An Old School Catholic Message Board

Courting/dating.

princessgianna

Courting/dating  

30 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1903827' date='Jun 28 2009, 02:18 PM']:no:

Cardinal Richelieu would not approve.[/quote]

I do though :love:

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='missionseeker' post='1904848' date='Jun 28 2009, 10:45 PM']I also approve.[/quote]
You're going to give poor Rexi a stroke. The Magisterium said it's not allowed, after all.

If the difference between courting and dating is parental involvement, I'd say it varies from situation to situation. In mine, it wasn't feasible to have my parents involved. If we're talking about my teenage daughter (when/if I have one) you'd better believe we'll be involved.

[quote name='missionseeker' post='1904848' date='Jun 28 2009, 11:45 PM']I also approve.[/quote]

Me too >___>

Sorry Hassan

harharhar

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1904856' date='Jun 28 2009, 10:47 PM']You're going to give poor Rexi a stroke. The Magisterium said it's not allowed, after all.[/quote]

Under the 1917 Code, all those who participated in duels were excommunicated.

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1904895' date='Jun 29 2009, 12:05 AM']Under the 1917 Code, all those who participated in duels were excommunicated.[/quote]

1. No point quoting a code that's not in force anymore.
2. LOL

[quote name='OraProMe' post='1904902' date='Jun 28 2009, 11:13 PM']1. No point quoting a code that's not in force anymore.
2. LOL[/quote]

It's still a sin of grave matter to participate in a duel, though.

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1904895' date='Jun 29 2009, 12:05 AM']Under the 1917 Code, all those who participated in duels were excommunicated.[/quote]
Yeah, cause noobs would duel to the death.
First noob: "you insulted my shoelaces! Draw steel!"
Second noob: "you insulted me by being insulted!"

*Pride takes prominence and both noobs fight till one dies. What a waste of humanity*

Nihil Obstat

"Draw steel!"

Now that is a solid challenge. It has lovely resonance to it. Much better than "**** off you ******!"

Edited by Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Sacred Music Man' post='1903298' date='Jun 27 2009, 11:28 PM']Courting. The idea of starting from the ground up as friends and realising it's going toward marriage. Either is useless without God though.[/quote]
I will say as someone who has tried this that it can be very difficult to make the transition from friend to lover and still keep any sort of friendship intact. If you start out as being friends who are discerning marriage to each other, that's the best route. You just have to have that second part clear between the two of you, or the misunderstanding and miscommunication that will ensue will kill off your chances of anything, friendship or otherwise.

Clarity of intention and purpose is key in this whole process. Without that, things can go south pretty quickly.

My opinion: there is room for both courting and dating in the Catholic model as [b]stages[/b]:

Dating -- Less serious, with the purpose of discerning whether or not you will begin to court. This is about having fun and getting to know someone. Best if non-exclusive. As such, physical touch should be kept at a minimum (I would hug someone that I was dating, but not hold their hand, for instance). Also, the dating stage should be relatively short. Since I did a lot of dating through CatholicMatch.com, I would typically give someone three dates before deciding whether or not to move on to courting. You should know pretty quickly.

Courting -- more serious, with the purpose of discerning whether or not you will get engaged/married. MUST be exclusive. Physical touch ok, and encouraged, so long as it remains chaste. Assuming that both parties are of an age to get married, less than two-years in length. Again, you should know pretty quickly. Prayer together should become a central focus of your relationship.

I think the timeline mommas_boy mentions is good. That's about where we were as far as figuring things out. I think being decisive when you're dating/courting is really important. Stringing someone along while you make up your mind is cruel. If you're not ready to think seriously about marriage, you're not ready to be dating or courting.