An Old School Catholic Message Board

Abortion.

Varg

I'd just like to start off by saying that I don't "like" the idea of abortion. I don't understand how anyone can "like" the idea of killing anyone, let alone something that hadn't had a chance at life. What's more I understand why people want abortion banned. But I think it should be allowed. I'm not a troll because trolls are idiots who try to upset as many people as possible to make themselves feel better about their own existence. I'm just stating my opinion.

Here's a hypothetical scenario: a woman gets raped. She becomes pregnant but decides to keep the baby, despite the fact that it was concieved through a malicious and dispicable act and she has no idea who the father is. Evertime she sees her child she is reminded of the time she was raped. The child is likely to hate itself once it finds out how it was concieved. Is this right? No, it isn't.

And what of underage mothers or mothers who aren't financially apt or responsible enough to be parents? The child has a miserable life and so does the mother/parents. Women who get pregnant whilst still in education will have to sacrifice their social lives and their education. This, in my opinion, is not right.

Discuss

Edited by Varg

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Varg' post='1921771' date='Jul 16 2009, 04:50 PM']I'd just like to start off by saying that I don't "like" the idea of abortion. I don't understand how anyone can "like" the idea of killing anyone, let alone something that hadn't had a chance at life. But I think it should be allowed. I'm not a troll because trolls are idiots who try to upset as many people as possible to make themselves feel better about their own existence. I'm just stating my opinion.

Here's a hypothetical scenario: a woman gets raped. She becomes pregnant but decides to keep the baby, despite the fact that it was concieved through a malicious and dispicable act and she has no idea who the father is. Evertime she sees her child she is reminded of the time she was raped. The child is likely to hate itself once it finds out how it was concieved. Is this right? No, it isn't.

And what of underage mothers or mothers who aren't financially apt or responsible enough to be parents? The child has a miserable life and so does the mother/parents. Women who get pregnant whilst still in education will have to sacrifice their social lives and their education. This, in my opinion, is not right.

Discuss[/quote]

You are making too many assumptions that don't hold water when examined. You have no clue if the mother will hate the child - after all the child did nothing wrong.
You have no clue if the child will hate anyone - hate is taught, not genetic.
How do you know that a child born to poor parents are going to turn out badly and what are your qualifications to decide this? How are you going to decide who is too poor to have or raise children?
Where do you get the idea that murdering a child will solve problems of the mothers?

I feel that abortion is very unfair. It's like throwing a brick at someone when they're not expecting it....

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1921775' date='Jul 16 2009, 04:01 PM']Where do you get the idea that murdering a child will solve problems of the mothers?[/quote]There are laws restricting how long you can leave the pregnancy before having an abortion, so it would be a foetus not a child.

[quote name='Maximilianus' post='1921786' date='Jul 16 2009, 04:19 PM']What's not right is murdering a baby based on assumptions.[/quote]What "assumptions"?

icelandic_iceskater

[quote name='Varg' post='1921771' date='Jul 16 2009, 04:50 PM']Here's a hypothetical scenario: a woman gets raped.

And what of underage mothers or mothers who aren't financially apt or responsible enough to be parents?[/quote]
How the circumstances of conception change the personhood of the individual conceived?

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Varg' post='1921823' date='Jul 16 2009, 05:57 PM']There are laws restricting how long you can leave the pregnancy before having an abortion, so it would be a foetus not a child.[/quote]

Those laws are circumvented by doctors all the time, and the term fetus is latin for little child.

elizabeth09

Yes, we all have to die at some point. Being Pro-Life, it hard, because you then have the people who are Pro-Choose. Yes, we do have some say in life, but taking a human life is not how to hadle it. The mother needs to have the child, then either put into a home where they will take the child or have the parent (who are willing to take in the child). I think that this way the child`s life is save and have a better life. If you ever get the chace, watch [font="Arial Black"]Come What May[/font], very good movie.

Edited by elizabeth09

[quote]What's the Catholic view on euthanasia? I'm just curious[/quote]

As far as people go-we're against it.

As far as animals go-well, I'm against it :P

[quote name='QuoteMan' post='1921778' date='Jul 16 2009, 02:05 PM']It's like throwing a brick at someone when they're not expecting it....[/quote]

is it bad that i have done that before? :mellow:

twice?

to be fair my brother deserved it the second time.

[quote name='QuoteMan' post='1921778' date='Jul 16 2009, 02:05 PM']I feel that abortion is very unfair. It's like throwing a brick at someone when they're not expecting it....[/quote]

[quote name='Jesus_lol' post='1921861' date='Jul 16 2009, 03:43 PM']is it bad that i have done that before? :mellow:

twice?

to be fair my brother deserved it the second time.[/quote]

no one deserves to have a brick thrown at them... :mellow:

[quote name='Varg' post='1921771' date='Jul 16 2009, 09:50 PM']let alone something that hadn't had a chance at life.[/quote]

[quote name='Varg' post='1921823' date='Jul 16 2009, 10:57 PM']There are laws restricting how long you can leave the pregnancy before having an abortion, so it would be a foetus not a child.[/quote]

Contradiction?

Just because the child is a foetus does not mean it's potential of life should be taken away.