An Old School Catholic Message Board

Ecumenism

OraProMe

How can Mortalium Animos which says:

[i]“With this object, congresses, meetings and addresses are arranged, attended by a large concourse of hearers, where all without distinction, unbelievers of every kind as well as Christians, even those who unhappily have rejected Christ and denied His Divine Nature or mission, are invited to join in the discussion. Now, such efforts can meet with no kind of approval among Catholics. They presuppose the erroneous view that all religions are more or less good and praiseworthy, inasmuch as all give expression, under various forms, to that innate sense which leads men to God and to the obedient acknowledgment of His rule... to favor this opinion, therefore, and to encourage such undertakings, is tantamount to abandoning the religion revealed by God.”[/i]

be compatible with ecumenical gatherings on the parish, diocesan and international level?
Shouldn't ecumenism be about true unity. Based on the Petrine government and Catholic doctrine?

Personally, I think practicing ecumenism on the local level leads only to religious relativism and even the Vatican holding events such as Assisi prayer days for peace are detrimental to a true understanding of the divine nature of the Church.

You guys?

too boring

this is beyond my attention level

i guess I'll trudge back to the lame board

Edited by pat22

Ecumenism works both ways--by participating we have the opportunity to expose the Church to those who would otherwise never step foot through our doors because of fear and misconception.

One of my best friends is an Assemblies of God missionary to Costa Rica, and while she was still in the States we had a lunch Bible study going on. It gave me the chance to understand her perspective better, answer her questions about the Church, and become a better apologist. If I had refused to participate, I would lack the knowledge and skills I have now.

Generally, my view is positive. The fact that my other half was a Baptist for the first 2.5 years of our relationship certainly didn't hurt, either. ;)

[quote name='OraProMe' post='1889609' date='Jun 13 2009, 10:07 AM']How can Mortalium Animos which says:

[i]“With this object, congresses, meetings and addresses are arranged, attended by a large concourse of hearers, where all without distinction, unbelievers of every kind as well as Christians, even those who unhappily have rejected Christ and denied His Divine Nature or mission, are invited to join in the discussion. Now, such efforts can meet with no kind of approval among Catholics. They presuppose the erroneous view that all religions are more or less good and praiseworthy, inasmuch as all give expression, under various forms, to that innate sense which leads men to God and to the obedient acknowledgment of His rule... to favor this opinion, therefore, and to encourage such undertakings, is tantamount to abandoning the religion revealed by God.”[/i]

be compatible with ecumenical gatherings on the parish, diocesan and international level?
Shouldn't ecumenism be about true unity. Based on the Petrine government and Catholic doctrine?

Personally, I think practicing ecumenism on the local level leads only to religious relativism and even the Vatican holding events such as Assisi prayer days for peace are detrimental to a true understanding of the divine nature of the Church.

You guys?[/quote]
I don't think you can quite describe a day of prayer led by the pope as "a large concourse of hearers, where all without distinction, unbelievers of every kind as well as Christians, even those who unhappily have rejected Christ and denied His Divine Nature or mission, are invited to join in the discussion" no matter who was invited to participate. It wasn't a free-for-all with anyone's words given equal status.

[i]Mortalium Animos[/i] condemns certain aspects of ecumenism, not the idea as a whole. Specifically, the idea that Catholics would fail to stand up for the truths of the church in the name of unity.