An Old School Catholic Message Board

My Sister Has Decided To Leave The Catholic Church

"Kyrie eleison"

Norseman82

[quote name='"Kyrie eleison' post='1908182' date='Jul 2 2009, 12:14 PM']No, I did that many years ago, in my journey back home. I am here to stay![/quote]

My apologies, I misread your post - specifically the word "many".

Mea culpa.

Edited by Norseman82

tinytherese

[quote name='Norseman82' post='1908472' date='Jul 2 2009, 07:02 PM']It is also not helpful that people are made to feel like bad Catholics by being told to just "offer it up" or "its just your cross, shut up and bear it" or being told about a saint that was abused and just "took it" or that if they just stick with the abuser they will win them over to the faith or that if they don't forgive the abuser immediately they cannot receive Holy Communion or say the Our Father.[/quote]

Well I don't have a problem with someone telling me to take up my cross and to offer up all that I am suffering for my dad in my situation, but that's because when I have been told this it has been said in a loving way so as to ease my pain somewhat and not in a judgmental or cynical way.

elizabeth09

She want her son to be Roman Catholic, but not go to the mass? She is always welcome to the mass.

dairygirl4u2c

minor quibble of a clarification here.
when i said 'the ordinary joe shouldn't be expected to deal with the complexities of the academics if they aren't firm in their faith to begin with' (idea, they are firm in faith generally, just not specifically catholic) -- you've got those petrine and pauline and mixed up bible verses i gave -- what does an ordinary joe make of the fact it looks like completely arbitrary doctrines are being prepared like those pauline and petrine?
it adds fuel to the fire that says perhaps folks are expecting too much from them.

petrine and pauline do seem pretty arbitrary. how are those principled arguments that have anything to do with divorce being wrong etc? not sure how it work, but it sure looks like a potential rationalization and arbitrary to me. ('not sure why it's that way (and if we were honest, maybe that's not the way it should be done)-- it's just teh way it' always been')

"Kyrie eleison"

Hello All,

Just an update. I have asked my sister about her plans on baptizing my nephew, as he will be one year old. She is unsure of what she wants to do and has not inquired about it at her church. I have sent her scriptural evidence as to why the Catholic Church has always baptized infants and why we use water.

I have took the liberty to call the church and find out the procedure of their baptisms. They call their ceremonies for infants/children, "dedications." They do not use any form of water. They use full immersion in water in the trinity [b]only[/b] for those who are ready to profess by mouth their belief and make a comittment for Jesus.

I am afraid that this dedication would not fulfill a valid baptism for my nephew. I have read that laypersons could perform baptisms. Could I do this for my nephew. Has anyone ever had to do a baptism in this case? Thanks for all your input.

You are right that their infant dedication does not meet the requirements of a valid baptism. Perhaps just knowing that might convince your sister to have him baptized properly.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='"Kyrie eleison' post='1921629' date='Jul 16 2009, 11:32 AM']Hello All,

I am afraid that this dedication would not fulfill a valid baptism for my nephew. I have read that laypersons could perform baptisms. Could I do this for my nephew. Has anyone ever had to do a baptism in this case? Thanks for all your input.[/quote]

Just read this thread and realized your question was left unanswered. Laypersons may baptize only when there is imminent danger of death.

Peace be with you.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Katholikos' post='1942628' date='Aug 7 2009, 07:57 AM']Just read this thread and realized your question was left unanswered. Laypersons may baptize only when there is imminent danger of death.

Peace be with you.[/quote]
Likos? Likos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bow: :grouphug: :cheers:

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1942657' date='Aug 7 2009, 10:07 AM']Likos? Likos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bow: :grouphug: :cheers:[/quote]

Love you, cmom. Warm hugs.

[quote name='Katholikos' post='1942628' date='Aug 7 2009, 04:57 AM']Just read this thread and realized your question was left unanswered. Laypersons may baptize only when there is imminent danger of death.

Peace be with you.[/quote]
+J.M.J.+
:bigshock:

:yahoo: LIKOS!!!! :yahoo:
:hippie: :hippie: :breakdance: :breakdance: :twist: :twist: :banana: :banana: :clapping: :clapping: :punk: :punk:

Hi, L'il Red. Hope I stay in an upright and locked position this time. Homecoming is good. It pleases me to be Phatmass member # 59. Thanks for the warm welcome. Abrazos (hugs).

May I add a word in defense of the Church founded by Christ for the salvation of the world? The Church permits separation or divorce in cases of necessity, which certainly includes abuse. No one should tolerate abuse. However, the fact that a spouse is abusive is, in itself, not grounds for an annulment. There must be a defect in the marriage itself (for example, coercion).

The Church opposes [b][i]remarriage[/i][/b]. Why? Because Christ teaches that “whoever divorces his wife (unless the marriage is unlawful) causes her to commit adultery and whoever marries a divorced woman commits adultery” (Mt 5:32 NAB). The Church grants declarations of nullity in cases where it has been proven in the Church’s Tribunal (court) that no marriage ever existed. (Civil courts do the same, on somewhat different grounds.) However, the Church has no power or authority to dissolve a valid, sacramental marriage.

People get divorced and remarried, then blame the Church for refusing them the Sacraments while they are living in an adulterous relationship. They complain that the Church is not compassionate, but true compassion is the genuine concern the Church has for the souls of her children[b];[/b] she does not permit them to add sacrilege to adultery.

Pray that all her wayward children may return to the Church founded by Christ.

Peace to all who post at Phatmass,

Katholikos