An Old School Catholic Message Board

Sspx Goes Ahead With Ordinations

cappie

Res-you need to ask yourself if you are pro-Pope because he is the Pope, and you are an obedient Catholic, or if you support him simply because you agree with his view of the church. Many people believe that Pope Benedict is pushing for reconciliation with the SSPX because they are qualified and willing to say the Latin mass, where many bishops have not been as willing to promote it to the extent that Benedict wishes. How would you feel if the next Pope to get elected came out and outlawed the Latin mass, or outlawed Gregorian chant? He's the Pope, and he could will that. Would you still be an ultra then? I support the Pope's requests, which ever Pope is in office, even if I don't understand why I am being asked to do something. I also support my bishop. It can be hard for those of us in the pews to know what to do when our bishops don't agree with something the Pope is doing. It feels like getting in the middle of a fight between your mom and dad, or your mom and grandmother. All I can do is sit back, and hope it all gets worked out eventually, with the knowledge that the Holy Spirit will keep the Church on the right path. I often say that I want to follow God's will in all things, I just wish he'd let me know now and then, what that will is.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1904727' date='Jun 28 2009, 09:21 PM']Knowing you, yes. I think youre minimizing the SSPX's actions.

Like I said, if this was a wacky liberal group, you would not in any way be trying to minimize this.[/quote]

Have you ever considered the possibility that they the SSPX doesn't deserve half of the flack that some Catholics give it?

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1904727' date='Jun 28 2009, 11:21 PM']Knowing you, yes. I think youre minimizing the SSPX's actions.

Like I said, if this was a wacky liberal group, you would not in any way be trying to minimize this.[/quote]

This is what I've gotten from Smores' posts in this thread as well.

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1904734' date='Jun 28 2009, 11:26 PM']Have you ever considered the possibility that they the SSPX doesn't deserve half of the flack that some Catholics give it?[/quote]

They deserve just as much flack as every other disobedient Catholic.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1904734' date='Jun 28 2009, 09:26 PM']Have you ever considered the possibility that they the SSPX doesn't deserve half of the flack that some Catholics give it?[/quote]
All I'm saying is that I think you're biased because they happen to be traditionalist. In any other case you'd be all about obediance to the pope, which is great, but it applies to everybody equally.

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1904730' date='Jun 28 2009, 09:23 PM']Res-you need to ask yourself if you are pro-Pope because he is the Pope, and you are an obedient Catholic, or if you support him simply because you agree with his view of the church. Many people believe that Pope Benedict is pushing for reconciliation with the SSPX because they are qualified and willing to say the Latin mass, where many bishops have not been as willing to promote it to the extent that Benedict wishes. How would you feel if the next Pope to get elected came out and outlawed the Latin mass, or outlawed Gregorian chant? He's the Pope, and he could will that. Would you still be an ultra then? I support the Pope's requests, which ever Pope is in office, even if I don't understand why I am being asked to do something. I also support my bishop. It can be hard for those of us in the pews to know what to do when our bishops don't agree with something the Pope is doing. It feels like getting in the middle of a fight between your mom and dad, or your mom and grandmother. All I can do is sit back, and hope it all gets worked out eventually, with the knowledge that the Holy Spirit will keep the Church on the right path. I often say that I want to follow God's will in all things, I just wish he'd let me know now and then, what that will is.[/quote]

As you and I both know, no future pope would dare to suppress Gregorian chant or the use of Latin in the liturgy unless he wanted to destroy Latin Catholic [b]t[/b]radition and alienate some of his strongest supporters.

As to a disagreement between a bishop and the Pope, I would unhesitatingly follow the Pope.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1904740' date='Jun 28 2009, 09:34 PM']As to a disagreement between a bishop and the Pope, I would unhesitatingly follow the Pope.[/quote]
Isn't that what this is?

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1904739' date='Jun 28 2009, 09:34 PM']All I'm saying is that I think you're biased because they happen to be traditionalist. In any other case you'd be all about obediance to the pope, which is great, but it applies to everybody equally.[/quote]

I feel that, if the canonical status of the SSPX were regularized, the SSPX could be one of the most important groups to play a part in the restoration of Catholic [b]t[/b]radition.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1904741' date='Jun 28 2009, 09:34 PM']Isn't that what this is?[/quote]

It's actually a disagreement between four bishops and the Pope. ;)

Edited by Resurrexi

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1904743' date='Jun 28 2009, 09:37 PM']It's actually a disagreement between four bishops and the Pope. ;)[/quote]
...and yet- hesitation. :mellow:

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1904745' date='Jun 28 2009, 09:40 PM']...and yet- hesitation. :mellow:[/quote]

There is no hesitation in following the Pope rather than the SSPX bishops on my part. :)

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1904742' date='Jun 28 2009, 09:36 PM']I feel that, if the canonical status of the SSPX were regularized, the SSPX could be one of the most important groups to play a part in the restoration of Catholic [b]t[/b]radition.[/quote]
You may be right about that too, but be that as it may, they still have to follow the same rules as everyone else.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1904746' date='Jun 28 2009, 09:41 PM']There is no hesitation in following the Pope rather than the SSPX bishops on my part. :)[/quote]
Quibbling. :mellow: They were told not to ordain, and they ordained. :P

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1904740' date='Jun 28 2009, 09:34 PM']As you and I both know, no future pope would dare to suppress Gregorian chant or the use of Latin in the liturgy unless he wanted to destroy Latin Catholic [b]t[/b]radition and alienate some of his strongest supporters.

As to a disagreement between a bishop and the Pope, I would unhesitatingly follow the Pope.[/quote]

Had you told me when John Paul was still alive that the next Pope would bring back the Latin mass, I would have said the same thing, that he would risk alienating some of his strongest supporters.

Luckily, Mass in Latin is more popular today than it's been in forty years, and it doesn't show any signs of decreasing in popularity. :)