An Old School Catholic Message Board

Why Be Religious When Your Young?

Oliver

This is a question my sister asked me. Why be religious when your young? Why cant I enjoy myself now and then be religious when im much older?

I really think this is what the majority of my generation think. What if they sin now and forgive in later life while others have prayed there whole lives. I will be honest I didnt have an answer for her.

Nihil Obstat

Cuts down on time in Purgatory. ;)

Tell your sister to enjoy herself proving beyond any doubt that she's going to actually grow much older. I wouldn't take that chance, personally.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Oliver' post='1874534' date='May 24 2009, 08:39 PM']This is a question my sister asked me. Why be religious when your young? Why cant I enjoy myself now and then be religious when im much older?

I really think this is what the majority of my generation think. What if they sin now and forgive in later life while others have prayed there whole lives. I will be honest I didnt have an answer for her.[/quote]
Well, one obvious answer is that we never know when our lives will end and maybe we won't get the chance to be old. Wouldn't it be a shame to have to tell the Lord that you always intended to love Him, but never got around to it.

A better answer, I think, is that we should not live our lives with the idea that "one day" I will give reverence, respect and worship to the One who created me. Rather, we should live EVERY day in awe of God-- giving Him what is due Him.

CatherineM

My youngest foster son had that idea. When I was finally allowed to do some religious education with him, and he found out that baptism washed you clean, he decided to put it off as long as possible so he could sin all he wanted now. I think I still have a dent in my forehead from banging my head against the wall about that one.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1874550' date='May 24 2009, 08:14 PM']My youngest foster son had that idea. When I was finally allowed to do some religious education with him, and he found out that baptism washed you clean, he decided to put it off as long as possible so he could sin all he wanted now. I think I still have a dent in my forehead from banging my head against the wall about that one.[/quote]
Isn't that what Constantine did? ;) Lol.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1874551' date='May 24 2009, 09:15 PM']Isn't that what Constantine did? ;) Lol.[/quote]
I was thinking the same thing....

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Oliver' post='1874534' date='May 24 2009, 09:39 PM']This is a question my sister asked me. Why be religious when your young? Why cant I enjoy myself now and then be religious when im much older?

I really think this is what the majority of my generation think. What if they sin now and forgive in later life while others have prayed there whole lives. I will be honest I didnt have an answer for her.[/quote]
because you might not ever make it to "old". Just buried a 26 yr old a month ago, its always later than you think.

[quote name='Oliver' post='1874534' date='May 24 2009, 08:39 PM']This is a question my sister asked me. Why be religious when your young? Why cant I enjoy myself now and then be religious when im much older?

The question assumes that a person can "enjoy" life apart from God. As St. Augustine said, our hearts are restless until they rest in God. Serving God has nothing to do with age. We were created to love and serve God. If we are not living a life of holiness, then we are dead.

[quote]Fret not yourself because of the wicked, be not envious of wrongdoers! For they will soon fade like the grass, and wither like the green herb. Trust in the LORD, and do good; so you will dwell in the land, and enjoy security. Take delight in the LORD, and he will give you the desires of your heart.

--Psalm 37:1-4[/quote]

saintwannabe 777

Falling in love with Jesus in your youth is awesome. He is the Man! The God-Man, that is... :lol_roll: :D :))

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Oliver' post='1874534' date='May 24 2009, 07:39 PM']This is a question my sister asked me. Why be religious when your young? Why cant I enjoy myself now and then be religious when im much older?[/quote]

Because God is not a fool. You can not trick God. We can not knowingly sin and sin and sin, and then at the end of the line when we're done having 'fun' jump on the God train. From what I understand the Saints have taught that there is a point in which God will simply not forgive you anymore. God does not like those that mock Him.

Remember the Parable of the Ten Virgins? Five where wise and where prepared from the beginning. The other five where foolish, and only at the end began to prepare for Christ. While they where buying their oil, Christ came and took the five wise virgins, and the five foolish virgins where left in utter darkness.

[quote name='Oliver' post='1874534' date='May 24 2009, 07:39 PM']I really think this is what the majority of my generation think. What if they sin now and forgive in later life while others have prayed there whole lives. I will be honest I didnt have an answer for her.[/quote]

That is what every generation has thought, then they die. Youth always believes it is immortal. It always at sometime or another has its rude awakening.

Norseman82

There can also be disastrous temporal/non-spiritual consequences as well that [b]cannot[/b] be undone just by going to confession. Examples: STDs, out-of-wedlock pregnancies, jail time/criminal records, child support, lost opportunities, etc.

Edited by Norseman82

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='Oliver' post='1874534' date='May 24 2009, 09:39 PM']This is a question my sister asked me. Why be religious when your young? Why cant I enjoy myself now and then be religious when im much older?

A person can be faithful to God and enjoy themselves at the same time. I've seen it happen a few times.

What's the fun in enjoying life without a purpose?

The choices we make when we are young shape who we are going to be in the future, for better or worse. That's not to say that change is impossible (consider St. Augustine, for example) but pleasure always has a price, whether it's paid now or later.