An Old School Catholic Message Board

Catholics And Sinful Friendship

Resurrexi

35 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

You sure seem to be seriously attached to the word "scandal." Maybe you should think about a career in tabloid journalism.

1. Define "scandal".
2. Specify the level of friendship.
3. Describe what the friendship would entail.

I don't feel that I can't answer the question with either yes or no. It seems to me that there wouldn't be a friendship that in itself would be sinful. If you can't stop yourself from sinning because of them, then you should distance yourself. I would say in addition to doing what's best for yourself, though, you should do what's best for that friend: be a friend. Friends don't let friends do certain things. Instead of them being a bad influence on you, you could be a good influence on them. The whole scandal thing is really just a bunch of opinions; opinions can be wrong. If someone doesn't have the testicular fortitude to approach you and ask you for all the info concerning a matter after it "scandalized" them, let them be scandalized. Obama and Bill Ayers is one thing. You and someone who's gay or who does drugs is another. Those who may be scandalized don't even know your relation to them or how deep your friendship is. The other person could be a family member with whom you've always been close or a childhood friend. We don't just dump people because we're scared of what others will think. In truth, what they think doesn't matter, what God thinks matters and he knows all hearts.

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1922198' date='Jul 16 2009, 11:22 PM']You sure seem to be seriously attached to the word "scandal." Maybe you should think about a career in tabloid journalism.[/quote]

:lol_roll:

[quote name='iheartjp2' post='1922202' date='Jul 16 2009, 11:25 PM']1. Define "scandal".[/quote]

"Scandal is an attitude or behavior which leads another to do evil." ([i]Catechism of the Catholic Church[/i], no. 2284)

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1922213' date='Jul 17 2009, 12:33 AM']"Scandal is an attitude or behavior which leads another to do evil." ([i]Catechism of the Catholic Church[/i], no. 2284)[/quote]

So, if I were a friend with someone who was scandalous, it would be sinful for me to be friends with them since others might finger-point and assert needless pride and cast dispersion on us (both of which would be sinful)?

Edited by iheartjp2

It would be a sin to do [i]anything[/i] (including being friends with someone) if doing so would unnecessarily lead others to grave sin.

Edited by Resurrexi

My best friend is kinky and polyamorous. People probably judge me for that, but they can think whatever they want about me--I care very much for him, and he for me, and I hope he sees Christ in me. If others think impure things because I associate with him, that's out of my control.

So...basically you would accuse Christ, our Lord, of engaging in scandal and sin? :ohno:

He did dine with whores, and undoubtedly had rumors spread about him. He associated with tax collectors and traitors, lepers and did work on the Sabbath in the form of healing. Undoubtedly this was seen as scandalous; would that have lead others into grave sin, such as crucifying the Son of God?

KnightofChrist

Christ was friends with sinners He asked to repent or they where repentant. I'd like to know where Christ made friends with a unrepentant sinner, honestly I can't think of one.

KnightofChrist

The important part that some here are forgetting is should we have a friendship with a person who would be an unnecessary near occasion? If there is no way other way, such as the person will not repent, not change their ways, and has, can, and probably lead you into their sin. The friendship should be dissolved.

Res,

Scandal when used in theology has an all together different meaning than "oh my, Resurrexi that devout Catholic is friends with a girl that gives quickies behind the playground!" *SHOCKHORROR*

• Definition: “Some word or deed that (1) is itself evil, or (2) has the appearance of evil, AND (3) provides an occasion of sin for another.” Prümmer, Moral Theology.

How does associating with a sinner, but disagreeing with their sin, lead others to sin? The only example it provides is to hate sin but love the sinner.

[quote name='BG45' post='1922280' date='Jul 17 2009, 12:17 AM']So...basically you would accuse Christ, our Lord, of engaging in scandal and sin? :ohno:

He did dine with whores, and undoubtedly had rumors spread about him. He associated with tax collectors and traitors, lepers and did work on the Sabbath in the form of healing. Undoubtedly this was seen as scandalous; would that have lead others into grave sin, such as crucifying the Son of God?[/quote]

If Christ did give scandal, He would have done so for a grave reason. Committing an action that would be scandalous is acceptable for a grave reason.

Also, those to whom He could have given scandal might have been so depraved that His actions really had no influence on their being scandalized. (They would have been scandalized no matter what He did). In that case the sin of scandal would not have been committed.

[quote name='OraProMe' post='1922296' date='Jul 17 2009, 12:27 AM']Res,

Scandal when used in theology has an all together different meaning than "oh my, Resurrexi that devout Catholic is friends with a girl that gives quickies behind the playground!" *SHOCKHORROR*

• Definition: “Some word or deed that (1) is itself evil, or (2) has the appearance of evil, AND (3) provides an occasion of sin for another.” Prümmer, Moral Theology.

How does associating with a sinner, but disagreeing with their sin, lead others to sin? The only example it provides is to hate sin but love the sinner.[/quote]

I hope you realize that I have my moral theology book open to the page about scandal right now, so your definition was unnecessary.

Edited by Resurrexi

If by being friends with a sinner the impression is given that one approves of that person's sin then it would have the appearance of evil. If I went around town with a girl dressed in lingerie, it would probably give scandal to someone who knew me.

Edited by Resurrexi