An Old School Catholic Message Board

Courting/dating.

princessgianna

Courting/dating  

30 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

princessgianna

Which do you think is better, Courting or dating.

I think courting is better because you begin the relationship based on the ground of a possible future commitment. Both parties are looking for a future spouse. Therefore both are serious about a relationship. The young lady's family gets to know the young man and help better protect their daughter. Dating on the other hand can be very vague in how it's taken. For example so many stories I have heard that a young lady falls in love with a guy. They both think each other are cute though the young lady is serious. The young guy may be under a false assumption that the relationship is no big deal. The end result- a broken heart.

DISCLAIMER: This is just been my experience. I am not saying that dating is wrong or bad. I am just trying to suggest that courting for serious relationships could be a wiser path.

Discuss
princessgianna
:blowkiss:

Courting was definitely how my husband and I viewed our pre-marriage relationship. We started from the position of two people discerning marriage, seriously. So everything we did or discussed was from that framework. Dating is more like hanging out to me, just to see where things lead.

tinytherese

I'd say courtship. I've read part of this book called "Christian Courtship in an Oversexed World" and it has been going well. Marriage is a vocation and proper discernment is necessary.

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1902912' date='Jun 27 2009, 05:23 PM']Cannot dating be courting?[/quote]

I say that it depends on how you view dating.

Some people have very strict views on dating as just hanging around and not going anywhere. I date to find my potential spouse. I believe that the two can be used interchangably in my case. Courting, I see as, a type of dating. It is more serious and more "exclusive" meaning you are sticking with one person.

[quote name='picchick' post='1902978' date='Jun 27 2009, 04:20 PM']I say that it depends on how you view dating.

Some people have very strict views on dating as just hanging around and not going anywhere. I date to find my potential spouse. I believe that the two can be used interchangably in my case. Courting, I see as, a type of dating. It is more serious and more "exclusive" meaning you are sticking with one person.[/quote]

I kinda agree there.

in my oppinion, dating is more like hanging out with a person to see if they [i]could[/i] be a potential spouse. example: "I'm attracted to you and would like to get to know you better"
or something like that.

courting is more like the couple has decited that marriage is the goal, and they are serious.
So i would say that courting is the next level from dating.

Both are good. You can date and be serious about it, but I think in courting the families are more involved and love is the highest goal.

tinytherese

[url="http://www.chastity.com/chastity/index.php?id=7&entryid=42"]http://www.chastity.com/chastity/index.php...&entryid=42[/url]

I've never been into dating or courting. My serious relationships (all two :P) have evolved out of good friendships.

Edited by OraProMe

hoosieranna

[quote name='Christie_M' post='1902987' date='Jun 27 2009, 06:32 PM']I kinda agree there.

in my oppinion, dating is more like hanging out with a person to see if they [i]could[/i] be a potential spouse. example: "I'm attracted to you and would like to get to know you better"
or something like that.

courting is more like the couple has decited that marriage is the goal, and they are serious.
So i would say that courting is the next level from dating.[/quote]

Agreed.

Courting. The idea of starting from the ground up as friends and realising it's going toward marriage. Either is useless without God though.

[quote name='Hassan' post='1903302' date='Jun 28 2009, 12:30 AM']I always fight duels for my women.

Swords or single shot pistols only :yes:[/quote]
Excellent. Play til first blood?

[quote name='Hassan' post='1903302' date='Jun 27 2009, 11:30 PM']I always fight duels for my women.

Swords or single shot pistols only :yes:[/quote]

:no:

Cardinal Richelieu would not approve.