An Old School Catholic Message Board

Middle/dark Ages

picchick

homeschoolmom

[quote name='picchick' post='1889751' date='Jun 13 2009, 03:18 PM']well then maybe that is why it is considered "Dark"[/quote]
No electric street lights, duh.

My professor for History of the Reformation told us that the idea of the "Dark Ages" was actually developed by Protestant Englishmen around the time of the English Reformation as a way of casting aspersion on the Catholic Church, since the Catholic Church actually had great advances and was deeply influential in the culture during those years. It was a form of propaganda because of the long and bitter fight between Catholics and Protestants in England. Protestants needed to find a way to demonize Catholics, and casting a dark light on history was one way it was done.

The history of Spain underwent a similar propagandization, termed the "black legend."

[quote name='Terra Firma' post='1889760' date='Jun 13 2009, 02:56 PM']My professor for History of the Reformation told us that the idea of the "Dark Ages" was actually developed by Protestant Englishmen around the time of the English Reformation as a way of casting aspersion on the Catholic Church, since the Catholic Church actually had great advances and was deeply influential in the culture during those years. It was a form of propaganda because of the long and bitter fight between Catholics and Protestants in England. Protestants needed to find a way to demonize Catholics, and casting a dark light on history was one way it was done.

The history of Spain underwent a similar propagandization, termed the "black legend."[/quote]

I guess the fall of the Roman empire and the virtual collapse of western civilization was also Protestant Propaganda.

To Resurrexi, yes Benedicts founding of monastic communities was a great thing.

I think Medieval times were fascinating, but it isnt clear to me exactly what we are debating/discussing here in the thread?

Pro & Cons for what aspect of the Middle Ages?

Edited by kafka

[quote name='Winchester' post='1890012' date='Jun 13 2009, 08:34 PM']Actually, women's status fell after the medieval period. Read Regine Pernoud.[/quote]
This is true.

Same prof talked about this phenomenon, and tied it to the fact that marriage is no longer a sacrament, and many monesteries and convents were dissolved. To the former point, seeing marriage as a sacrament means it's a transcendent place in which this divine is met; women are as necessary as men to participate in this.

Convents were a place of protection, even for married women, because they dignified the place of women in society by showing that women could find happiness and fulfillment without relying on men. Catholicism valued (and still values) women.

In the societies where Catholicism was most reviled, women lost status because their value and purpose was to please their husbands. My prof theorized that this is the reason that you see the most strident feminism arising in those countries. The home becomes a place of insignificance, a place of instrumentality, and not a place in which we meet the divine.

Well yes, you can talk about that stuff. However, I think the major point is being missed here: You could go pee wherever you wanted!

ie: It's called the Dark Ages because light haden't been invented yet... :mellow: DOY!

(I just felt the urge to join into this conversation...)

dominicansoul

[quote name='Terra Firma' post='1889760' date='Jun 13 2009, 02:56 PM']My professor for History of the Reformation told us that the idea of the "Dark Ages" was actually developed by Protestant Englishmen around the time of the English Reformation as a way of casting aspersion on the Catholic Church, since the Catholic Church actually had great advances and was deeply influential in the culture during those years. It was a form of propaganda because of the long and bitter fight between Catholics and Protestants in England. Protestants needed to find a way to demonize Catholics, and casting a dark light on history was one way it was done.

The history of Spain underwent a similar propagandization, termed the "black legend."[/quote]

:yes:

As a Catholic, I know that most of what I read in history books pertaining to the Church can be quite exaggerated and mostly critical...

Don't trust just any source. When I was reading the other thread where this one sprung up, I couldn't help but notice how easy people are fooled by what they read or how society can make us see ourselves as we aren't. Just 'cos the world says the Church was bad bad bad (in any particular age, in this case, the "Dark Ages,") doesn't mean She really was... (and we should know that.. after all, the majority of us are Catholics...and we know our Faith is True, and we will be persecuted and criminalized time after time after time...)

I like this thread, because already, I have read so many beautiful positive things that occurred during the "dreaded dark ages..."

[quote name='kafka' post='1889831' date='Jun 13 2009, 07:33 PM']...Medieval times ...[/quote]
[img]http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h284/edwardkittyspel23/cableguymedeivaltimes.jpg[/img]

There were no utensils in medieval times, hence there are no utensils AT Medieval Times.

[quote name='Winchester' post='1890362' date='Jun 14 2009, 03:21 PM']Bears are food.[/quote]

The feeling is mutual.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Winchester' post='1890354' date='Jun 14 2009, 01:01 PM'][img]http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h284/edwardkittyspel23/cableguymedeivaltimes.jpg[/img]

There were no utensils in medieval times, hence there are no utensils AT Medieval Times.[/quote]
So much fun. ^_^

[quote name='HisChildForever' post='1890625' date='Jun 14 2009, 08:07 PM']This could have been a good debate, too bad I missed out on it.[/quote]

lol, there's no reason you can't add your thoughts now.