An Old School Catholic Message Board

Middle/dark Ages

picchick

HisChildForever

[quote name='Hassan' post='1890660' date='Jun 14 2009, 08:40 PM']lol, there's no reason you can't add your thoughts now.[/quote]

I'm not really sure what KoC is arguing.

[quote name='HisChildForever' post='1890667' date='Jun 14 2009, 08:51 PM']I'm not really sure what KoC is arguing.[/quote]

This might give some context.
[url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=94884&st=0"]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?s...=94884&st=0[/url]

HisChildForever

Well I agree with what Meg has been saying, but if KoC is disagreeing with her, then is he saying that it was a woman's fault if she was uneducated about the Church?

[quote name='HisChildForever' post='1890675' date='Jun 14 2009, 07:56 PM']Well I agree with what Meg has been saying, but if KoC is disagreeing with her, then is he saying that it was a woman's fault if she was uneducated about the Church?[/quote]

I really don't know exactly what he is arguing either to be honest.

KnightofChrist

[quote name='HisChildForever' post='1890675' date='Jun 14 2009, 07:56 PM']Well I agree with what Meg has been saying, but if KoC is disagreeing with her, then is he saying that it was a woman's fault if she was uneducated about the Church?[/quote]

No, I was saying that I wouldn't assume that a woman of that time wasn't uneducated about the Church.

[quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1890685' date='Jun 14 2009, 08:04 PM']No, I was saying that I wouldn't assume that a woman of that time wasn't uneducated about the Church.[/quote]

During the dark ages I can about guarantee you most people were uneducated in general, including regarding the Church.

HisChildForever

[quote name='Hassan' post='1890687' date='Jun 14 2009, 09:07 PM']During the dark ages I can about guarantee you most people were uneducated in general, including regarding the Church.[/quote]

I.........agree. :drunk:

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Hassan' post='1890687' date='Jun 14 2009, 09:07 PM']During the dark ages I can about guarantee you most people were uneducated in general, including regarding the Church.[/quote]

Sure, and ps Doc whats his DeLorean back.

The Church did not cause the dark ages. I understand atheists and non Catholics like to use the dark ages to beat up the Church, and there is a lot of Church conduct to attack during the Dark and Middle Ages, but acting like the Church somehow caused it is silly. But when you seem to defend the dark ages you risk looking silly and making your Church look out of toutch with reality.

[quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1890690' date='Jun 14 2009, 08:10 PM']Sure, and ps Doc whats his DeLorean back.[/quote]

I don't know who Doc is or what a DeLorean is or why he wants it.

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Hassan' post='1890693' date='Jun 14 2009, 09:11 PM']I don't know who Doc is or what a DeLorean is or why he wants it.[/quote]

Yes, you do...

[img]http://content8.flixster.com/question/29/39/57/2939570_std.jpg[/img]

[quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1890697' date='Jun 14 2009, 09:13 PM']Yes, you do...

[img]http://content8.flixster.com/question/29/39/57/2939570_std.jpg[/img][/quote]

Lol. That movie (Back to the Future right?) was made like a half a decade before I was born. I've never actually seen it. So I really don't know the reference.

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Hassan' post='1890691' date='Jun 14 2009, 09:10 PM']The Church did not cause the dark ages. I understand atheists and non Catholics like to use the dark ages to beat up the Church, and there is a lot of Church conduct to attack during the Dark and Middle Ages, but acting like the Church somehow caused it is silly. But when you seem to defend the dark ages you risk looking silly and making your Church look out of toutch with reality.[/quote]

All I cared about was defending that time in history from preconceived notions based on elementary level education. Many historians today dislike even the term dark ages, and the term is rarely used because of the value judgment it implies.

HisChildForever

[quote name='Hassan' post='1890693' date='Jun 14 2009, 09:11 PM']I don't know who Doc is or what a DeLorean is or why he wants it.[/quote]

He's making a reference to Back to the Future, insinuating that you must have gone back in time to the Dark Ages in order to say that you "guarantee" a lot of people were, in general, uneducated back then.

[quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1890706' date='Jun 14 2009, 08:18 PM']All I cared about was defending that time in history from preconceived notions based on elementary level education. Many historians today dislike even the term dark ages, and the term is rarely used because of the value judgment it implies.[/quote]

I understand that to a degree. The Church gets a lot of unfair blame for the dark ages. But it seems like you don't try to refute the simplistic and false idea that the Church somehow dragged the enlightened classical world to squalor or some non sense like that, but rather try to vindicate the times.

Like with science. Scientific progres was pretty stagnant during the dark ages as far as I know. It's fair to refute the false prejudices about the Church's role in the stagnation. But to try and assert that the scientific method was formed during the middle ages or that there was not a serious decline in scientific knowledge is just not historical. That's just an example where I have some knowledge.