An Old School Catholic Message Board

Anglican Nuns Going Roman

DameAgnes

These Anglican Sisters are going to be received into church September 3rd

[url="http://www.asspconvent.org/index.htm#INTRODUCTION"]http://www.asspconvent.org/index.htm#INTRODUCTION[/url]

From a friend: "Long the most traditional order in the Episcopal Church, it's been increasingly apparent that their days in that church were numbered. Their discussions with the Archdiocese of Baltimore have gone on quietly for some time, and more intensively over the past year or so -- and now apparently, it's official. The "first public announcement" of this was made on Thursday at the Anglican Use Conference in Houston. All Saints Sisters of the Poor, of Catonsville (Baltimore) and Philadelphia, will be received into the Catholic Church on September 3rd.

SPS

[url="http://www.asspconvent.org/"]http://www.asspconvent.org/[/url]

How interesting. I had met a woman though a vocation website who told me about this community back in 2002 - she'd known them for years and spent much time at the guest house. One of the Sisters was her spiritual director. She said the Sisters were the kindest she'd ever met. She was seriously discerning with them...and had actually left the Catholic church to become Anglican after getting to know this community.

We lost touch, but I've thought of her now and then and wondered if she did enter. She was such a lovely person.

Thanks so much for posting this news. :)

she_who_is_not

I am so amazingly filled with joy. I have been praying for these sisters!
Please pray for other communities of Anglican/Episcopal sisters esp. The Sisterhood of the Holy Nativity!

I have a cousin who is an Episcopalian nun in Boston. I pray that they will do the same, but I'm not hopeful. They are a progressive order, and a couple of their members are Episcopalian priests.

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1890308' date='Jun 14 2009, 12:52 PM']I have a cousin who is an Episcopalian nun in Boston. I pray that they will do the same, but I'm not hopeful. They are a progressive order, and a couple of their members are Episcopalian priests.[/quote]

I don't quite understand why you would pray for them to change. They are a wonderful community (and have been a spiritual blessing in Boston for decades).

I'm happy for the community who is changing because it is what they want and believe it is what God has called them to do, but most of these posts seem to be celebrating more that they are becoming Catholic. There are many, many non-Catholic religious communities who serve our Beloved authentically and beautifully.

Edited by Grace06

[quote name='Grace06' post='1890320' date='Jun 14 2009, 11:25 AM']I don't quite understand why you would pray for them to change. They are a wonderful community (and have been a spiritual blessing in Boston for decades).

I'm happy for the community who is changing because it is what they want and believe it is what God has called them to do, but most of these posts seem to be celebrating more that they are becoming Catholic. There are many, many non-Catholic religious communities who serve our Beloved authentically and beautifully.[/quote]

I pray for all separated brethren. The work that she has done over the years is truly a gift. She worked many years as a nurse in Haiti during the worst part of the AIDS crisis there. Temporal works of Social Justice are very important, but we are also supposed to be worried about immortal souls.

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1890329' date='Jun 14 2009, 01:51 PM'][b]I pray for all separated brethren[/b]. The work that she has done over the years is truly a gift. She worked many years as a nurse in Haiti during the worst part of the AIDS crisis there. Temporal works of Social Justice are very important, but we are also supposed to be worried about immortal souls.[/quote]

All separated brethren? Dear heart, the way to heaven is not limited to Catholics. :sign:

Edited by Grace06

[quote name='Grace06' post='1890338' date='Jun 14 2009, 12:14 PM']All separated brethren? Dear heart, the way to heaven is not limited to Catholics. :sign:[/quote]

I am well aware of that. I am a believer in Rahner's theology of "anonymous Christians." My father used to explain it like this. You can go your entire life without seeing a dentist, and still keep your teeth, but going to a dentist sure makes it easier. If we know that we have the fullness of revelation and truth, why shouldn't we want everyone to else to partake of it as well? I love my relatives, the ones who attend churches, and the ones who don't. I intend to continue praying that they accept the gift the Christ left us. By the way, I tend to only respond to condescension from those who are at least 20 years older than I am.

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1890345' date='Jun 14 2009, 02:38 PM']I am well aware of that. I am a believer in Rahner's theology of "anonymous Christians." My father used to explain it like this. You can go your entire life without seeing a dentist, and still keep your teeth, but going to a dentist sure makes it easier. If we know that we have the fullness of revelation and truth, why shouldn't we want everyone to else to partake of it as well? I love my relatives, the ones who attend churches, and the ones who don't. I intend to continue praying that they accept the gift the Christ left us. By the way, I tend to only respond to condescension from those who are at least 20 years older than I am.[/quote]

Well, I was certainly not being condescending at all. It was an endearment, as I am under the assumption we can respectfully disagree here. As to the little snip about age, you are barking up the wrong tree...with age, comes wisdom, blessedly. Perhaps in 20 plus years you will understand. :D

[quote name='Grace06' post='1890351' date='Jun 14 2009, 12:56 PM']Well, I was certainly not being condescending at all. It was an endearment, as I am under the assumption we can respectfully disagree here. As to the little snip about age, you are barking up the wrong tree...with age, comes wisdom, blessedly. Perhaps in 20 plus years you will understand. :D[/quote]

Yes we can certainly respectfully disagree here, some more prickly than others though. I agree with age come wisdom, otherwise we'd never make it to be old in the first place. I certainly hope this old beaten up body has another 20 years left in it.