An Old School Catholic Message Board

George Tiller Shot To Death At Wichita Church

isilzha

[quote name='Brother Adam' post='1879275' date='May 31 2009, 02:33 PM']Okay, I use grave and mortal interchangeably. Bad habit. It is without a doubt grave matter.[/quote]

I have moral theology books that do the same... so it can't be too big a deal.

Edited by Resurrexi

KnightofChrist

A murderer has been murdered. Live by the sword and you shall likely die by it.

Winchester

[quote name='Brother Adam' post='1879275' date='May 31 2009, 02:33 PM']Yes, and walking into a church and gunning someone down qualifies as murder, likely premeditated. I just honestly can't imagine this story turning into a case of self-defense in a church where Tiller is the aggressor. If it does fine, I take it back.[/quote]
Could have been defense of another. Could have been motivated by any number of things, including derangement that would remove culpability or make the action moral. There's a good chance the doctor wasn't morally culpable for killing children. Of course, we don't really consider them children.

TotusTuusMaria

this is terrible. :ohno:

How sad!

God forgive the person who did this and have mercy upon Tiller's soul.

Brother Adam

[quote name='Winchester' post='1879280' date='May 31 2009, 03:37 PM']Could have been defense of another. Could have been motivated by any number of things, including derangement that would remove culpability or make the action moral. There's a good chance the doctor wasn't morally culpable for killing children. Of course, we don't really consider them children.[/quote]

In the middle of a church service? It's not likely. I mean, if the man does perform abortions during the Lutheran liturgy, fine, but I think you are grasping for straws.

What makes you think Dr. Tiller is not culpable for killing children?

Norseman82

[quote name='Winchester' post='1879273' date='May 31 2009, 02:30 PM']It's a mortal sin to [i]murder [/i]someone.

We simply don't believe unborn children are equal to born children--I have the guts to admit it. And that, among other things, makes me wonder about my soul.[/quote]

Winchester,

I have yet to meet a priest who defends the practice of murdering abortionists. Even the Opus Dei priests that I've heard speak on the topic have said it is wrong.

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1879257' date='May 31 2009, 02:17 PM']Not only was the action of whoever shot him immoral, it was also counterproductive and lacking prudence. Tiller will now be hailed by pro-aborts as a martyr.[/quote]

Your analysis is correct, and I have an even greater fear that with Obama in office we will see a fresh round of restrictions imposed against pro-lifers. And for all we know, this could have been done by the pro-abort crowd just like the Reichstag fire in 1933 was set by the Nazis to justify a new round of repressive laws.

Edited by Norseman82

Sources have told KAKE News that Wichita abortion doctor George Tiller was shot and killed this morning at his church. Sedgwick County dispatchers confirm that a suspect has been caught near Gardner, KS, on I-35.

[url="http://www.kake.com/"]http://www.kake.com/[/url]

CatherineM

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1879331' date='May 31 2009, 02:44 PM']Cases like this only hurt our pro life movement. :([/quote]

Yeah, your are right about that.

This could have been a disgruntled ex-husband of someone who had an abortion, it could be someone whose wife was scheduled for tomorrow, or someone that got malpracticed on, it could have been someone in the midst of a psychotic episode thinking he was an avenging angel. My point is that we don't know yet enough about what went on to make judgments.

puellapaschalis

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1879257' date='May 31 2009, 08:17 PM']Not only was the action of whoever shot him immoral, it was also counterproductive and lacking prudence. Tiller will now be hailed by pro-aborts as a martyr.[/quote]

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1879331' date='May 31 2009, 09:44 PM']Cases like this only hurt our pro life movement. :([/quote]

I fear this is true.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1879343' date='May 31 2009, 02:55 PM']Yeah, your are right about that.

This could have been a disgruntled ex-husband of someone who had an abortion, it could be someone whose wife was scheduled for tomorrow, or someone that got malpracticed on, it could have been someone in the midst of a psychotic episode thinking he was an avenging angel. My point is that we don't know yet enough about what went on to make judgments.[/quote]
Absolutely. I'm certainly not going to make judgements about culpability, etc. All I know is that next time there's a pro life debate going on, this case is going to be brought up and take the whole discussion on a worthless tangent.

[quote name='Winchester' post='1879280' date='May 31 2009, 12:37 PM']Of course, we don't really consider them children.[/quote]
+J.M.J.+
huh?

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1879343' date='May 31 2009, 04:55 PM']Yeah, your are right about that.

This could have been a disgruntled ex-husband of someone who had an abortion, it could be someone whose wife was scheduled for tomorrow, or someone that got malpracticed on, it could have been someone in the midst of a psychotic episode thinking he was an avenging angel. My point is that we don't know yet enough about what went on to make judgments.[/quote]

Or it could be something entirely unrelated to the abortion issue... unfortunately death is the solution to a lot of issues like money problems, infidelity etc. in many people's minds :sadder:

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1879351' date='May 31 2009, 02:59 PM']+J.M.J.+
huh?[/quote]
Seconded.