An Old School Catholic Message Board

Freedom Of Speech

Hassan

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1888639' date='Jun 11 2009, 09:12 PM']Here's what Leo XIII said about freedom of speech and freedom of the press:

"...Men have a right freely and prudently to propagate throughout the State what things soever are true and honorable, so that as many as possible may possess them; but Iying opinions, than which no mental plague is greater, and vices which corrupt the heart and moral life should be diligently repressed by public authority, lest they insidiously work the ruin of the State..."[/quote]

Obviously it would require a Catholic State to recognize this... I don't happen to find that to be a realistic option in today's society, and I'm not so sure I'd want it anyway. Even if the Middle Ages were much better than we have the impression of believing, every period in history has its vices. I recall reading something just a few weeks ago about prostitution in medieval Italy... how it was practically an institution of society.

I'd rather look forward to heaven.

Edited by LouisvilleFan

hoosieranna

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' post='1888984' date='Jun 12 2009, 09:49 AM']Obviously it would require a Catholic State to recognize this... I don't happen to find that to be a realistic option in today's society, and I'm not so sure I'd want it anyway. Even [b]if the Middle Ages were much better than we have the impression of believing[/b], every period in history has its vices. I recall reading something just a few weeks ago about prostitution in medieval Italy... how it was practically an institution of society.

I'd rather look forward to heaven.[/quote]

It's a pet cause of the boy. The Middle Ages appear more on the Lame Board than you might think. I personally am happier not being treated as chattel whose sole reason for existence is making children.

Good post.

Lounge Daddy

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1888572' date='Jun 11 2009, 05:43 PM']I am only a Statist if by that term you mean that I believe that all governing authority comes from God.

I am only a Theocrat if by that term you mean that I believe that the Catholic religion should be held as the only religion of the State, to the exclusion of all other forms of worship[/quote]

Seeing as you suggest that a Theocratic State would be desirable as long as it is a Catholic one, you are a sounding like a Theocrat and a Statist.

It's for the best that the papal states are gone. Divine Right caused more problems, and solved few other than to pacify some of the subjects; and the middle-ages saw some of the worst offences ever.

You are romanticising a dark era.

Edited by Lounge Daddy

Lounge Daddy

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1888907' date='Jun 12 2009, 03:22 AM']There is still torture today...[/quote]

Ya, we have torture practised in the name of the State, instead of in the name of God. The worst evils are the ones commited in the name of God.

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1888907' date='Jun 12 2009, 03:22 AM']But do you know what we don't have today? We don't have a large number of powerful states which recognize Catholicism as their official religion ...[/quote]

In other words, we don't have entire populations being coerced into practising Catholicism under threat of law? This is a good thing, Res!

God trusts us with the liberty to choose freely. We need to imitate Him, and trust our brothers and sisters with that same liberty.

Edited by Lounge Daddy

KnightofChrist

The Middle Ages and Dark Ages where not as bad as everyone here is making them out. It is true that in many ways the Catholic Church was better then, and in many way the Church is more weak now. People problems with the Middle Ages or Dark Ages seems to be based on the over simplistic elementary school understanding of those times.

Women in this age are vastly more objectified than in those times. Greater and more numerous evils have been committed in our age than in that time. Communist Russian alone murdered vast amounts of more people than where murdered in the name of God by all the states of that time. There are now a uncountable amount of Heresies many more than in that age.

And frankly I am amazed how quickly Catholics here will attack a fellow Catholic, Rex, using there same failed understanding of the middle/dark ages that anti-Catholics use to attack the Church.

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='Nadezhda' post='1888990' date='Jun 12 2009, 11:04 AM']It's a pet cause of the boy. The Middle Ages appear more on the Lame Board than you might think. I personally am happier not being treated as chattel whose sole reason for existence is making children.

Good post.[/quote]

Well, I'm sure like everything, our perception is affected by many factors that are never discussed in a middle school history class. I certainly see a level of attractivness to living in a both nominally and spiritually Catholic nation, but I also know that in our fallen nature, there would be abuses that are currently not problems in our democratic and tolerant society. If I could pick any political rule under which to live, I'd choose a saintly Catholic monarch; but the worst rule to live under would be the evil totalitarian who takes the throne by force. Am I willing to trade the ideal political rule to avoid the worst? Most definitely. And most of Western society apparently feels the same.

Number one rule of economics: there is [i]always[/i] a trade off. And each society decide -- as a society -- what price they're willing to pay for whatever benefits they might gain for their freedoms and lifestyle.

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' post='1888984' date='Jun 12 2009, 09:49 AM']Obviously it would require a Catholic State to recognize this... I don't happen to find that to be a realistic option in today's society, and I'm not so sure I'd want it anyway. Even if the Middle Ages were much better than we have the impression of believing, every period in history has its vices. I recall reading something just a few weeks ago about prostitution in medieval Italy... how it was practically an institution of society.

I'd rather look forward to heaven.[/quote]

According to the teachings of the Church, a government which holds the Catholic religion as the sole religion of the State would be the ideal. This would probably not be attainable in the United States today, but it would be if Catholics ever made up most of the United States population.

[quote name='Lounge Daddy' post='1889045' date='Jun 12 2009, 11:29 AM']It's for the best that the papal states are gone. Divine Right caused more problems, and solved few other than to pacify some of the subjects; and the middle-ages saw some of the worst offences ever.[/quote]

Bl. Pius IX condemned the following preposition:
"The abolition of the civil power which the Apostolic See possesses, would be extremely conducive to the liberty and prosperity of the Church" (Denzinger-Schonmezter 2976)
Obviously, the Papal states still do exist in the form of the Vatican City-State. Surely you don't think that the Vatican should be taken from the Pope, too?

