids. But of course they don't tell you that. They make sure the mom is doing her job and the house is appropriate. Wouldn't this be education in getting kids vaccinated without offering them door to door? Everyone is told about this program in the hospital and very encouraged to sign up.

[quote name='Archaeology cat' post='1923569' date='Jul 18 2009, 02:36 AM']Yes, I agree. I think it could genuinely be helpful for people to come out and offer vaccines, making sure the parents are educated about them, and making sure they have access to them regardless of transportation or health care. I obviously don't think it should be forced, but offering it seems good. They don't come round to the house to give the immunisations here, but for the first few months they come out to check on you and the baby and give you the info on the immunisations and everything to make sure you don't have any questions, and I quite like that. (Something like that might also keep all women from having to undergo screening for PPD after birth, something that is mandated in one state, I think).

Very much agreed.[/quote]

Have you had baby lately? It is next to impossible getting out of the hospital. They throw formula at you. And give you a courtesy ride to your car. Ha! They are really making sure you have a car seat to take the baby home in. Now, I am all for car seats. My children have to be in them and/or a seat belt before the car gets started. I am glad, however, to get out of the the hospital and on with my life. I don't want anyone coming to my home checking me out to see if I am a good parent.

Archaeology cat

[quote name='Angel*Star' post='1925489' date='Jul 20 2009, 07:17 AM']Have you had baby lately? It is next to impossible getting out of the hospital. They throw formula at you. And give you a courtesy ride to your car. Ha! They are really making sure you have a car seat to take the baby home in. Now, I am all for car seats. My children have to be in them and/or a seat belt before the car gets started. I am glad, however, to get out of the the hospital and on with my life. I don't want anyone coming to my home checking me out to see if I am a good parent.[/quote]
My son is 19.5 months, so yes. Though of course I wasn't in the US, and am quite glad, considering what I've heard about how things are handled there for childbirth/postnatal care. I might not want a health visitor coming out after that, either, I don't know.

I left the hospital after 24 hours (the minimum stay with the first child). I definitely wasn't given any formula, since they exclusively teach about breastfeeding here. They did ring a taxi for me. They came out the next day to make sure my stitches weren't infected or anything, and to ask if I was doing well with breastfeeding. Nothing more invasive than that. They then came out every few days to make sure my son didn't have jaundice or anything, and to do the blood spot screening (which I could have opted out of if I wished). I was genuinely glad I didn't have to go anywhere, but that they came to me. I don't have a car, and it was December, so I didn't want to get out in the biting wind.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1924046' date='Jul 18 2009, 10:04 PM']Many people are also poorly educated and simply [i]too[/i] lazy or stupid to use the words [i]to[/i], [i]too[/i], and [i]two[/i] correctly.

Kindly stop correcting other people, its tiresome and rude.

:ohno: Bad, bad, bad idea.

I got vaccinated for Chicken Pox when I was in 5th grade. Didn't know that it was developed using aborted babies. :(

People should have the right to refuse certain vaccines, especially because there are ethical problems with some of them, but also because they can be dangerous. If the government starts coming over to your house to "encourage" you and "instruct" you about vaccinations, it'll be no time before they don't even ask.

Lounge Daddy

[quote name='zunshynn' post='1925587' date='Jul 20 2009, 11:04 AM']If the government starts coming over to your house to "encourage" you and "instruct" you about vaccinations, it'll be no time before they don't even ask.[/quote]

George Washington warned that Government needs to remain as small as possible, and that Government should be used as little as possible. His argument was based on his observation that G[b]overnment is force[/b]. Interestingly, Marx also believed that Government is force, and that's why he thought that Government should be as massive as possible and be used often.

My point is that we will see more of this kind of thing as the Federal State continues to expand.

You're dead on Lounge Daddy.

[quote name='zunshynn' post='1925587' date='Jul 20 2009, 11:04 AM']If the government starts coming over to your house to "encourage" you and "instruct" you about vaccinations, it'll be no time before they don't even ask.[/quote]

That would be a direct violation of the Fourth Amendment, and hopefully the Supreme Court would step in, but these days you never know with how the court has ruled recently.

Edited by reelguy227

Don John of Austria

[quote name='Hassan' post='1923553' date='Jul 18 2009, 02:31 AM']Because many of these viruses used to be huge killers. It's not just a matter of you taking care of yourself. Immunizations and vaccinations of diseases effects the whole population.

And no. Many people are not capable of doing so. Many people are poorly educated and simply to lazy or stupid to care for themselves. When that only harms them then fair enough. In America one has a right to be a lazy idiot. But when it comes to matters like this an individual can't put huge numbers at risk of a dangerous illness for the sake of their obstinance. Moreover, at times children must be protected from their parents failures of judgment.[/quote]

This is really not applicable, the only one endangered by lack of vaccination are those not vaccinated.

I don't care if they want to come around and offer vaccinations to people, as long as they leave if the person says no.

If someone wants force any medical procedure on my children that I do not approve of the discussion is going to be short and sweet.

It will start with "BANG" and end with "BANG,BANG".

THen I'll see if Coyote's can get you across the other direction on my way to a non extradition country.

Our country is becoming increasingly tyrannical because we allow it to be. The founders would be ashamed.

[quote name='Don John of Austria' post='1928743' date='Jul 22 2009, 08:55 PM']This is really not applicable, the only one endangered by lack of vaccination are those not vaccinated.

I don't care if they want to come around and offer vaccinations to people, as long as they leave if the person says no.

If someone wants force any medical procedure on my children that I do not approve of the discussion is going to be short and sweet.

THen I'll see if Coyote's can get you across the other direction on my way to a non extradition country.

Our country is becoming increasingly tyrannical because we allow it to be. The founders would be ashamed.[/quote]

I second you completely.

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='Don John of Austria' post='1928743' date='Jul 22 2009, 06:55 PM']This is really not applicable, the only one endangered by lack of vaccination are those not vaccinated.

Our country is becoming increasingly tyrannical because we allow it to be. The founders would be ashamed.[/quote]
I agree. But at the same time, the reason why people feel so comfortable not being vaccinated is because mass vaccination in the past has nearly wiped out these diseases. If we become lax on vaccination now, they'll return and there will be a real danger to those who haven't been vaccinated.