An Old School Catholic Message Board

American Revolution

Resurrexi

62 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Nihil Obstat

I'm all in favour of scrapping the monarchy, by the way. :) I think it's a useless part of our society that's only there for nostalgia's sake.

EDIT: I mean the Canadian monarchy. I'm saying nothing about monarchies in any other country.

Edited by Nihil Obstat

cassandragirl

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1885386' date='Jun 7 2009, 12:56 AM']I was going to mention Canada as well, but I realized that doing so would not advance my argument that it would be good for the United States to belong to the Commonwealth.

:detective:[/quote]

Whatever benefit there was from the commonwealth seems to be missed today. On my visit to Oz and Kiwiland - they felt they got nothing for it - they pay for the upkeep of the royals nd get to put her picture on their moneyand that is about it.

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1885421' date='Jun 7 2009, 02:59 AM']I do not really see how forbidding trade with non-British traders constitutes a "grave violation of fundamental rights."[/quote]

Um...it was more than that, as many have posted already here. Forbidding trade is a small part.

They also did not have freedom of speech. They also had to allow any soldier to enter their home without being able to say no. So...I think it is more than just forbidding trade. Perhaps you should review early American history. ;)

Don't tread on me!

(I think we should all also note our own government now violates more rights than King George's did back in the day. Secession I say!)

[quote name='Hassan' post='1885379' date='Jun 7 2009, 01:51 AM']Prolly not.

Although I'm glad it happened.[/quote]

I tend to agree.

[quote name='picchick' post='1887156' date='Jun 9 2009, 01:42 PM']Forbidding trade is a small part.

They also did not have freedom of speech. They also had to allow any soldier to enter their home without being able to say no. So...I think it is more than just forbidding trade. Perhaps you should review early American history. ;)[/quote]

Is freedom of speech that criticizes the government a "fundamental right"? Obviously we're looking at this from an American viewpoint, but in many other societies now and in the past this is not a "fundamental right." I don't know if I'd classify quartering troops and the kind of speech suppression going on in the colonies as "grave."

Also I don't think the American Revolution passes the other requirements (#4 I'm a bit iffy on; we DID win, but at the time I don't think an objective observer would say there was well-founded hope for victory).

TotusTuusMaria

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1886732' date='Jun 8 2009, 08:56 PM']I'm all in favour of scrapping the monarchy, by the way. :) I think it's a useless part of our society that's only there for nostalgia's sake.

EDIT: I mean the Canadian monarchy. I'm saying nothing about monarchies in any other country.[/quote]

Like Queen Icey-Ice-Landy, TTM, and Princess Gianna?

:saint:

Edited by TotusTuusMaria

TotusTuusMaria

i voted undecided

I think I probably would have been a royalist.

Edited by TotusTuusMaria

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='TotusTuusMaria' post='1887336' date='Jun 9 2009, 05:30 PM']Like Queen Icey-Ice-Landy, TTM, and Princess Gianna?

:saint:[/quote]
Precisely. Also the High Lord Sovereign Duke Joseph of the West, Marshal of the Western Assembly. :saint:

[quote name='picchick' post='1887156' date='Jun 9 2009, 01:42 PM']Um...it was more than that, as many have posted already here. Forbidding trade is a small part.

They also did not have freedom of speech. They also had to allow any soldier to enter their home without being able to say no. So...I think it is more than just forbidding trade. Perhaps you should review early American history. ;)[/quote]

I don't think that freedom of speech should exist, but you're right that I should probably take a closer look at the history behind the American Revolution. :)

Edited by Resurrexi

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1887469' date='Jun 9 2009, 10:14 PM']I don't think that freedom of speech should exist, but you're right that I should probably take a closer look at the history behind the American Revolution. :)[/quote]

If the freedom of speech is the right to speak truth, it does exist I believe. If the freedom of speech is the 'right' to speak lies and errors it does not exist.

[quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1887501' date='Jun 9 2009, 11:09 PM']If the freedom of speech is the right to speak truth, it does exist I believe. If the freedom of speech is the 'right' to speak lies and errors it does not exist.[/quote]

:yes:

[quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1887501' date='Jun 9 2009, 11:09 PM']If the freedom of speech is the right to speak truth, it does exist I believe. If the freedom of speech is the 'right' to speak lies and errors it does not exist.[/quote]

And who decides what constitutes "lies" and "errors"?

By the standards of modern biology, anthropology, and history the Bible is quite full of errors. I don't know about you but I wouldn't want the Bible banned.

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Hassan' post='1887515' date='Jun 9 2009, 11:25 PM']And who decides what constitutes "lies" and "errors"?

By the standards of modern biology, anthropology, and history the Bible is quite full of errors. I don't know about you but I wouldn't want the Bible banned.[/quote]

The Holy Catholic Church would. And no the bible is not full of errors, that is a lie.

[quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1887518' date='Jun 9 2009, 10:30 PM']The Holy Catholic Church would.[/quote]

Do you have any objective, rational basis for that judgement that the non Catholic portion of the human population, a large majority of that population btw, could accept?

[quote]And no the bible is not full of errors, that is a lie.[/quote]

I didn't say it was. I said by the standards of various modern fields of knowledge it contained quite a few errors. I'm sorry if you don't like that but it is correct. Unless you can find a anthropologist who believes that the human population began with s single pair of humans. For example.

KnightofChrist

Yes, but I don't have time to waste with you tonight Mr. Hassan. The Bible is without error. But thanks for taking us off topic.

Edited by KnightofChrist