An Old School Catholic Message Board

Can Catholics Be Friends With A Sinner?

OraProMe

[quote name='OraProMe' post='1910360' date='Jul 4 2009, 04:03 AM'][url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=95842&st=120&start=120"]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?s...0&start=120[/url]

In the posts above a phatmass member says that friendships between catholics and homosexuals are only appropriate if there is no chance of scandal (however that comes about through friendship) or the Catholics beliefs changing.

I think we should avoid another debate about sexual ethics and assume the Church is right. I'd also like to expand the question to all sinners, not just active homosexuals.

Clearly, I think so and I think it's great. Seperating ourselves from others is bad and this attitude smacks of arrogance.

You guys? Maybe real life experiences too...[/quote]

Having a gay friend and going to a gay club/bar with them on a regular basis would be scandalous.
Having a gay person as a friend isn't scandalous. If anyone makes a big deal out of someone having a friend who decides to live a certain way, they're the one with the problem, not you. People ragging on others for their connections should take a hard look at themselves and ask what they're [i]really[/i] objecting to.

[quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1913260' date='Jul 7 2009, 12:20 AM']Can Catholics be friends with sinners? Yes.

But can Catholics be friends with unrepentant proud sinners? No.[/quote]

Hm, what if that person was someone in your family? I don't know your plans (or God's for you, for that matter), but what if one of your children turned out to be an "unrepentant[,] proud sinner"? It happens to the best of parents. How would you react to that?

Archaeology cat

*disclaimer - haven't read the entire thread

[quote name='goldenchild17' post='1910387' date='Jul 4 2009, 09:45 AM']Prayer is as powerful a weapon as anything as far as I'm concerned, so if discussing it doesn't work, I'm sure they're as good a friend as any in this regard and doing what they can.[/quote]
Very much agreed. I mean, think of St Monica. :)

[quote name='goldenchild17' post='1910387' date='Jul 4 2009, 09:45 AM']I think people can be friends and get along while still openly disagreeing with each other on fundamental issues.[/quote]
I hope so. Otherwise I might have to stop associating with a lot of my friends and family. :mellow:

One of my best friends here has a niece who she told us was a lesbian, and now she is undergoing a sex change ala Chastity (Chaz) Bono. She walks such a tight line in loving and supporting her niece, and not approving of what she is doing.

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1919059' date='Jul 13 2009, 07:37 PM']One of my best friends here has a niece who she told us was a lesbian, and now she is undergoing a sex change ala Chastity (Chaz) Bono. She walks such a tight line in loving and supporting her niece, and not approving of what she is doing.[/quote]

Hate the sin. Love the sinner. It's what we're called to do even in tough cases such as this.

the only people who arent friends with sinners look like this:
[img]http://hotbiscuits.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/nerd-46422.jpg[/img]

and thats because they have NO friends. everyone sins.

No. You are not a good Catholic unless you avoid ALL sinners....

sinners....all of you....

[img]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r267/diablo_man/av-1057.jpg[/img]

better watchout meg! its a slippery slope! :P :P :P

Edited by Jesus_lol

[quote name='Jesus_lol' post='1921452' date='Jul 16 2009, 02:55 AM'][img]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r267/diablo_man/av-1057.jpg[/img]

better watchout meg! its a slippery slope! :P :P :P[/quote]

What a good lookin' sinless saint! OW OW!

heheheh it has been a while since i did some photochopping! not sure which was more flattering, but you should definitely find some sinner friends!

[quote name='Jesus_lol' post='1921455' date='Jul 16 2009, 03:13 AM']heheheh it has been a while since i did some photochopping! not sure which was more flattering, but you should definitely find some sinner friends![/quote]

:)
I liked my beard better. If people accept me, the greatest sinner of all, who am I not to accept them?

[quote name='picchick' post='1921463' date='Jul 16 2009, 05:00 AM']If people accept me, the greatest sinner of all,[/quote]

If you're the greatest sinner of all, then I'm not. :twist:

[quote name='Paddington' post='1921521' date='Jul 16 2009, 09:25 AM']If you're the greatest sinner of all, then I'm not. :twist:[/quote]
:yes: