An Old School Catholic Message Board

Catholics And Sinful Friendship

Resurrexi

35 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Also, I can tell deep down you know what you did was wrong, Rex. Because you edited your post three times and deleted the bit about ignoring your ex-friends phone calls and ignoring him at school

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1922500' date='Jul 17 2009, 03:07 AM']Malta seems like a nice place.

:mellow:[/quote]

Good on you to want to surround yourself with orthodoxy, but I do think with your knowledge about the Faith, you really could reach a lot of people. Withdrawing from the souls who are so desperately in need of His Mercy doesn't help anyone but yourself, bro. :ohno:

heavenseeker

[quote name='MissyP89' post='1922488' date='Jul 17 2009, 02:56 AM']Well, Ora, I can kinda see where he's coming from. If someone is really dragging you down because of the way they live, it's not healthy for you to stick around. I've bailed on a few friendships for the same reasons.

I'm talking about those friendships where you are just different, like my poly friend and I.

Example...John is gay. I like John. John's sexuality isn't bringing me down. So...there's no reason for me to just stop conversing with him, or ignore him.[/quote]
A) if thats what he was getting at then yeah, but the way he worded it didnt sound like thats what he meant. if being around or even talking to someone is going to be toxic to your soul then you should cut ties with them.

B) but if it is because their way of life or moral belief is different and they refuse to change their mind even after you have given them every reason that has convenced you of your mindset, thats not Christian.

i read it as B. if i read it wrong then my bad

[quote name='Marie-Therese' post='1922502' date='Jul 17 2009, 02:08 AM']Ora, glad to see you. :) Haven't seen your name in a while, I missed you.

Rex...you know I love you, but don't you think that this topic tends dangerously towards excessive scrupulosity? I think the best example to be given by Christians is to do as Christ did (for He came not for the righteous, but for sinners). It is one thing to make plain your feeling about a friend's sinful behavior in a loving and charitable way. It is quite another to shun a sinner.

Your title refers to "sinful friendship." If a friendship is a near occasion of sin for you on a personal level, by all means, you should examine the situation and determine what the course of action is which would be most prudent. However, friendship with a sinner is not "sinful friendship." If that is the case, as others here rightly stated, we are all in a big heap o' trouble.

Would the fact that others were scandalized by your friendship with a public sinner be more grave than your public example of the love of Christ? I think not, IMHO. So long as you keep your relationships within their proper bounds and your personal behavior is without reproach, then I think the bigger issue is concentrating on your own walk. To me, neglecting to minister to the needs of the sinner would be a much graver offense. Christ plainly said that others would hate us for His sake.

Rex, love, do you ask this as a serious question to which you have doubts about a good answer, or are you acting as l'agent provocateur? Intellectual curiousity is good, but think of Kipling and how the elephant got his trunk. :think:[/quote]

Obviously everyone is a sinner; thus, is we were to avoid all sinners, we would have no friends.

I have never stated that we should avoid all sinners. I do think, though, that we should avoid people who are an occasion of sin to us or our association with whom would needlessly cause scandal to others. :)

Edited by Resurrexi

heavenseeker

[quote name='MissyP89' post='1922508' date='Jul 17 2009, 03:13 AM']Good on you to want to surround yourself with orthodoxy, but I do think with your knowledge about the Faith, you really could reach a lot of people. Withdrawing from the souls who are so desperately in need of His Mercy doesn't help anyone but yourself, bro. :ohno:[/quote]
that doesnt even help yourself becaue you are then not doing the work of Christ

Unless your atheist friend is constantly trying to convince you that he's right or your gay friend keeps coming onto you or your girlfriend is adamant that you have pre-marital sex then I don't see why you would end the friendship.

[quote name='OraProMe' post='1922505' date='Jul 17 2009, 02:12 AM']Also, I can tell deep down you know what you did was wrong, Rex. Because you edited your post three times and deleted the bit about ignoring your ex-friends phone calls and ignoring him at school[/quote]

I do not think that what I did was wrong at all.

In fact, at the time, though it was difficult, I prayed much about it and realized that it was God's will that I avoid this person since he was a near occasion of sin to me. (He is not only an atheist who tries to argue with a theist any time one talks to him, his conversation is anything but edifying in terms of chastity).

[quote name='heavenseeker' post='1922512' date='Jul 17 2009, 03:18 AM']that doesnt even help yourself becaue you are then not doing the work of Christ[/quote]

Plus it's not really good, is it? Isolating yourself from everyone or being absorbed in your own little community.

[quote name='OraProMe' post='1922513' date='Jul 17 2009, 02:18 AM']Unless your atheist friend is constantly trying to convince you that he's right or your gay friend keeps coming onto you or your girlfriend is adamant that you have pre-marital sex then I don't see why you would end the friendship.[/quote]

Every time I would take to him, he would try to argue about religion with me and show me that atheism is correct, even when I had no desire to argue.

[quote name='OraProMe' post='1922513' date='Jul 17 2009, 02:18 AM']Unless your atheist friend is constantly trying to convince you that he's right or your gay friend keeps coming onto you or your girlfriend is adamant that you have pre-marital sex then I don't see why you would end the friendship.[/quote]

:yes:

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1922515' date='Jul 17 2009, 03:19 AM']I do not think that what I did was wrong at all.

In fact, at the time, though it was difficult, I prayed much about it and realized that it was God's will that I avoid this person since he was a near occasion of sin to me. (He is not only an atheist who tries to argue with a theist any time one talks to him, his conversation is anything but edifying in terms of chastity).[/quote]

If you're not ashamed of your behaviour then why did you edit your post?

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1922518' date='Jul 17 2009, 02:20 AM']Every time I would take to him, he would try to argue about religion with me and show me that atheism is correct, even when I had no desire to argue.[/quote]

Hm, well that's understandable. You didn't say that at first, made it sound like you just abandoned the poor guy. Someone who constantly tries to convert you would be an attack on faith...and a pain in the posterior.

[quote name='OraProMe' post='1922520' date='Jul 17 2009, 02:20 AM']If you're not ashamed of your behaviour then why did you edit your post?[/quote]

It is not uncommon for me to edit my posts several times.

If you ever look at my posts, you will see that I have edited far more than half of them.

As I have stated before, I have no doubt that what I did was the right thing. In fact, I feel that I would have been going against God's will by continuing to be put my self around this person without any good reason.

Edited by Resurrexi

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1922518' date='Jul 17 2009, 02:20 AM']Every time I would take to him, he would try to argue about religion with me and show me that atheism is correct, even when I had no desire to argue.[/quote]

So when you ignored his calls do you think he wanted to debate religion?

Right.