An Old School Catholic Message Board

Catholics And Sinful Friendship

Resurrexi

35 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

heavenseeker

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1922518' date='Jul 17 2009, 03:20 AM']Every time I would take to him, he would try to argue about religion with me and show me that atheism is correct, even when I had no desire to argue.[/quote]
have you told him that it bothers you that he does this? if you have and he is still doing it then i can understand.

[quote name='OraProMe' post='1922526' date='Jul 17 2009, 02:28 AM']So when you ignored his calls do you think he wanted to debate religion?

Right.[/quote]

If someone is a proximate occasion of sin, one should avoid that person.

I know that you reject a number of the Church's teachings, so I have no idea if you believe that we should avoid near occasions of sin. I, however, do believe that unnecessary proximate occasions of sin are to be avoided.

[quote name='OraProMe' post='1922534' date='Jul 17 2009, 02:37 AM']Avoiding the question, buddy :D[/quote]

I am pretty sure that I answered it.

I didn't answer his calls since he is a near occasion of sin.

When I go to confession, I resolve to avoid the persons, places, and things that easily lead me to sin.

Someone who constantly tries to get others (not just me) to abandon Christianity and whose conversations are constantly and unnecessarily lewd seems to me like a person who would lead me to sin.

Even if he did not argue about religion, his conversation was still anything but pure, and usually the conversation would somehow turn to religion.

That said, do you or do you not believe that we are to avoid near occasions of sin?

[quote name='OraProMe' post='1922535' date='Jul 17 2009, 02:38 AM']This is why I can't take you seriously anymore. So much Latin, so little charity and experience.[/quote]

Do you think that I take someone seriously who accepts most of what the Church teaches but denies several important dogmas?

[quote name='OraProMe' post='1922544' date='Jul 17 2009, 02:45 AM']Yes. But I think we'd disagree on what constitutes an occasion of sin or even sin itself.[/quote]

I'm sure that most who post on Phatmass would say that several actions that you hold to be innocuous are actually gravely sinful.

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1922546' date='Jul 17 2009, 02:48 AM']I'm sure that most who post on Phatmass would say that several actions that you hold to be innocuous are actually gravely sinful.[/quote]

So would I. What's your point?

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1922545' date='Jul 17 2009, 02:45 AM']Do you think that I take someone seriously who accepts most of what the Church teaches but denies several important dogmas?[/quote]

1. I don't think you understand my position, because I don't accept a few dogma's and deny others.

2. I don't think you take anyone seriously if they disagree with you. Which you've proven with your little anecdote. That's your problem.

Edited by OraProMe

[quote name='OraProMe' post='1922547' date='Jul 17 2009, 02:57 AM']So would I. What's your point?[/quote]

I'm genuinely interested to hear what these things are that I apparently feel are morally acceptable but many others here feel are not morally acceptable.

[quote name='OraProMe' post='1922548' date='Jul 17 2009, 02:58 AM']1. I don't think you understand my position, because I don't accept a few dogma's and deny others.[/quote]

I know that you didn't accept the immorality of homosexual acts.

I know that you also apparently didn't feel that the Church should be telling couples what sort of sex is acceptable, which seems to imply that other sexual acts that the Church holds to be immoral are actually acceptable.

You are, according to the thread on England, considering becoming Anglican, which seems to imply that you do not believe that the Church of Christ [i]subsistit in[/i] the Catholic Church.

I may be totally mistaken on all three of these accounts, so I apologize if they do not correctly reflect your views.

Edited by Resurrexi

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1922551' date='Jul 17 2009, 03:12 AM']I'm genuinely interested to hear what these things are that I apparently feel are morally acceptable but many others here feel are not morally acceptable.

I know that you didn't accept the immorality of homosexual acts.

I know that you also apparently didn't feel that the Church should be telling couples what sort of sex is acceptable, which seems to imply that other sexual acts that the Church holds to be immoral are actually acceptable.

You are, according to the thread on England, considering becoming Anglican, which seems to imply that you do not believe that the Church of Christ [i]subsistit in[/i] the Catholic Church.

I may be totally mistaken on all three of these accounts, so I apologize if they do not correctly reflect your views.[/quote]

Who said that you consider some things here sinful which others don't? I didn't. I said I agree with you. There are many things I consider moral that most here don't.

The homosexuality question has been debated multiple times and no one has provided any reasonable proof that sex must be procreative. But there are other threads for that discussion so we wont go into it, okay?

You should read my posts in the England thread in their proper context. When I said I have lots and lots of study to do. I have this method, right? I think of every single objection I can to a religion/theory and do my best to convince myself that the "other side" is wrong and look at the arguments from both sides. If I get to a point where I can't prove the other side wrong then I start looking at it more objectively.

That way I encounter other peoples beliefs and can still be convinced that I'm right.

The subsistit in would be one of those things I have to do a lot of study on, so please don't make assumptions.

Edited by OraProMe

[quote name='OraProMe' post='1922554' date='Jul 17 2009, 03:25 AM']Who said that you consider some things here sinful which others don't? I didn't. I said I agree with you. There are many things I consider moral that most here don't.[/quote]

I'm sorry. I misunderstood you. :)