[i]Divine right of civil rulers[/i] is actually a Catholic doctrine if by that term it is meant that the authority required by the moral order derives from God. Christ Himself said to Pilate: "Thou shouldst not have any power against me, unless it were given thee from above." (John 19:11)

[quote name='Lounge Daddy' post='1889048' date='Jun 12 2009, 11:36 AM']In other words, we don't have entire populations being coerced into practising Catholicism under threat of law? This is a good thing, Res![/quote]

When did I ever state that the State should coerce the people into practicing Catholicism? To say that would be contrary to the teachings of the Magisterium:

"It is therefore completely in accord with the nature of faith that in matters religious every manner of coercion on the part of men should be excluded." (Second Ecumenical Vatican Council,[i] Dignitatis Humanae[/i] 10)

Lounge Daddy

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1889154' date='Jun 12 2009, 03:06 PM']When did I ever state that the State should coerce the people into practicing Catholicism?[/quote]

Because that is what a state religion is; making it law to practice one faith and illegal to practice any other.

Lounge Daddy

[quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1889085' date='Jun 12 2009, 12:36 PM']The Middle Ages and Dark Ages where not as bad as everyone here is making them out. It is true that in many ways the Catholic Church was better then, and in many way the Church is more weak now.[/quote]

Ok. In many other ways the Church is better now, and was more weak then. People like Saint Francis were needed for a real reason then--to trigger some much needed reforms. Also, Luther's grievances were legitimate (although his actions of forming his own church were not). Goodness, some of our worst popes were during that era.

To romanticise that time and say it was perfect and we should go backwards in time is foolish. And to criticise that time isn't saying that everything is perfect today.

We are far better off keeping the realm of politics separate from the realm of religion. I have a real problem with the suggestion that church and state should be united, which is what Res seems to be suggesting. It is no accident that the areas of the world with the most problems are the same areas that haven't figured this out yet.

Edited by Lounge Daddy

[quote name='Lounge Daddy' post='1889169' date='Jun 12 2009, 03:57 PM']Because that is what a state religion is; making it law to practice one faith and illegal to practice any other.[/quote]

:lol_pound:

You should probably let the Republic of Malta know that!

[quote name='The Constitution of Malta']Section 2 [State Religion]

(1) The religion of Malta is the Roman Catholic Apostolic Religion.[/quote]

[quote name='The Constitution of Malta']Section 40 [Religion, Belief]

(1) All persons in Malta shall have full freedom of conscience and enjoy the free exercise of their respective mode of religious worship.[/quote]

Edited by Resurrexi

Vasilius Konstantinos

Give me a Democratic-Republic, a sound Capitalist State, a soldi Constitution with a free market and the freedom to worship as I choose any day.

Anything else would be an enforcement on someone's personal rights to believe and/or practices, as long as their practices does not force harm or take others rights away either.

Lounge Daddy

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1888729' date='Jun 11 2009, 10:14 PM']The Catechism says:

"The authority required by the moral order derives from God: 'Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God. Therefore he who resists the authorities resists what God has appointed, and those who resist will incur judgment.'" (Catechism of the Catholic Church 1899)[/quote]

That's what the Catechism *said.*

[indent]"The Church, because of her commission and competence, is not to be confused in any way with the political community."
2245. From the current Catechism of the Catholic Church.[/indent]

A separation of church affairs from state affairs is not just a good idea, but is also a part of current Catholic teaching. Thank God the Church has grown and has learned from past problems.

Lounge Daddy

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1889179' date='Jun 12 2009, 04:14 PM']You should probably let the Republic of Malta know that![/quote]

I'm glad I don't live in Malta.

Lounge Daddy

[quote name='Vasilius Konstantinos' post='1889185' date='Jun 12 2009, 04:22 PM']Give me a Democratic-Republic, a sound Capitalist State, a soldi Constitution with a free market and the freedom to worship as I choose any day.

Anything else would be an enforcement on someone's personal rights to believe and/or practices, as long as their practices does not force harm or take others rights away either.[/quote]

:cool:

[quote name='Lounge Daddy' post='1889203' date='Jun 12 2009, 04:48 PM']That's what the Catechism *said.*

[indent]"The Church, because of her commission and competence, is not to be confused in any way with the political community."
2245. From the current Catechism of the Catholic Church.[/indent]

A separation of church affairs from state affairs is not just a good idea, but is also a part of current Catholic teaching. Thank God the Church has grown and has learned from past problems.[/quote]

The Catechism of the Catholic Church [i]still [/i]says, "The authority required by the moral order derives from God: 'Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God. Therefore he who resists the authorities resists what God has appointed, and those who resist will incur judgment.'" If you don't believe me, you can go read this part of the Catechism on the Vatican's website [url="http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p3s1c2a2.htm"]in English[/url] or [url="http://www.vatican.va/archive/catechism_lt/p3s1c2a2_lt.htm#II.%20Bonum%20commune"]in Latin[/url].

Separation of Church and State is not a part of Catholic teaching. We must read the Catechism in light of the teachings of previous Pontiffs. Blessed Pius IX condemned separation of Church and State as an error in his [i]Syllabus of Errors[/i]:

"The Church is to be separated from the state, and the state from the Church" (Denzinger-Schonmetzer 2955)