An Old School Catholic Message Board

Why Be Religious When Your Young?

Oliver

[quote name='Brother Vinny' post='1874879' date='May 25 2009, 01:09 PM']Not sure to which science you refer. :unsure:[/quote]
In Medieval Europe, all Asian peoples were thought of as descendants of Shem. By the nineteenth century, the term Semitic was confined to the ethnic groups who have historically spoken Semitic languages. These peoples were often considered to be a distinct race. However, some anti-Semitic racial theorists of the time argued that the Semitic peoples arose from the blurring of distinctions between previously separate races. This supposed process was referred to as Semiticization by the race-theorist Arthur de Gobineau. The notion that Semitic identity was a product of racial "confusion" was later taken up by the Nazi ideologue Alfred Rosenberg.[citation needed]

Modern science, in contrast, identifies a population's common physical descent through genetic research, and analysis of the Semitic-speaking peoples suggests that they have some common ancestry. Though no significant common mitochondrial results have been yielded, Y-chromosomal links between Semitic-speaking Near-Eastern peoples like Arabs, Assyrians and Jews have proved fruitful, despite differences contributed from other groups (see Y-chromosomal Aaron). Although population genetics is still a young science, it seems to indicate that a significant proportion of these peoples' ancestry comes from a common Near Eastern population to which (despite the differences with the Biblical genealogy) the term "Semitic" has been applied. However, this correlation should rather be attributed to said common Near Eastern origin, as for example Semitic-speaking Near Easterners from the Fertile Crescent (including Jews) are generally more closely related to non-Semitic speaking Near Easterners, such as Iranians, Anatolians, and Caucasians, than to other Semitic-speakers, such as Gulf Arabs, Ethiopian Semites, and North African Arabs.[7][8][9]
[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semitic#Religion"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semitic#Religion[/url]

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1874900' date='May 25 2009, 02:22 PM']Because wikipedia is such a great source of information :rolleyes:[/quote]

It's not, but it what it says is pretty common knowledge as far as I know and put it pretty clearly

Careful with wiki, That is edited constantly by normal people to mega corporations changing everything and what is said about the church

Well, I would say semitic can mean several different things.

Historically, it would be correct to refer to Asians as semitic since the majority of the people in Asia are descended from Sem, the son of Noe (those are the spellings in the Vulgate and Douay-Rheims, if anyone was wondering :P ).

Linguistically speaking, semitic refers to a certain group of languages in the Middle East.

[quote name='Callidius' post='1874908' date='May 25 2009, 01:28 PM']Careful with wiki, That is edited constantly by normal people to mega corporations changing everything and what is said about the church[/quote]

That's true, in this case, however, I just posted it because it gave a clear explination of what I was refering too. If he wanted another source he could find one pretty quickly.

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1874910' date='May 25 2009, 01:29 PM']Well, I would say semitic can mean several different things.

Historically, it would be correct to refer to Asians as semitic since the majority of the people in Asia are descended from Sem, the son of Noe (those are the spellings in the Vulgate and Douay-Rheims, if anyone was wondering :P ).

Linguistically speaking, semitic refers to a certain group of languages in the Middle East.[/quote]

That is a religious belief and your are naturally free to hold it. I'm not sure how many Anthropoligists would agree with that claim.

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1874922' date='May 25 2009, 02:35 PM']If I recall correctly, Aloysius is studying anthropology.[/quote]

I believe that is correct.

Let's ask him how many anthropological texts list the son of Noah as the origin of the semetic peoples :detective:

Edited by Hassan

TotusTuusMaria

[quote name='Oliver' post='1874534' date='May 24 2009, 08:39 PM']This is a question my sister asked me. Why be religious when your young? Why cant I enjoy myself now and then be religious when im much older?[/quote]

Because they have encountered Christ.

Because true happiness and enjoyment comes from Christ. Partying and drinking and having sex (which is what young people consider "enjoying themselves and having fun") is not fun and after the literal [i]moment [/i]of pleasure one is left unhappy and dissatisfied, searching after some type of living water only to come up with more "broken cisterns."

The living water is Christ and a relationship with Him leaves you fulfilled and at peace. He is true joy. And the wise person, young or old, upon realizing this does not wait for years to start drinking. He starts asap. That is why the young ones, who realize this, become "religious" ... to drink of the living water, Christ, which brings true enjoyment and "fun".

"To live without faith, without a patrimony to defend, without a steady struggle for truth, that is not living but existing......Because true happiness, dear friends, does not consist in the pleasures of the world or in earthly things, but in peace of conscience, which we have only if we are pure in heart and mind." - Bl. Pier Giorgio Frassati

[quote]I really think this is what the majority of my generation think. What if they sin now and forgive in later life while others have prayed there whole lives. I will be honest I didnt have an answer for her.[/quote]

1) No one should ever take their life for granted. Life is short, and I have seen too many relatives and friends die before or closely after they have reached their twentith year to go throughout my youth chasing after the next "fix" which, in reality, never fixes anything but leaves me lonely, unhappy, and miserable with myself. In the great span of things there really is no time to waste, and it is no good to put so much weight on the idea that you will be offered the chance to "become religious later." Reality is: very, very few are.

2) Is not about death. We don't become religious because we fear death. We become "religious" because we fall in love with Christ. After encountering Him... how can one wait to do that?

Edited by TotusTuusMaria

TotusTuusMaria

[quote name='Era Might' post='1874578' date='May 24 2009, 09:52 PM']The question assumes that a person can "enjoy" life apart from God. As St. Augustine said, our hearts are restless until they rest in God. Serving God has nothing to do with age. We were created to love and serve God. If we are not living a life of holiness, then we are dead.[/quote]

:yes:

TotusTuusMaria

[quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1874639' date='May 24 2009, 11:22 PM']Remember the Parable of the Ten Virgins? Five where wise and where prepared from the beginning. The other five where foolish, and only at the end began to prepare for Christ. While they where buying their oil, Christ came and took the five wise virgins, and the five foolish virgins where left in utter darkness.[/quote]

This came to my mind too.

[quote]Youth always believes it is immortal. It always at sometime or another has its rude awakening.[/quote]

So true. I have seen this so much. Just last year four of my male cousins all died before the age of 19. I honestly think only two of them were perhaps prepared...

[quote name='Hassan' post='1874866' date='May 25 2009, 12:51 PM']Anti Semite <_<

:mellow:[/quote]
That's my line, Donny.