An Old School Catholic Message Board

Passionist Postulant Will Be Invested

DameAgnes

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='DameAgnes' post='1895283' date='Jun 18 2009, 08:08 PM']A very good idea, VA![/quote]

Since I will be a third order regular, I will leave the honour to you, but consider yourself formally requested ;)

son_of_angels

I have often thought about it. I am a lay Benedictine Oblate, happily outside the monastery. But, there is a certain grace, a certain peace, that comes from offering yourself completely in the service of a monastery, while not expecting any of the dignity, rank, , indeed, tight monastic schedule that comes with becoming a 'monk.' Think of it like being a member of a Society of Apostolic Life.

There is a Brother Familiar at Clear Creek monastery. He does chores and does stuff that, otherwise, would require monks to miss the offices during the day, for example, picking up visitors from the airport who don't have rides to the monastery, and visiting with guests. It seems to be a wonderful, respectable life. Usually they make private promises that bind them in some way to the monastery.

In the same day when Shannon will be invested, in Minnesota there will be the funeral Mass of a priest wounded in Iraq some years ago. He almost "lost" his mind. In this year he started communicating but he died.

[url="http://romancatholicvocations.blogspot.com/2009/06/priest-gravely-wounded-in-iraq-in-2004.html"]http://romancatholicvocations.blogspot.com...aq-in-2004.html[/url]

Have a look at it. Moving. Pray for him also.

truthfinder

If anyony wants to see a few pictures of the newly invested go to the sisters' website (not their blog) and look under Mother's notebook.
There are a couple pictures and a write-up that was either a homily or just an explanation of her name.

the lords sheep

Passionist Vestition of [url="http://www.passionistnuns.org/blog/?p=133"]Sr. Rose Marie of the Merciful Heart of Jesus[/url]

Enjoy!

Edited by the lords sheep

VeniteAdoremus

And [url="http://www.passionistnuns.org/MothersNotebook/Habit/VestitionSRoMarie/index.htm"]here's the link Truthfinder mentioned :)[/url]

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='the lords sheep' post='1906077' date='Jun 30 2009, 01:26 PM']Ah, great minds think alike VA :))[/quote]

High five :)

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1894160' date='Jun 17 2009, 05:59 AM']The Carthusian nuns have a system where some of the sisters are "donata" and don't take vows (but do live the hardcore life, although they might have a set amount of Pater Nosters and Ave's instead of some of the Offices). I can't imagine being able to live that life without vows, but for some it is their vocation, apparently.

And in the old days, noblewomen did it all the time. They might have been too politically or economically important to be allowed to take vows, but they could still live the life that way.[/quote]

There is at least one Carthusian donate (a male known to my spiritual director) who has been living Carthusian life for a little over 50 years now - as a Donate. Donates make their donation for a year at a time and after a certain number of years (can't remember how many) the Carthusian Statues say that the Donate brother/sister is to be offerred the vowed life(perpetually)....this particular man has declined that offer preferring to stay "for just one more year"......he's up to over 50 now, one year at a time. God Bless him - he must be a man of excptional humility, faith and generosity.

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='osapientia' post='1906184' date='Jun 30 2009, 05:56 PM']There is at least one Carthusian donate (a male known to my spiritual director) who has been living Carthusian life for a little over 50 years now - as a Donate. Donates make their donation for a year at a time and after a certain number of years (can't remember how many) the Carthusian Statues say that the Donate brother/sister is to be offerred the vowed life(perpetually)....this particular man has declined that offer preferring to stay "for just one more year"......he's up to over 50 now, one year at a time. God Bless him - he must be a man of excptional humility, faith and generosity.[/quote]

Dude. Indeed.

PrayerSupporter

[quote name='truthfinder' post='1905779' date='Jun 29 2009, 10:31 PM']If anyony wants to see a few pictures of the newly invested go to the sisters' website (not their blog) and look under Mother's notebook.
There are a couple pictures and a write-up that was either a homily or just an explanation of her name.[/quote]

And the following link takes you to a slide show of her investiture, with beautiful singing by the nuns.

[url="http://www.passionistnuns.org/vocationstories/ProfPictures/SrRoMarieVestition/index.htm"]http://www.passionistnuns.org/vocationstor...ition/index.htm[/url]

• 8 months later...
sistersintigo

[quote name='osapientia' date='30 June 2009 - 11:56 AM' timestamp='1246373819' post='1906184']
There is at least one Carthusian donate (a male known to my spiritual director) who has been living Carthusian life for a little over 50 years now - as a Donate. Donates make their donation for a year at a time and after a certain number of years (can't remember how many) the Carthusian Statues say that the Donate brother/sister is to be offerred the vowed life(perpetually)....this particular man has declined that offer preferring to stay "for just one more year"......he's up to over 50 now, one year at a time. God Bless him - he must be a man of excptional humility, faith and generosity.
[/quote]
Would this exceptional man be the "brother" who entered in Vermont, and died recently? I have only heard of him as "Br. Michael."

[quote name='sistersintigo' date='26 March 2010 - 06:50 PM' timestamp='1269640255' post='2080908']
Would this exceptional man be the "brother" who entered in Vermont, and died recently? I have only heard of him as "Br. Michael."
[/quote]
Sorry, I don't know his name. If I remember, the next time I speak with my SD I'll ask him.

Saint Therese

[quote name='DameAgnes' date='17 June 2009 - 05:05 PM' timestamp='1245272734' post='1894512']

The actress Jane Wyman was a Third Order Dominican and was buried in her Dominican robes. If I remember right, Loretta Young was a Benedictine Oblate and buried in Benedictine robes. Rumer Godden, who wrote In This House of Brede was a Benedictine Oblate and I believe Dame Laurentia made a point of calling her "a true sister," of Stanbrook Abbey, which was Godden's abbey, to where she was affiliated.

For that matter, there are plenty of great saints who were not "vowed religious" but third order people and oblates: St. Catherine of Siena, (OP) St. Frances of Rome, (OSB) St. Rose of Lima, (OP) Bl. Georgio Frassati (OP) Servant of God Dorothy Day (OSB) Bl. Margaret of Castillo (OP) St. Martin de Porres (OP) St Henry II (OSB) and lots of others.

And too, St. Bernadette Soubirous, though a vowed sister was also a Third Order Franciscan, buried with their tri-knotted rope belt.

[/quote]

I think this is awesome.