An Old School Catholic Message Board

New Prostitution Poll

Resurrexi

51 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

one poll was enough man. It isnt that difficult of a question:

Deuteronomy
{23:17} There shall be no prostitutes among the daughters of Israel, nor anyone among the sons
of Israel who visits a prostitute.
{23:18} You shall not offer money from a prostitute, nor the price of a dog, in the house of the
Lord your God, no matter what you may have vowed. For both of these are an abomination with
the Lord your God.

Edited by kafka

"I answer that, Human government is derived from the Divine government, and should imitate it. Now although God is all-powerful and supremely good, nevertheless He allows certain evils to take place in the universe, which He might prevent, lest, without them, greater goods might be forfeited, or greater evils ensue. Accordingly in human government also, those who are in authority, rightly tolerate certain evils, lest certain goods be lost, or certain greater evils be incurred: thus Augustine says (De Ordine ii, 4): 'If you do away with harlots, the world will be convulsed with lust.'" (St. Thomas Aquinas: [url="http://www.newadvent.org/summa/3010.htm#article11"]Summa Theologiæ II-II, Q. 10, Art. 11[/url])

Edited by Resurrexi

I think it important to keep in mind that the statement from St. Augustine "'If you do away with harlots, the world will be convulsed with lust," is a very important statement coming from a person who had such strong views on sexual sins.

I agree a government does have to wisely tolerate some small evils, however prostitution is a grave sin.

I disagree with Augustine here. His logic is unsound.

'If you do away with harlots, the world will be convulsed with lust.'

lust is a concupiscence. It is a remnant of original sin tending the body toward sin. It will exist regardless of whether or not prostitution exists. So making prostitution unavailable does not convulse it, rather the opposite is true. Legal toleration would make it a new occasion of grave sin for the tendency of lust to ensnare a soul.

Edited by kafka

I think to decide the answer to this poll, it is also necessary to look at this to make a decision:

"It is necessary, then, to appeal to the spiritual and moral capacities of the human person and to the permanent need for his inner conversion, so as to obtain social changes that will really serve him. The acknowledged priority of the conversion of heart in no way eliminates but on the contrary imposes the obligation of bringing the appropriate remedies to institutions and living conditions when they are an inducement to sin, so that they conform to the norms of justice and advance the good rather than hinder it." ([url="http://www.scborromeo.org/ccc/para/1888.htm"][i]Catechism of the Catholic Church[/i], no. 1888[/url])

Edited by Resurrexi

[quote name='kafka' post='1908543' date='Jul 2 2009, 08:11 PM']I agree a government does have to wisely tolerate some small evils, however prostitution is a grave sin.[/quote]

"Concubinage and prostitution do not differ specifically from fornication, but since they imply a proximate occasion of sin and readiness to sin, they must be indicated [in confession]" (Fr. Heribert Jone: [i]Moral Theology[/i], p. 147 [imprimatur: John. J. Wright, D.D., Bishop of Pittsburgh; December 8, 1961])

Do you think that all fornication should be illegal?

[quote name='kafka' post='1908546' date='Jul 2 2009, 08:18 PM']I dont see how that is relevant.[/quote]

Prostitution would probably be an "institution that is an inducement to sin".

Edited by Resurrexi

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1908547' date='Jul 2 2009, 09:19 PM']"Concubinage and prostitution do not differ specifically from fornication, but since they imply a proximate occasion of sin and readiness to sin, they must be indicated [in confession]" (Fr. Heribert Jone: [i]Moral Theology[/i], p. 147 [imprimatur: John. J. Wright, D.D., Bishop of Pittsburgh; December 8, 1961])

Do you think that all fornication should be illegal?[/quote]
are you being didactic here?

You should be able to answer this on your own.

I am thinking through this issue.

One one hand, we have Doctors of the Church who, while clearly condemning prostitution as a grave sin, think that it should be tolerated for the sake of greater goods and to avoid greater evils.

On the other hand, we have an Ecumenical Council that states, "[L]et the laity so remedy the institutions and conditions of the world when the latter are an inducement to sin, that these may be conformed to the norms of justice [. . .]" (Second Vatican Ecumenical Council, [i]Lumen Gentium[/i], 36 § 3).

We also have to look at the fact that prostitution does is not specifically different from regular fornication except that prostitution is a near occasion to sin and shows that one is ready to sin. Perhaps some think that all fornication should be illegal, but I think greater harm than good would come of that.

Edited by Resurrexi

Nihil Obstat

Let's look at it more practically.
What greater evils will result by forbidding prostitution? Paying for adultury [[i]edit: by this I meant of course, fornication. My mistake[/i]...] is a pretty grave sin to begin with. It would take a very very great evil to outweigh that.

Edited by Nihil Obstat

There is a huge difference between fornication and adultery.

Married women obviously should not be prostitutes, and married men should have no reason to violate the Sixth Commandment with a prostitute.