An Old School Catholic Message Board

Confirmation Age?

princessgianna

princessgianna

I was recently a sponsor at a confirmation. This took place at an oratory. It was a Latin Mass-it was very cool!

My concern was some of the young ages of the children that were getting confirmed. Some of the children I knew personally and their immature level of lack of understanding was bothersome. I wonder at the third grade- do they really understand what they are doing. Granted that at baptism -they had no clue yet that is different because it was then they became children of God under their parents actions and began their spiritual journey.Then at Confirmation the person would take it upon them self to continue being a child of God.

I am no Church scholar but I really would like to understand this.

Thank you
Princessgianna

"The Sacrament of Confirmation is to be conferred on the faithful at about the age of discretion unless the conference of bishops has determined another age, or there is danger of death, or in the judgment of the minister a grave cause suggests otherwise." (Code of Canon Law 891)

The age of discretion is generally reckoned to be around seven years of age for most. :)

princessgianna

I know what Canon Law says but shouldn't this be a mature decision made from the person that is getting confirmed?

Does this mean that they should get married at this age?

We receive Penance and Holy Communion for the first time around the age of discretion.

Edited by Resurrexi

princessgianna

Yes I did too! My only point is more than half (if not all) these children didn't understand confirmation. It seem to be more of a routine of their parents placing them in front of the bishop. I suppose if the children were truly taught -I wouldn't see the issue.

Couldn't it also be argued that some first Communicants don't understand the Sacrament which they are about to receive (though in a certain sense, of course, the Sacrament of the Altar is incomprehensible to everyone)?

Edited by Resurrexi

princessgianna

You do have a point. But then that may be my core argument is children are not being taught fully on core Catholic Doctrines ('Cept you -You know WAY too much :P ). Then everyone wonders why they are leaving! And find Mass boring! And so forth.

I would think that the children will learn more about the Faith as they get older. :)

Edited by Resurrexi

princessgianna

Where on earth do you live??? :shock: Yea idealistically! :rolleyes:

Obviously when a young child makes her First Communion -she won't know every last little thing -that's understandable, HOWEVER she should know and understand the basics. And where I come from that is not the case. Pretty much after confirmation -there is this false idea that since you were confirmed your spiritual education can come to stop. Though your preparation for confirmation was hardly bare basics. People are not being educated strongly in the faith then they go and with little thought get confirmed. I find this a strong problem!

Edited by princessgianna

You said that this was at an extraordinary form oratory. Those who hear Mass celebrated according to the older Missal tend to be fairly zealous in the education of their children in the Catholic Faith. ;)

Edited by Resurrexi

princessgianna

One would hope. Though sadly that is not the case.

I personally knew some of the children. The one little boy when I asked if he knew the 7 gifts of the Holt Spirit replied with "Love,Charity,hope, peace...." you get the picture how off he was! This was last Sunday. I highly doubt that between then and yesterday he learned it.

I am really enjoying this discussion though I am really tired!
So I think I am going to call it a night for now anyway! :)

じゃまた
:blowkiss:
Princessgianna

Edited by princessgianna

goldenchild17

I think it just depends on the quality of preparation. Every one in my Church is confirmed at or around 9 or 10 years old and so far the rate of retention is quite high.

This is probably just me, but I tend to see many of the sacraments as levels of protection against sin.

Baptism being the first defense against original sin. When a child reaches the age of reason they can start making decisions (bad or good) on their own and need more help in their fight against temptation. This is when they receive their First Holy Eucharist. Then kids start going through more mature growth and start seeing things in a more grown up way and develop new temptations. Often these things can start at around 9-10 I think and that's when (at least it used to be) the sacrament of Confirmation is implemented.

Personally, I approve of Confirmation for younger people, though I think the preparation should be improved in many places. I think a lot of the impure desires cropping up among younger Catholics can be attributed to a later Confirmation. It's not a magic pill, but I think administering the graces of Confirmation at a younger age overall can give enough grace to some children to prevent them from ever going too far down that road.

Edited by goldenchild17

Archaeology cat

[quote name='goldenchild17' post='1883950' date='Jun 5 2009, 10:32 AM']I think it just depends on the quality of preparation. Every one in my Church is confirmed at or around 9 or 10 years old and so far the rate of retention is quite high.[/quote]
:yes: We're having the kids coming for their First Holy Communion now, spread out over a few weeks, and each week I pray that they will continue to come. All too often, they come for their First Holy Communion, and then we don't see them or their families again. :ohno: Right now they have First Holy Communion around age 7/8, and I don't know what age Confirmation is here. In a couple of years it'll change anyway, since they're switching the order of those two, at least here they are doing that.

Some people start off with an incorrect premise. That the sacraments are soem kind of "hurdles" to be overcome so you get the prize.

If we only administered the sacraments to those who were intellectually able to understand them then what about infant baptism, eucharist and first confession at 7. Anointing the sick and elderly who have senility?

In the case of confirmation the sacrament confirms the baptism. You may have many meanings attached to the sacrament but these are by way of explanation.

Confirmation is the completion of baptismal grace. (CCC 1285, 1316)

CCC 1308 Although Confirmation is sometimes called the "sacrament of Christian maturity," we must not confuse adult faith with the adult age of natural growth, nor forget that the baptismal grace is a grace of free, unmerited election and does not need "ratification" to become effective. St. Thomas reminds us of this:

Age of body does not determine age of soul. Even in childhood man can attain spiritual maturity: as the book of Wisdom says: "For old age is not honored for length of time, or measured by number of years. "Many children, through the strength of the Holy Spirit they have received, have bravely fought for Christ even to the shedding of their blood.

[quote name='goldenchild17' post='1883950' date='Jun 5 2009, 05:32 AM']Often these things can start at around 9-10 I think and that's when (at least it used to be) the sacrament of Confirmation is implemented.[/quote]

"Licet sacramenti confirmationis administratio convenienter in Ecclesia Latina differatur ad septimum circiter aetatis annum, nihilominus etiam antea conferri potest, si infans in mortis periculo sit constitutus, vel ministro id expedire ob iustas et graves causas videatur." ([url="http://www.jgray.org/codes/cic17lat.html"]Can. 788 of the 1917 Code of Canon Law[/url])

My translation:
"Although the administration of the sacrament of confirmation is suitably postponed to around seven years of age in the Latin Church, nonetheless it also can be conferred before then, if the infant be placed in danger of death, or it seem expedient to the minister on account of just and grave causes."

I would infer from this and from the fact that Confirmation has historically been administered before First Holy Communion in most cases (as well as from what I've read about Confirmation before the liturgical reforms) that Confirmation was usually received by those around the age of reason.

Edited by Resurrexi