An Old School Catholic Message Board

Should The U.s. Apologizing For Slavery

add

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Sacred Music Man' post='1898305' date='Jun 22 2009, 12:47 AM']OPM, that's 21C.

Y'all 'mericans, that's 62.6F[/quote]
I like using Celcius, but pretending to assume that the units are implied. :) I'll just say something like "15 degrees", and crazy Americans will assume it's really freakin cold... but then I tell them after a while I meant Celcius and act surprised that it wasn't clear. :))

Cat's opened my mind about conversion ever since we've started talking. I remember that they all do (American) Imperial and we started this metric thing, so I've been learning so I can bridge the gap.

Don John of Austria

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1897355' date='Jun 21 2009, 07:14 AM']You are very rude. The United States is the greatest nation on earth whose official religion is not Catholicism.

That means that only Vatican City, Monaco, Malta, Liechtenstein, Costa Rica, Argentina, and Switzerland are greater nations than the United States.

:mellow:[/quote]

not so, isn't Irland still have Catholicism as it's offical religion.

Don John of Austria

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1898308' date='Jun 22 2009, 01:50 AM']I like using Celcius, but pretending to assume that the units are implied. :) I'll just say something like "15 degrees", and crazy Americans will assume it's really freakin cold... but then I tell them after a while I meant Celcius and act surprised that it wasn't clear. :))[/quote]

Celcious stinks..... GO Fahrenheit!!!!

I mean if you are going to use a silly temperature scale at least use Kelvin.

[quote name='Don John of Austria' post='1898765' date='Jun 22 2009, 03:14 PM']not so, isn't Irland still have Catholicism as it's offical religion.[/quote]

According to [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_religion#Old_Catholic"]Wikipedia[/url], Ireland doesn't have an official religion. If Ireland did, however, it would be the [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_of_Ireland"]Ecclesial Community of Ireland[/url], which unjustly stole the cathedrals and churches in Ireland from the Holy Catholic Church.

Edited by Resurrexi

Don John of Austria

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1898772' date='Jun 22 2009, 03:23 PM']According to [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_religion#Old_Catholic"]Wikipedia[/url], Ireland doesn't have an official religion. If Ireland did, however, it would be the [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_of_Ireland"]Ecclesial Community of Ireland[/url], which unjustly stole the cathedrals and churches in Ireland from the Holy Catholic Church.[/quote]

I am reasonably sure wiki is wrong on this. I'll look it up.

Don John of Austria

Ah the" Privliged place" provision of the Irish constitution is was repealed. While it never had a state religion [i]per se[/i] the Catholic Church used to have a Constitutionally protected privliged place. However that is now gone.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1898308' date='Jun 21 2009, 11:50 PM']I like using Celcius, but pretending to assume that the units are implied. :) I'll just say something like "15 degrees", and crazy Americans will assume it's really freakin cold... but then I tell them after a while I meant Celcius and act surprised that it wasn't clear. :))[/quote]

Oh, you've found a friend--I do that too! :cool:

I also use 24 hour time.

OK, someone can slap me for being blatantly off topic now.

eagle_eye222001

[quote name='dUSt' post='1897504' date='Jun 21 2009, 12:02 PM']The U.S. government hasn't apologized for slavery before this? Well it's about time.[/quote]

Like it does anything.

[quote]Let's all pray for the day that the U.S. apologizes for abortion.[/quote]

..long way to go.

[quote name='dUSt' post='1897573' date='Jun 21 2009, 01:35 PM']For personal reasons, I hope all black people get paid out of this.[/quote]

Money doesn't come from nothing.

[quote name='desertwoman' post='1898001' date='Jun 21 2009, 09:54 PM']Ah...., I thought Clinton did this in his presidency years ago.[/quote]

:idontknow:

----------------
Now playing: [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/artist/linkin+park/track/numb"]Linkin Park - Numb[/url]
via [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/signatunes/"]FoxyTunes[/url]

[quote name='apparently' post='1896919' date='Jun 20 2009, 08:30 PM'][url="http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/06/18/AR2009061803877.html?hpid=moreheadlines"]Visit My Website[/url]
The U.S. Senate has unanimously passed a resolution apologizing for slavery, making way for a joint congressional resolution and the latest attempt by the federal government to take responsibility for 2 1/2 centuries of slavery.

a apology is wrong, after all, at least 618,000 Americans died in the Civil War, this war ended this sin of slavery, once in for all, not just for the United States but for the entire world.
Slavery existed long before the birth of the U.S. and U.S. can take credit for ending the practice.

what do you say?[/quote]

We didn't end the practice. The UK was the first nation to set precedent in international law for the proactive enforcement of anti slave tade measures in national and international waters. Furthermore the effects of slavery were perpetuated for decades even after the formal institution in the US was ended. Although as CatherineM so rightly pointed out the practive is not ended world wide, or even in the US.

[quote name='MissScripture' post='1897583' date='Jun 21 2009, 01:46 PM']Can I get an apology from Russia for putting my great-grandma and grandma in a concentration camp? And for shooting my great-grandfather in the street?[/quote]

No. You should, and they owe you one, but now is not the time to push it. Such pushes often trigger further revisionism and reactionary/nationalist rhetoric in the countries conservative/right wing elements. Like in Japan over their atrocities in the South Pacific and China. The last thing needed now is a push for an apology that would only embolden the communist and nationalistic (in Russia the two are often one and the same) portions of the population.

[quote name='OraProMe' post='1897964' date='Jun 21 2009, 10:32 PM']Awwwstrayyaa m8ayyy.
Melbourne to be precise, one of the most multi-cultural cities in the world :D[/quote]
what's for dinner in the land down under?
I'm having a roast beef :burger: :burger: sandwich, a dill pickle and a beer. then maybe watch a netflex movie and go to bed.

Lilllabettt

Apologizing is good. We can all do with more apologizing.

But what does it mean when a "government" apologizes? A bunch of bureaucrats saying they're sorry for the mistakes a bunch of other bureaucrats made ...

To me, personally, it means nothing.

MissScripture

[quote name='Hassan' post='1899136' date='Jun 22 2009, 10:31 PM']No. You should, and they owe you one, but now is not the time to push it. Such pushes often trigger further revisionism and reactionary/nationalist rhetoric in the countries conservative/right wing elements. Like in Japan over their atrocities in the South Pacific and China. The last thing needed now is a push for an apology that would only embolden the communist and nationalistic (in Russia the two are often one and the same) portions of the population.[/quote]
I was mostly joking in wanting an apology, because far more than an apology, I would appreciate the rest of the world to realize that it happened. I was looked at like a crazy person in high school when I would mention that my grandma had been in a concentration camp that WASN'T run by the Germans! And at one point I was told by a HISTORY TEACHER that I was making it up.

It kind of goes along with the "If we don't learn history we are doomed to repeat it."

Maximilianus

I demand an apology from the governments of the U.S., Spain, U.K., France, Italy, the North African countires and Greece for the persecution and maltreatment of my ancestors....you can throw in the Scandanavian countries and Germany just in case my ancestors had any contact with Vikings, Goths and Lombards.
Oh and Hungary, I want an apology from them too, just in case I have an ancestor that was a victim of a Magyar arrow.