An Old School Catholic Message Board

Heresy

Resurrexi

In 1520 Pope Leo X condemned the following proposition as an error: "That heretics be burned is against the will of the Spirit" (Pope Leo X, Exsurge Domine, 33).  

26 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Pope Leo X condemned the following proposition: "Haereticos comburi est contra voluntatem Spiritus." (Denzinger-Schonmetzer 1483), along with forty other errors of Martin Luther. The Holy Father decreed of these propositions:

"All and each of the above mentioned articles or errors, so to speak, as set before you, we condemn, disapprove, and entirely reject as respectively heretical, or scandalous, or false, or offensive to pious ears, or seductive of simple minds, and in opposition to Catholic truth." (Denzinger-Schonmetzer 1492)

Edited by Resurrexi

Perhaps the instigators of heresy who did damage to both the unity of the Church and unity of the state. Like Martin Luther. But not every single heretic for the pure fact that they deny orthodox Catholicism.

Ofcourse, now that we live in a pluralistic and secular society neither of these preconditions apply anymore.

To say that the church moves against the Holy Spirit is simply wrong. That seems to be Pope Leo X's main point in this letter. But your question asks whether or not it is all right to have a heretic killed by the state authority. The state authority does not have the Holy Spirit, only the Church does. In my opinion, the state should not interfere, nor should it had in the past, with the matters of the church. Christ does not condemn. Neither does His Church. If you don't believe me, look at the part of the letter after the mentioned errors. The letter does not seem to be defending the burning of heretics as much as it is defending the authority of the Church. Then again, I'll have to read it again. It is a very long document.

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1897605' date='Jun 21 2009, 01:14 PM']It looks like we've got some voters dissenting from the Magisterium...

:furious:[/quote]

Oh who cares. <_<

I like how you set up a poll with two different choices and then you squawk about the people who have a different opinion than you.

Edited by Kitty

[quote name='Gregorius' post='1897701' date='Jun 21 2009, 01:52 PM']To say that the church moves against the Holy Spirit is simply wrong.[/quote]

Well, that's one possible conclusion... :rolleyes:

[quote name='Gregorius' post='1897745' date='Jun 21 2009, 05:54 PM']I guess Rex likes to debate... and he seems to be the type that has to be right all the time. :)[/quote]
Or course.

HisChildForever

So if someone denies Jesus Christ's existence or divinity, we should execute them?

No, I think Rex's argument is it is wrong to say the Holy Spirit does not want heretics to burn. I think his interpretation goes to the extreme. I'd rather not go into this one.

HisChildForever

[quote name='Gregorius' post='1897890' date='Jun 21 2009, 08:21 PM']I think his interpretation goes to the extreme.[/quote]

Always does.

[quote name='Gregorius' post='1897701' date='Jun 21 2009, 03:52 PM']To say that the church moves against the Holy Spirit is simply wrong. That seems to be Pope Leo X's main point in this letter. But your question asks whether or not it is all right to have a heretic killed by the state authority. The state authority does not have the Holy Spirit, only the Church does. In my opinion, the state should not interfere, nor should it had in the past, with the matters of the church. Christ does not condemn. Neither does His Church. If you don't believe me, look at the part of the letter after the mentioned errors. The letter does not seem to be defending the burning of heretics as much as it is defending the authority of the Church. Then again, I'll have to read it again. It is a very long document.[/quote]

An ecclesiastical court never executed anyone. Heretics were always turned over to secular authorities to be executed. For example, you see in the trial of Jan Hus at the Council of Constance: "This holy synod of Constance, seeing that God's church has nothing more that it can do, relinquishes John Hus to the judgment of the secular authority and decrees that he is to be relinquished to the secular court."

By the way, I would not argue that all heretics in all times should be executed. According to the decree the proposition "That heretics be burned is against the will of the Spirit" is condemned. Obviously the Holy Spirit, who is God, does not actively will sin but merely permits it. If it was not always contrary to God's will to that heretics be executed in Leo X's time, it cannot have always been immoral then.