An Old School Catholic Message Board

Heresy

Resurrexi

In 1520 Pope Leo X condemned the following proposition as an error: "That heretics be burned is against the will of the Spirit" (Pope Leo X, Exsurge Domine, 33).  

26 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

heavenseeker

[quote name='heavenseeker' post='1898369' date='Jun 22 2009, 04:32 AM']point is burning = bad. the end.[/quote]
or should we set fire to 2/3 of the world? i dont care about time or place, always a better way

[quote name='heavenseeker' post='1898376' date='Jun 22 2009, 04:52 AM']or should we set fire to 2/3 of the world? i dont care about time or place, always a better way[/quote]

I never said that heretics should be executed today.

If every heretic living were burned at the stake, no more that one third of the world could possibly be executed since only one third of those living are baptized. A non-baptized person cannot be a heretic.

In contrast to the today, during the Middle Ages and Renaissance, nearly everyone in Western Europe was Catholic. Heresy was, thus, a danger to the State. As heresy was a harm to just public order, it was lawful for the state to impede the religious liberty of others (cf. Second Vatican Ecumenical Council, [i]Dignitatis Humanae[/i], 2). It was even lawful, in certain instances, to execute heretics since there was no other way to protect society.

Edited by Resurrexi

heavenseeker

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1898373' date='Jun 22 2009, 04:47 AM']We are not allowed to disagree with the Pope when he exercises his authentic Magisterium.[/quote]
grab a torch cause its still binding then

[quote name='heavenseeker' post='1898382' date='Jun 22 2009, 05:19 AM']grab a torch cause its still binding then[/quote]

:rolleyes:

[quote name='Kitty' post='1898811' date='Jun 22 2009, 04:00 PM']Would Jesus burn heretics?

I honestly think Jesus is more Christian than most of the church authorities.[/quote]

I don't think that our Lord discussed the burning of heretics during His earthly life. Christ did, however, give St. Peter the power to pronounce doctrinal judgments, a power destined to be transmitted to St. Peter's successors. Pope Leo X has condemned the proposition, "That heretics be burned is against the will of the Spirit." "Peter has spoken thus through Leo."

Edited by Resurrexi

Don John of Austria

[quote name='heavenseeker' post='1898382' date='Jun 22 2009, 05:19 AM']grab a torch cause its still binding then[/quote]

Of course it is still binding.... in that it would not be morally objectionable for a heretic to be burned.

AS I said on the Other thread it does not say "All heretics should be burned."

[quote name='Don John of Austria' post='1898926' date='Jun 22 2009, 05:40 PM']AS I said on the Other thread it does not say "All heretics should be burned."[/quote]

Exactly.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Kitty' post='1898811' date='Jun 22 2009, 03:00 PM']Would Jesus burn heretics?

I honestly think Jesus is more Christian than most of the church authorities.[/quote]
He was also more Jewish than all of the Church authorities. :)

Don John of Austria

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1899012' date='Jun 22 2009, 07:16 PM']He was also more Jewish than all of the Church authorities. :)[/quote]

Well, accept Torquemada.

this is a total hijack.

whoa. How long have I been gone?

Don John?!!!!! now I'm looking for the ninja!!!!!!!!!!!

Don John of Austria

[quote name='jmjtina' post='1899069' date='Jun 22 2009, 08:54 PM']this is a total hijack.

whoa. How long have I been gone?

Don John?!!!!! now I'm looking for the ninja!!!!!!!!!!![/quote]

Yes as I told Dust, the legend returns. All should be afriad. ( well at least all infidels) :donjohn:

And don't you know, you don't see ninja's until they want you to see them.

Edited by Don John of Austria