An Old School Catholic Message Board

Romeo And Juliet

Resurrexi

36 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

There don't have to be more since I am not asking how you would describe the play.

I am merely asking which of these two choices best describes it in your opinion.

it is the story of two families the Capulets and Montagues. The punishment for the sins and lack of reconciliation between these two families fall upon the heads of their children (Romeo and Juliet).

There are other themes but this one probably runs the deepest. After all it was originally intended by Shakespeare to be a comedy.

Edited by kafka

yea, i still hate shakespeare.

and ta[font="Arial"]cos[/font].

Edited by rachael

tinytherese

The two of them did not show true love for each other. Honestly, killing yourself because you cannot be with someone is just selfish. "If you are not here to make me happy then I will just kill myself" is what they were doing. One of my friends was engaged to a guy that threatened to kill himself if she were to break up with him. Fortunately, she did break up with him and he lived.

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' post='1912738' date='Jul 6 2009, 03:56 PM']This poll reminds me of voting for president.[/quote]

:lol_above:

Nihil Obstat

Shakespeare was the entertaining pulp trash of his time. I don't think it was ever meant to be about 'true love'. Just meant to be a story to keep (mostly poor) people entertained.

tinytherese

I think that West Side Story is better than Romeo and Juliet. That story sounds more realistic and nobody commits suicide.

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='tinytherese' post='1912826' date='Jul 6 2009, 06:15 PM']I think that West Side Story is better than Romeo and Juliet. That story sounds more realistic and nobody commits suicide.[/quote]

Apparently there are [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Side_Story#Shakespearean_basis"]some parallels[/url] between them.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1912817' date='Jul 6 2009, 05:08 PM']Shakespeare was the entertaining pulp trash of his time. I don't think it was ever meant to be about 'true love'. Just meant to be a story to keep (mostly poor) people entertained.[/quote]

That's a little harsh lol.
The Queen went to his shows as well.