An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Is Your View On Creation?

Paddington

[quote name='Paddington' post='1920899' date='Jul 15 2009, 06:26 PM']Yea, like when people say you are amazing. It feels good at face value...[/quote]

So it's better to just say 'thank you' at leave it alone, eh? Works for me. Btw, also learned how to quote. Take that, Space Coyote.

Vincent Vega

I've given quite a lot of thought to it, and I've come to the conclusion that it doesn't really matter to me, in the sense that it doesn't impact my faith one way or the other.
I would lean toward a Theistic Evolutionary type view.
I believe that God created the heavens and the earth. Whether this was in six 24-hour periods or six eons is rather inconsequential. We have the fossil record and more or less concrete proof of evolution (microevolution and natural selection certainly), so I'd think that it went down somewhat like God "sparked" the Big Bang, and Adam and Eve were the first entirely human beings who were ensouled.
But as I said at the beginning, my view is pretty much, "it doesn't matter that much to me."

I'm a Theistic evolutionist. I believe that the story in Genesis is just that-a story. A story written by the ancients to explain how they believe the earth was created and how sin entered into the world. It's a story, but a facinating one nonetheless. I always say that the Bible is not a science book, but a book written to describe God's way of reaching out to us through Jesus.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Paddington' post='1920899' date='Jul 15 2009, 05:26 PM']When people say they know for sure that they have human fossils and artifacts from more than 6,000 years ago, then ummm....I don't know [edit] how that squares with the Bible [/edit].[/quote]
My dad, in the line of work he's in, knows a heck of a lot about geological timelines, ages of rock, etc. In my opinion, his, and the opinion of science, there is zero question that the earth is far far far [i]far [b]far[/b][/i] older than 6000 years old. I have no problem reconciling that to the beliefs of the Church. None whatsoever.
"A contradiction cannot exist in reality. Not in part, nor in whole."
There needn't be any contradiction present in Creationism and science.

Vincent Vega

[quote name='Selah' post='1920920' date='Jul 15 2009, 06:37 PM']I believe that the story in Genesis is just that-a story.[/quote]
See, I wouldn't go that far.
Maybe an allegory, but not a story like a fairy tale.
Even most non-Thesists/Christians would agree that that is more or less the order in which things happened, so I'm not sure I'd discount it quite that much.

cmotherofpirl

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young_Earth_creationism"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young_Earth_creationism[/url]

[quote]See, I wouldn't go that far.
Maybe an allegory, but not a story like a fairy tale.
Even most non-Thesists/Christians would agree that that is more or less the order in which things happened, so I'm not sure I'd discount it quite that much.[/quote]

Well, I didn't mean that it was a fairy tale in the sense that it was made up and nonsensical. I do believe God created the universe, but I believe He did this through the process of evolution.

Edited by Selah

[quote name='Selah' post='1920920' date='Jul 15 2009, 05:37 PM']I'm a Theistic evolutionist. I believe that the story in Genesis is just that-a story. A story written by the ancients to explain how they believe the earth was created and how sin entered into the world. It's a story, but a facinating one nonetheless. I always say that the Bible is not a science book, but a book written to describe God's way of reaching out to us through Jesus.[/quote]

Have you read the book by Francis C. Collins?

[quote name='Selah' post='1920920' date='Jul 15 2009, 05:37 PM']I'm a Theistic evolutionist. I believe that the story in Genesis is just that-a story. A story written by the ancients to explain how they believe the earth was created and how sin entered into the world. It's a story, but a facinating one nonetheless. I always say that the Bible is not a science book, but a book written to describe God's way of reaching out to us through Jesus.[/quote]

I have a hard time believing that it's "just a story". The Bible is the God-Breathed...His inerrant word. If the Creation is just a story, then Moses parting the Red sea is just a story and David and Goliath is just a story and Jesus' life, death and resurrection is all just a story.

[quote]I have a hard time believing that it's "just a story". The Bible is the God-Breathed...His inerrant word. If the Creation is just a story, then Moses parting the Red sea is just a story and David and Goliath is just a story and Jesus' life, death and resurrection is all just a story.[/quote]

I believe the Bible to be divinely inspired as well, but I don't believe that everything is to be taken literally.

Think about it this way: What is the central theme of the creation story? That God loved us and longed for us, and so here we are!

What is the story of Moses and the Red Sea about? God's love and protection for His own.

What is the story of David and Goliath about? It's about God using the smallest and what seems the most insignificant of people to accomplish His purpose!

To me, the meaning behind the story is more important than proving that it actually, literally happened.

Does that make any sense? :D

[quote]Have you read the book by Francis C. Collins?[/quote]

No, I have not :detective:

Edited by Selah

[quote name='Selah' post='1920944' date='Jul 15 2009, 05:47 PM']I believe the Bible to be divinely inspired as well, but I don't believe that everything is to be taken literally.

Think about it this way: What is the central theme of the creation story? That God loved us and longed for us, and so here we are!

What is the story of Moses and the Red Sea about? God's love and protection for His own.

What is the story of David and Goliath about? It's about God using the smallest and what seems the most insignificant of people to accomplish His purpose!

To me, the meaning behind the story is more important than proving that it actually, literally happened.

Does that make any sense? :D[/quote]

I do see where you're coming from. But are you saying that Moses, David, Elijah, etc, could just be characters instead of people who actually lived?

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1920908' date='Jul 15 2009, 07:32 PM']The number 6000 was arrived at by a protestant minister named Mr Darby in Scotland in the 1800s, so its an invented tradition of men.[/quote]

St.Basil: "Thus were created the evening and the morning. Scripture means the space of a day and a night...If it therefore says 'one day,' it is from a wish to determine the measure of day and night, and to combine the time that they contain. Now twenty-four hours fills up the space of one day - we mean of a day and of a night" (Hexameron 2, 8).

There are many more.

[quote]I do see where you're coming from. But are you saying that Moses, David, Elijah, etc, could just be characters instead of people who actually lived?[/quote]

No, not necesarily. I believe they lived. But I also believe that there are legends and stories told about them as well. That doesn't mean that I don't believe Moses didn't free the Israelites or that David really wasn't a courageous lad who stood up for what he believed in. (I personally love David, by the way. I almost made him my Patron Saint ^_^ )

Edited by Selah

[quote name='Selah' post='1920944' date='Jul 15 2009, 05:47 PM']No, I have not :detective:[/quote]

He's the geneticist who led the genome project.

His book, I think "The Language of God" is the title, discusses his reason's for believing in Theistic Evolution. You may like it.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Paddington' post='1920960' date='Jul 15 2009, 07:57 PM']St.Basil: "Thus were created the evening and the morning. Scripture means the space of a day and a night...If it therefore says 'one day,' it is from a wish to determine the measure of day and night, and to combine the time that they contain. Now twenty-four hours fills up the space of one day - we mean of a day and of a night" (Hexameron 2, 8).

There are many more.[/quote]
There are other saints who disagree, and none are infalliable.
The beginning of Genesis are teaching stories of our origins, and CNN was not there taking notes, so you are not required to read it as if you are reading a newspaper account or a science book.

"Science can purify religion from error and superstition.
Religion can purify science from idolatry and false absolutes" 1987
Pope John Paul II