An Old School Catholic Message Board

Should The U.s. Apologizing For Slavery

add

dairygirl4u2c

folks often talk about how we incur the sins of our fathers etc.
if they really mean this, beyond the mere 'theory' that is good and bite size for religious purposes, then i could see arguing that if no one has apologized before, that it should be done at some point due to our obligation there.

didn't the pope eventually apologize for galileo and some of the other things? i do remember there might have been some controvery about the adequacy of his apology, but i think it was there.
so the pope even espouses the above views, i believe.

as far as 'reparation' for things like 'affirmative action' etc, well, that's not so obvious. the supreme court has limited those situations where it's allowed though, to more reasonable areas. so it's not that big of a practical issue, and even in theory, it's reducing the harms of reverse discrmination in a healthy way, i would argue.

Edited by dairygirl4u2c

MissScripture

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1897355' date='Jun 21 2009, 07:14 AM']You are very rude. The United States is the greatest nation on earth whose official religion is not Catholicism.

That means that only Vatican City, Monaco, Malta, Liechtenstein, Costa Rica, Argentina, and Switzerland are greater nations than the United States.

:mellow:[/quote]
Huh! I didn't know Liechtenstein was Catholic! Nifty.

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1897477' date='Jun 21 2009, 10:48 AM']I does seem that the US is in the apology business these days. Canada and the Pope seem to be expected to apologize for everything under the sun too. Maybe England should apologize for beheading a few too many of my ancestors.[/quote]
Can I get an apology from Russia for putting my great-grandma and grandma in a concentration camp? And for shooting my great-grandfather in the street?
Interestingly enough, Germany paid (as in sent my great-grandmother checks) for my great-grandfather being shot... We're not really sure how that ended up happening, but for quite some time she got checks from the German gov't.

[quote name='dUSt' post='1897504' date='Jun 21 2009, 12:02 PM']The U.S. government hasn't apologized for slavery before this? Well it's about time.

Let's all pray for the day that the U.S. apologizes for abortion.[/quote]
Hopefully that will be soon!

[quote name='dUSt' post='1897573' date='Jun 21 2009, 01:35 PM']For personal reasons, I hope all black people get paid out of this.[/quote]
:hehehe:

icelandic_iceskater

I was talking to someone on fb the other day who thinks that the government should not only apologize, but also provide education (beyond highschool), health care, housing, and jobs for African Americans. like... overboard much? :mellow:

I do not see why he wants to go back into a situation not unlike the one his race once was in- where others have control over his life.

MissScripture

[quote name='icelandic_iceskater' post='1897585' date='Jun 21 2009, 01:47 PM']I was talking to someone on fb the other day who thinks that the government should not only apologize, but also provide education (beyond highschool), health care, housing, and jobs for African Americans. like... overboard much? :mellow:

I do not see why he wants to go back into a situation not unlike the one his race once was in- where others have control over his life.[/quote]
Well, if their healthcare provisions would be anything like Indian Health Services, or any of those things like they provide for the Native Americans, the person you were talking to had better be prepared to get the bottom of the barrel for pretty much everything...

[quote name='dUSt' post='1897504' date='Jun 21 2009, 01:02 PM']The U.S. government hasn't apologized for slavery before this? Well it's about time.

Let's all pray for the day that the U.S. apologizes for abortion.[/quote]
amen, brother

homeschoolmom

[quote name='dUSt' post='1897573' date='Jun 21 2009, 01:35 PM']For personal reasons, I hope all black people get paid out of this.[/quote]
As the white dude in the family, you'll be the one doing the paying.

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1897010' date='Jun 20 2009, 08:39 PM']It's hard to end slavery when most people don't even know it exists.[/quote]
+J.M.J.+
especially when it's sex slavery. :( most would like to ignore the problem.

Just for the record, my posts that have been censored involved a world that seems to be pretty offensive in America. Here it's similar to "silly-sausage" or "poopy-pants".
Regional differences I suppose.
Just incase anyone thinks I'm going off the rail >.>

[quote name='OraProMe' post='1897915' date='Jun 21 2009, 09:46 PM']Just for the record, my posts that have been censored involved a world that seems to be pretty offensive in America. Here it's similar to "silly-sausage" or "poopy-pants".
Regional differences I suppose.
Just incase anyone thinks I'm going off the rail >.>[/quote]
were in the world are you

[quote name='apparently' post='1897962' date='Jun 21 2009, 08:29 PM']were in the world are you[/quote]

Awwwstrayyaa m8ayyy.
Melbourne to be precise, one of the most multi-cultural cities in the world :D

Edited by OraProMe

[quote name='OraProMe' post='1897964' date='Jun 21 2009, 10:32 PM']Awwwstrayyaa m8ayyy.
Melbourne to be precise, one of the most multi-cultural cities in the world :D[/quote]
it's 9:50 pm sunday, 70 degrees f here, now
what is it like were you are, now

[quote name='apparently' post='1897990' date='Jun 21 2009, 09:47 PM']it's 9:50 pm sunday, 70 degrees f here, now
what is it like were you are, now[/quote]
OPM, that's 21C.

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1897998' date='Jun 21 2009, 09:53 PM']It's 17 degrees here, 8pm, and it will be light outside for about another 4 hours yet.[/quote]
Y'all 'mericans, that's 62.6F