An Old School Catholic Message Board

California And Marijuana

Lil Red

California and Marijuana  

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Both tobacco and marijuana, unlike alcohol, have the problem of second hand smoke wafting about, which in the case of marijuana can have a narcotic influence on those imbibing it.

[quote name='Apotheoun' post='1916687' date='Jul 10 2009, 10:38 AM']Both tobacco and marijuana, unlike alcohol, have the problem of second hand smoke wafting about, which in the case of marijuana can have a narcotic influence on those imbibing it.[/quote]

That's true... and California has pretty strict laws regarding where one can smoke tobacco because of it.

Truthfully, if it was made legal and heavily taxed, I'm pretty sure most users would still obtain it illegally.

Not to mention that a large majority of marijuana users get around paying taxes they're supposed to pay already, and many of them are on welfare...

Edited by zunshynn

Marijuana has also been identified as drastically increasing your chance of developing Schizophrenia in those with a genetic pre-disposition.

dairygirl4u2c

i voted yes. it should be legal. it's a free country, to put it simply without mentioning how it's not much different than tobacco and alcohol, and various qualifiations there.

but with that said, i don't like the idea of a state etc using pot, or whatever, eg gambling, to raise revenue, just because they are too irresponsible to balance their budget without outrageous taxes, without it.

i know a lot of states wanna do gambling, to raise revenue. im not against gambling either-- if it's a fix to balance the budget though, id be one who might just vote against it. same with pot.

it's ultimately something that should be legal though, both of em... so im not sure how i'd vote, hypothetically speaking.
i think i'd vote for both of em, if it were a vote issue and not an elected representative issue

Taxation of tobacco and drugs is simply put a sin tax.
if you could tax for other sins like; infidelity, cheating or not telling the truth, the deficits would all but vanish in no time.

I think it should be legal. For most people, who know better, marijuana is best smoked inside in a smaller room or a car, so second hand smoke shouldn't happen.

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='zunshynn' post='1916697' date='Jul 10 2009, 01:53 PM']Not to mention that a large majority of marijuana users get around paying taxes they're supposed to pay already, and many of them are on welfare...[/quote]

Not true. There may be some that operate that way... but definitely not a majority.

Frankly, people, marijuana is the drug choice for the everyday American. Not the so-called "druggies." You'd be surprised how many fathers of good families smoke it. A lot of guys get into it during high school, continue it during college, and then smoke it raising while raising families.

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='apparently' post='1917248' date='Jul 11 2009, 07:07 AM']Taxation of tobacco and drugs is simply put a sin tax.
if you could tax for other sins like; infidelity, cheating or not telling the truth, the deficits would all but vanish in no time.[/quote]

Since when has tobacco been proclaimed sinful?

IIRC, marijuana has been in use for at least 40,000 years.

Kind of silly to make the use of that kind of ancient, naturally-occurring plant illegal, IMO.

No interest in it myself, though. :mellow:

If they want to make it legal, at least come up with a different reason than just taxation. I mean, maybe it is so they can stand to be in the same state as Hollywood. Or maybe so Hollywood can be on it when they make movies. They may make more sense. But not just to tax. In case you haven't realized, we pay enough taxes. Maybe the government should live within a budget. Novel idea, I realize, but just maybe.......

[quote name='dairygirl4u2c' post='1917100' date='Jul 10 2009, 11:33 PM']i voted yes. it should be legal. it's a free country, to put it simply without mentioning how it's not much different than tobacco and alcohol, and various qualifiations there.

but with that said, i don't like the idea of a state etc using pot, or whatever, eg gambling, to raise revenue, just because they are too irresponsible to balance their budget without outrageous taxes, without it.

i know a lot of states wanna do gambling, to raise revenue. im not against gambling either-- if it's a fix to balance the budget though, id be one who might just vote against it. same with pot.

it's ultimately something that should be legal though, both of em... so im not sure how i'd vote, hypothetically speaking.
i think i'd vote for both of em, if it were a vote issue and not an elected representative issue[/quote]

Gambling raises tax revenue? In which state is that? They claim it does in our state, but they have it fixed so the state can use the money else where. The government has once again pulled a fast one and few people have caught it. People only have so much money (at least most people I know) so they gamble it and cannot spend it to buy stuff at stores or go out to eat. If that keeps up we could have an economic problem in these great United States. People may stop making their house payments or something crazy like that.