An Old School Catholic Message Board

Anglican Nuns Going Roman

DameAgnes

Guest quxz3

[quote name='FSM Sister' post='1895578' date='Jun 18 2009, 09:23 PM']I haven't seen this addressed yet, so I'm going back to the original topic (Anglican Nuns Going Roman). Sorry if this is not the right place to address this...

Anyway, no one has said anything about where these nuns are going to live. Presumably, the convent where they are now living belongs to the Anglican church. Last July, 15 nuns from a schismatic convent in Washington state rejoined the Catholic Church. They left the mother house of the Religious Congregation of Mary Immaculate Queen (CMRI) in Spokane, WA to form a new congregation: the Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Church. They formally renounced their state of schism, made a profession of the Catholic faith, became a private association of the faithful under the care of Spokane Bishop William Skylstad, and recognized the legitimacy of the popes from Paul VI through Benedict XVI.

When I last read about them, the 15 sisters (from an order of about 32) were living in a wing of a retreat House owned by the Spokane Diocese. There's more on this here: [url="http://www.sistersofmarymotherofthechurch.org/67"]http://www.sistersofmarymotherofthechurch.org/67[/url]
few talks once a year. All but one of us has a few working years before we reach retirement, so we can earn salaries (most of us work in Catholic schools, so no one is getting rich off that!)

I worry about these Anglican sisters, because they are all at or near retirement age. Their main sources of income are the retreat house (which probably belongs to the Anglican church - so there goes that source of revenue) or their card making. That won't pay the light bill, let alone anything else!

If anyone knows how they are going to make ends meet, would you mind posting it here or PM me? God bless you! And everyone else, PLEASE PRAY FOR THESE SISTERS![/quote]

It's very nice of you to be concerned about them.

It has been a sticking point for me for years how the RC sisters were underpaid, didn't have SS withheld, etc. for a very long time, and now are perceived as not needing support.

I believe that the ASSPs own their convent, retreat house and grounds. I do feel for the two 'left behind'--what are they supposed to do?-and I cna't feel that things are going to be the same once the others convert. There are no other orders in the ECUSA comparable to them, and the others have their own problems-are in middle age at least.

The ASSPs tho' prob have no money worries--they may also have an endowment.

It will be interesting to see if they get candidates. There are a lot of habited RC orders that aren't getting candidates besides the ones that do, that we hear about--some have 'cachet', and some don't.

[quote name='quxz3' post='1896787' date='Jun 20 2009, 05:02 PM']It's very nice of you to be concerned about them.

It will be interesting to see if they get candidates. There are a lot of habited RC orders that aren't getting candidates besides the ones that do, that we hear about--some have 'cachet', and some don't.[/quote]

I wouldn't be surprised if they do get some candidates. There may be a bit of vocation interest in the pastoral provision parishes that have Anglican Use liturgies.

she_who_is_not

[quote name='FSM Sister' post='1897118' date='Jun 21 2009, 12:36 AM']I wouldn't be surprised if they do get some candidates. There may be a bit of vocation interest in the pastoral provision parishes that have Anglican Use liturgies.[/quote]

Also from Anglican converts!!!! Some of us have been praying for this!!!