An Old School Catholic Message Board

Late Term Abortion Provider

dairygirl4u2c

64 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1879374' date='May 31 2009, 05:24 PM']Those are all examples of taking a life while supporting life...

I never said that they did meet the scenario.[/quote]

Gotchya, my apologies. Misread what you said.

Winchester

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' post='1879372' date='May 31 2009, 04:23 PM']How about right authority?[/quote]
What's the origin of authority?

[quote name='Winchester' post='1879381' date='May 31 2009, 02:26 PM'][s]What's[/s] Who is the origin of authority?[/quote]
+J.M.J.+
God.

[quote name='Winchester' post='1879381' date='May 31 2009, 04:26 PM']What's the origin of authority?[/quote]

"Jesus answered: Thou shouldst not have any power against me, unless it were given thee from above." (John 19:11)

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' post='1879377' date='May 31 2009, 03:25 PM']This was not just "probably morally wrong", it absolutely is wrong. There is absolutely no justification for the late term abortion provider to be killed.[/quote]
As we have mentioned previously of course, we cal objectively call this a wrong action and grave matter, but we can't say that it was a mortal sin.
I know that's not what you said, but I wanted to clarify. :)

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1879379' date='May 31 2009, 05:25 PM']+J.M.J.+
even if he is killing 60000+ children a year?[/quote]

Even if he is killing 60000+ children a year.

Does his death stop a lot of other deaths? Yes.

But it doesn't justify the action. Killing is wrong, except in cases of self-defense. Perhaps an argument could be made that the murderer was defending others... but he still does not meet requirements of right authority-- who is he to choose to take this doctor's life? Nor was the doctor in the very act of performing a late term abortion, which means there was not an immediate threat.

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1879387' date='May 31 2009, 05:30 PM']As we have mentioned previously of course, we cal objectively call this a wrong action and grave matter, but we can't say that it was a mortal sin.
I know that's not what you said, but I wanted to clarify. :)[/quote]

The action is objectively and always immoral.

Whether or not the killer is morally culpable is a different question, a much more complex question, which I leave to the hands of God.

We must remember that it is also permissible to kill to defend the life of another.

If a person were in the process of murdering another, it would be permissible to use lethal force to prevent the murder if lethal force were necessary.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' post='1879401' date='May 31 2009, 03:34 PM']The action is objectively and always immoral.

Whether or not the killer is morally culpable is a different question, a much more complex question, which I leave to the hands of God.[/quote]
:yes:

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1879412' date='May 31 2009, 05:38 PM']We must remember that it is also permissible to kill to defend the life of another.

If a person were in the process of murdering another, it would be permissible to use lethal force to prevent the murder if lethal force were necessary.[/quote]

Right. "Other or self-defense." The intention would be to stop the wrong action, currently being done, with the least amount of force possible (which is sometimes lethal force). The death of the original offender is a side consequence accepted.

In my opinion, I don't think we should be scrupulous about using lethal force in self-defense or defense of others. If someone has a knife and is about to stab your friend and you have a gun, you only have a few seconds.Aim for the abdomen, where you have an actual chance of shooting him and thus saving your friend. That is, unless your Atticus, the deadliest shot in Maycomb, in which case, you could probably just shoot him in the arm or leg.

Edited by Resurrexi

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1879425' date='May 31 2009, 05:44 PM']In my opinion, I don't think we should be scrupulous about using lethal force in self-defense or defense of others. If someone has a knife and is about to stab your friend and you have a gun, you only have a few seconds.Aim for the abdomen, where you have an actual chance of shooting him and thus saving your friend.[/quote]

I agree. But, in other situations, when there is the opportunity to stop the wrong action without the use of the lethal force, we should take it.

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' post='1879431' date='May 31 2009, 04:47 PM']I agree. But, in other situations, when there is the opportunity to stop the wrong action without the use of the lethal force, we should take it.[/quote]

This is true.

I can't believe that people would defend the murder of this abortionist. Of course it's unjustifiable. That is morality 101.

I'm pretty sure DairyGirl is the only one who has done so thus far... and as we all know, she didn't pay attention in Christian Morality class in high school ;)