An Old School Catholic Message Board

Confirmation Age?

princessgianna

Groo the Wanderer

Lest we forget, many of the Eastern Rites administer Confirmation/Chrismation at the same time as Baptism, along with First Communion.

There seems to be a couple schools of thought surrounding this, as the age and custom of administering Confirmation has changed a lot in the last 2000 years.

One thought is that the Sacrament should be understood by the recipient. In our diocese, the normal age for Confirmation is around 10th grade (14/15). However, as my daughter so vociferously pointed out, this is poopy since a kid whose parents neglected to get them properly baptized can go through RCIA adapted and get all 3 Sacraments of Initiation prior to 10th grade. If for no other reason than this loophole that rewards poor parental fidelity to catachesis, I personally think this should be rethought. I defer to the USCCB however.

Another thought is that nobody truly understands the Sacraments. Since every sacraments confers grace upon the recipient, the sooner they begin to receive those graces the better. Perhaps this tends to make them stronger in the faith in adulthood. No idea myself really, but I have not heard recently of any church scandals involving the Eastern Rites in union with Rome.

homeschoolmom

Now I have nothing to say because everyone already said all the good stuff:

[quote name='cappie' post='1883953' date='Jun 5 2009, 06:12 AM']Some people start off with an incorrect premise. That the sacraments are soem kind of "hurdles" to be overcome so you get the prize.[/quote]
Sadly, so many people see confirmation (particularly when it's in HS) as a religious "graduation." Ta-da! You're all done. :( I prefer it a little younger so that the child is still under the care and guidence of his/her parents for a little bit longer.

[quote name='Groo the Wanderer' post='1884015' date='Jun 5 2009, 09:52 AM']Lest we forget, many of the Eastern Rites administer Confirmation/Chrismation at the same time as Baptism, along with First Communion.[/quote]

Yeah, I was going to say that, too.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1883955' date='Jun 5 2009, 07:37 AM']I would infer from this and from the fact that Confirmation has historically been administered before First Holy Communion in most cases (as well as from what I've read about Confirmation before the liturgical reforms) that Confirmation was usually received by those around the age of reason.[/quote] First Communion used to be about age 12.

CatherineM

I've been a catechist over 20 years, and discussed this topic practically to death in both undergrad and grad Sacraments classes, and I still don't have a good answer. I don't remember my first communion or first confession, but do remember my confirmation at age 14. That may just be a product of my brain injury though. My personal preference is 11-12, I think. Ask me tomorrow, and I'll probably change my mind again.

homeschoolmom

Ideally, the sacraments would not be set up "assembly-line" fashion... Second grade? Reconcilliation followed in the spring by Communion... Tenth grade? Time for confirmation. Humans are not made of cookie dough.

Wouldn't it be fabulous if each set of parents knew their child and talked to him and taught him... and when they thought he was ready, they would speak to their priest about confirmation? It might be nine... or 12... or 15. But it would require more effort on the part of the parents and them having a willingness to be "different."

LouisvilleFan

The Eastern folks baptize, confirm, and communicate 'em right out da womb. Jesus said, "Do not give the devil a foothold," and they ain't gonna mess around. :)

princessgianna

[quote name='goldenchild17' post='1883950' date='Jun 5 2009, 04:32 AM']I think it just depends on the quality of preparation. Every one in my Church is confirmed at or around 9 or 10 years old and so far the rate of retention is quite high.[/quote]
Like I said before if the children were properly taught-I would not see it as such an issue.

princessgianna

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1884145' date='Jun 5 2009, 11:29 AM']Wouldn't it be fabulous if each set of parents knew their child and talked to him and taught him... and when they thought he was ready, they would speak to their priest about confirmation? It might be nine... or 12... or 15. But it would require more effort on the part of the parents and them having a willingness to be "different."[/quote]
That's the problem-the parents either don't care or they don't know themselves cause they were never taught. And here the Church has this rapid domino effect.

However I am told over and over again from my parents that Church is getting better and better. :pope:

loveletslive

in my diocese we are confirmed as a sophomore in high school. i think junior or senior year would be more appropriate. i got confirmed with around 50 kids. i only saw maybe 10 of them ever at Mass after that.

loveletslive

[quote name='princessgianna' post='1883935' date='Jun 5 2009, 03:32 AM']One would hope. Though sadly that is not the case.

I personally knew some of the children. The one little boy when I asked if he knew the 7 gifts of the Holt Spirit replied with "Love,Charity,hope, peace...." you get the picture how off he was! This was last Sunday. I highly doubt that between then and yesterday he learned it.[/quote]

i'm willing to bet the majority of adult Catholics don't know the 7 gifts of the holy spirit. i can't even name every single one of the top of my head. there are too many lists of things in the Catholic church and i could have cared less in sunday school.

I was confirmed in the fall of my freshman year, at 14. I don't see any of them anymore. Every once in a while one of my friends will go to Mass with her Mom, and my best friend comes with me on Christmas and Easter, but that's it. :(

I think a lot of it has to do with the parents not setting a good example, honestly. If Mom and Dad don't live it out, and treat it as just something to do because "everyone does it," why should I care?

[quote name='princessgianna' post='1883915' date='Jun 5 2009, 12:42 AM']I know what Canon Law says but shouldn't this be a mature decision made from the person that is getting confirmed?[/quote]
The mystery of Chrismation must not be confused with a "rite of passage" into adulthood.

In the Eastern Christian tradition babies are chrismated (confirmed) during the same ceremony in which they are baptized.

Quantum_Entity

I really don't think confirmation is something that should be determined by age. That's a cut and dry approach for a very deep and serious spiritual matter.

I wasn't confirmed until 21, I think. But then, I did leave the church for almost 10 years, too. So, that kind of threw things off. I remember being in my confirmation classes and seeing how immature many of the kids were.

That was one of the final things that drove me away from the church and into atheism/agnosticism (not sure what I was) even at that age. I just couldn't believe that these kids were being allowed to take on such a great spiritual responsibility when they were still acting up, yelling, swearing, and acting like...um...I can't think of a nice word...jerks?

I also couldn't believe that these kids were going to represent the Church. That didn't bode well with me. And then there are those that get confirmed and still act like jerks and don't take their faith seriously. If you don't take your faith seriously or even believe in your religion, then don't get confirmed. Ugh...it's complicated.

I think the age of confirmation should be somewhere between 16 and 60. It would be nice if there was some sort of a test or an interview that those who were going to be confirmed had to take. It isn't a light matter.

[quote name='Quantum_Entity' post='1884515' date='Jun 5 2009, 09:08 PM']I just couldn't believe that these kids were being allowed to take on such a great spiritual responsibility when they were still acting up, yelling, swearing, and acting like...um...I can't think of a nice word...jerks?[/quote]

I'm more concerned about those who are violating the 6th Commandment every weekend.

:mellow:

(Not that the Sacraments should be denied to those who are earnestly struggling to overcome their sins and go to Confession whenever they fall.)

Edited by Resurrexi

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1884582' date='Jun 5 2009, 08:24 PM']I'm more concerned about those who are violating the 6th Commandment every weekend.[/quote]
Some of them could be the same people. I feel much the same as Quantum Entity; I was less than impressed with the behavior of my cabinmates on our Confirmation retreat. Swearing, evaluating the "hottest girls" in the class, dissing the instructors...That was probably the chief cause of my hedging when the Archbishop interrogated me about everyone's readiness for Confirmation.