An Old School Catholic Message Board

Oprah

MC IMaGiNaZUN

MC IMaGiNaZUN

So like, in the minds of many people, Oprah is God, or infallible, or the empress of the cosmos.

Newsweek printed an article that I found interesting.

what do you all think

[url="http://www.newsweek.com/id/200025/page/1"]Newsweek on Oprah[/url]

CatherineM

60 vitamins would fill me up so much, that I wouldn't eat anything else.

I think about Oprah, that she has been the center of the universe for so long, that she has truly begun to believe her own PR.

Unfortunately Oprah has the money to broadcast her particular brand of crazy, and that of her friends.

I used to think of vitamins as being harmless, but when I recently had surgery I learned one supplement I was taking can cause blood to thin. This can be an issue during and after surgery, as I discovered. I have a renewed respect for those sorts of things these days. Body chemistry is a delicate thing, and messing with it can lead to big problems.

[quote]Oprah routinely grabs viewers with the sort of tales of the strange and absurd that might be found a few clicks over on Maury Povich or Jerry Springer: women who leave their husbands for other women (another recent Oprah episode); a 900-pound mom (ditto). But there is a difference. Oprah makes her audience feel virtuous for gaping at the misfortunes of others. What would be sniffed at as seamy on Maury is somehow praised as anthropology on Oprah. This is Oprah's special brilliance. She is a gifted entertainer, but she makes it seem as though that is beside the point. Oprah is not here to amuse you, she is here to help you. To help you understand your feelings; drop those unwanted pounds; look and feel younger; get your thyroid under control; to smooth your thighs, nip and tuck your wrinkles, awaken your senses and achieve spiritual tranquillity so that you can at last be free to "Live Your Best Life."[/quote]
this is why i don't watch her

eagle_eye222001

Oprah is a religion in of itself. An offshoot of modern feel-good-empowerism.

----------------
Now playing: [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/artist/breaking+benjamin/track/had+enough"]Breaking Benjamin - Had Enough[/url]
via [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/signatunes/"]FoxyTunes[/url]

RemnantRules

did you see how much plastic surgery Somers has done? All those pills and injections can't help the inevedible time to keep marching on.

I watched that 1 min video clip of Somers saying how if women loose their sex drive then their husbands will divorce them. I'm sorry, but in my marriage sex isn't the end all be all last time I checked.

Now the hordes will go and get her book b/c it got the O seal of approval. Too bad Dr. Oz wasn't on their to refute these claims like he did with Stem Cell Research. That's probably why Oprah had all the Drs. in the audience sitting away from the stage.

[quote name='RemnantRules' post='1882936' date='Jun 4 2009, 10:30 AM']did you see how much plastic surgery Somers has done? All those pills and injections can't help the inevedible time to keep marching on.[/quote]

Yeah that was just creepy and kind of pathetic.

CatherineM

My mom was a beautician when she was younger, and did it at home part time after all us kids came along. Someone asked her once why she didn't cover her gray since she had all the stuff right there in her "beauty shop" on the back porch. She said she had earned every gray hair (and boy did she with us), so why would she cover it up. Compare Suzanne Sommers to older women who just lived cleaner lives. Jane Goodall, Carol Channing, and who wouldn't want Tina Turner's legs?

RemnantRules

I don't care if people want to change themselves with hair color or even plastic surgery, that's for them, it isn't for me, b/c I don't care what I look like now since I will hopefully will get my glorified body later :saint: . But anyways, what I don't like is when she's saying she feels and "looks" great b/c of all these regiments she's taking, when she clearly is getting a surgical helping hand.

Edited by RemnantRules

CatherineM

[quote name='RemnantRules' post='1882984' date='Jun 4 2009, 11:03 AM']I don't care if people want to change themselves with hair color or even plastic surgery, that's for them, it isn't for me, b/c I don't care what I look like now since I will hopefully will get my glorified body later :saint: . But anyways, what I don't like is when she's saying she feels and "looks" great b/c of all these regiments she's taking, when she clearly is getting a surgical helping hand.[/quote]

As many surgeries as I have had, I can't imagine going under the knife just to look better.

Oprah is awesome. I was discussing with someone that she and Chuck Norris should seriously get together and have a kid and name him Choprah. That kid would be so totally awesome.

Winchester

[quote name='picchick' post='1883733' date='Jun 4 2009, 11:38 PM']Oprah is awesome. I was discussing with someone that she and Chuck Norris should seriously get together and have a kid and name him Choprah. That kid would be so totally awesome.[/quote]
You're insane.