An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Creed

Resurrexi

26 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1894529' date='Jun 17 2009, 03:32 PM']I doubt that the issue will be addressed any time soon, since the Latin Church has much worse problems.[/quote]
Yes, the Roman Church should busy itself by trying to recover its own lost customs, instead of trying to force its now defunct customs on other self-governing Churches.

[quote name='Apotheoun' post='1894563' date='Jun 17 2009, 05:51 PM']Yes, the Roman Church should busy itself by trying to recover its own lost customs, instead of trying to force its now defunct customs on other self-governing Churches.[/quote]

The dogmas which the sacrosanct general and ecumenical Tridentine Synod defined are not "defunct customs".

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1894566' date='Jun 17 2009, 03:53 PM']The dogmas which the sacrosanct general and ecumenical Tridentine Synod defined are not "defunct customs".[/quote]
Our little dispute disproves your assertion.

Most of those who belong to one of the sui iuris Churches do, in fact, accept Trent as Ecumenical and do accept all the dogmas which it defined.

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1894566' date='Jun 17 2009, 03:53 PM']The dogmas which the sacrosanct general and ecumenical Tridentine Synod defined are not "defunct customs".[/quote]
Whenever I have taught catechism classes at my Church I have used the catechetical materials supplied by the local eparchy, and approved by the Holy Synod, and the ending tests for the various grade levels are readily available on the Melkite website, which openly states that there have been only seven ecumenical councils.

[quote name='Apotheoun' post='1894577' date='Jun 17 2009, 05:58 PM']Whenever I have taught catechism classes at my Church I have used the catechetical materials supplied by the local eparchy, and approved by the Holy Synod, and the ending tests for the various grade levels are readily available on the Melkite website, which openly states that there have been only seven ecumenical councils.[/quote]

Why on earth would anyone put the test online? That's a great way to assure that everyone gets a perfect score, I guess. ;)

I am just glad that most of the Patriarchs and Major Archbishops of the sui iuris Eastern Churches accept Florence, Trent, Vatican I, Vatican II, etc.

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1894597' date='Jun 17 2009, 04:10 PM']Why on earth would anyone put the test online? That's a great way to assure that everyone gets a perfect score, I guess. ;)[/quote]
Probably to save money. Unlike the rich Roman diocese, our eparchies do not have a lot of money.

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1894597' date='Jun 17 2009, 04:10 PM']I am just glad that most of the Patriarchs and Major Archbishops of the sui iuris Eastern Churches accept Florence, Trent, Vatican I, Vatican II, etc.[/quote]
Exactly how many Eastern Catholic Churches have "major Archbishops"?

Have you read anything written by Lubomyr Husar, the head of the UGCC? He may not be as outspoken as the Melkite Patriarch, but he has said that Ukrainian Catholics have the same faith as the Ukrainian Orthodox, and has insisted that Ukrainian Catholics do not have to accept Latin theological formulations.

[quote name='Apotheoun' post='1894605' date='Jun 17 2009, 06:18 PM']Probably to save money. Unlike the rich Roman diocese, our eparchies do not have a lot of money.

Exactly how many Eastern Catholic Churches have "major Archbishops"?[/quote]

The Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church, the Romanian Church United with Rome, the Syro-Malabar Church, and the Syro-Malankara Catholic Church have major archbishops.

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1894623' date='Jun 17 2009, 04:30 PM']The Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church, the Romanian Church United with Rome, the Syro-Malabar Church, and the Syro-Malankara Catholic Church have major archbishops.[/quote]
And in Eastern ecclesiology what exactly is a Major Archbishop, and is there even such a designation in our tradition?

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1894655' date='Jun 17 2009, 04:53 PM']He is the leader of his sui iuris Church.[/quote]
You failed to answer my other question, but the fact that historically speaking there is no such thing in the Eastern tradition as a major archbishop is a quirky situation that Ukrainians are not happy with.

I guess the major archbishop of the UGCC will have to talk to the Pope about that on his next [i]ad limina[/i] visit to Rome.

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1894661' date='Jun 17 2009, 04:59 PM']I guess the major archbishop of the UGCC will have to talk to the Pope about that on his next [i]ad limina[/i] visit to Rome.[/quote]
Actually all my UGCC friends call Lubomyr Husar "patriarch" and they seem indifferent to what Rome says or thinks about the issue.