An Old School Catholic Message Board

Catholics And Sinful Friendship

Resurrexi

35 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

And shunning people because you disapprove of their behaviour will help restore morals to society? You can't save the world by hiding from it.

Edited by OraProMe

[quote name='OraProMe' post='1922465' date='Jul 17 2009, 01:36 AM']And shunning people because you disapprove of their behaviour will help restore morals to society? You can't save the world by hiding from it.[/quote]

To avoid what unnecessarily leads others to sin will help restore morals to society.

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1922348' date='Jul 17 2009, 01:59 AM']Perhaps my example wasn't wonderful, but it isn't much different than the example of a Catholic with a disposition from abstinence eating meat on a Friday in Lent in public without a good reason and without letting those eating with him know that he has a disposition.[/quote]

I in no way intend to sound snarky here, but do you mean 'dispensation'? I kinda went :think: when I read disposition, and wasn't sure.

[quote name='MissyP89' post='1922472' date='Jul 17 2009, 01:39 AM']I in no way intend to sound snarky here, but do you mean 'dispensation'? I kinda went :think: when I read disposition, and wasn't sure.[/quote]

:twitch:

Yes, dispensation is what I meant.

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1922471' date='Jul 17 2009, 02:38 AM']To avoid what unnecessarily leads others to sin will help restore morals to society.[/quote]

But what about the people we avoid? While we may be helping 'others' by avoiding sinners by your logic, what about the sinners themselves? If we dissolve and shun relationships with them, how will they find Christ?

If a house is on fire, should no one care about the people inside, because we're risking ourselves trying to save them?

Edited by MissyP89

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1922471' date='Jul 17 2009, 01:38 AM']To avoid what unnecessarily leads others to sin will help restore morals to society.[/quote]

Cutting yourself off from people who lead sinful lives will provide them with no alternative example.

You're not the only one/thing who can lead people to evil. But (from a Catholic perspective) people like you are the only one's who can lead them away from it.

[quote name='MissyP89' post='1922475' date='Jul 17 2009, 01:42 AM']But what about the people we avoid? While we may be helping 'others' by avoiding sinners by your logic, what about the sinners themselves? If we dissolve and shun relationships with them, how will they find Christ?

If a house is on fire, should no one care about the people inside, because we're risking ourselves trying to save them?[/quote]

If you personally being friends with someone would cause scandal (in many situations it would not), then the best thing you can do for someone would be to pray for him.

I have had a friend in the past whom I decided to avoid. He had become an adamant atheist who hated all religions, especially Catholicism (the religion of the school that he attended). I decided that his friendship was certainly not helping me grow in holiness. If anything, it would only lead me away from God. The only thing I could do to help him was pray for him.

I decided to end our friendship rather than risk my own soul in trying to help the soul of another. Even if one saves 100,000 souls, what will it profit him if he loses his own?

Edited by Resurrexi

Oh my, that is horrid and so stupid. Why couldn't you just agree not to talk about it? Diversity of opinion is a good thing, even if someone is wrong.

Wow, you don't answer his calls. I'm a little disgusted (yeah, I saw it before you edited your post).

And if being friends with an atheist is a danger to your faith then your faith is pretty weak.

Edited by OraProMe

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1922478' date='Jul 17 2009, 02:48 AM']I decided to end our friendship rather than risk my own soul in trying to help the soul of another.[/quote]

That's the Christian spirit. <_<

[quote name='OraProMe' post='1922480' date='Jul 17 2009, 01:49 AM']Oh my, that is horrid and so stupid. Why couldn't you just agree not to talk about it? Diversity of opinion is a good thing, even if someone is wrong.

Wow, you don't answer his calls. I'm a little disgusted (yeah, I saw it before you edited your post).

And if being friends with an atheist is a danger to your faith then you wont survive in a secular world.[/quote]

I don't think that diversity of opinion in matters of dogma is acceptable. In my opinion (as I am sure you know), everyone should be Catholic.

I would like to add that he's not just an atheist. He's also just about the smartest person whom I know. Stupid atheists pose no harm to most people. Intellectual atheists often do.

[quote name='Kitty' post='1922481' date='Jul 17 2009, 02:51 AM']That's the Christian spirit. <_<[/quote]

I know!
Not answering his calls and ignoring him at school, I'm shocked. That's horrible. This is why extreme interpretations of any religion are bad.

heavenseeker

[quote name='Kitty' post='1922481' date='Jul 17 2009, 02:51 AM']That's the Christian spirit. <_<[/quote]
i actually agree with kitty on something?
just kidding not the first time, its just rare.

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1922484' date='Jul 17 2009, 02:53 AM']I don't think that diversity of opinion in matters of dogma is acceptable. In my opinion (as I am sure you know), everyone should be Catholic.

I would like to add that he's not just an atheist. He's also just about the smartest person whom I know. Stupid atheists pose no harm to most people. Intellectual atheists often do.[/quote]

But ditching a friend because they don't agree with you is inconceivable to me.
I, and basically everyone I know, just don't operate that way.