An Old School Catholic Message Board

Should Teeth Get Pulled?

elizabeth09

HisChildForever

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1874160' date='May 23 2009, 11:02 PM']God gave us the intelligence to learn more about our bodies and how to keep them well or heal them. To throw that gift back in his face seems kind of rude.[/quote]

Exactly! God created science and medicine, so why not use it?

RezaMikhaeil

[quote name='HisChildForever' post='1874157' date='May 23 2009, 07:54 PM']I was being sarcastic.[/quote]

Didn't come across like that...

[quote]So the x-rays they showed me of my four wisdom teeth growing in SIDEWAYS - yes, HORIZONTALLY - and pressing against my other teeth were, what, not a problem?[/quote]

Actually I had X-Rays that shows the same thing but as I decided to not fork up the cash to have them removed, they eventually pushed their way through [which the dentist claimed would cause problems, make my teeth crooked, etc] and everything worked itself out fine.

[quote]Yeah, because dentists and other health care professionals love to scare people with these genuine medical concerns. Sort of like "influenza" and "cancer" too.[/quote]

See the problem is that you put all your faith in "medical professionals". As time goes on we're find out that alot of medical practices are wrong. Electro Shock Therapy used to be the standard to treating mental health. Many medications are also being found to be harmful and even fatal.

Don't forget that many "healthcare professionals" also recommend abortions to women, and the list goes on. In regards to Influenza, I'm glad that you mentioned it, because most "health professionals" also recommend the flu vaccine, yet the majority of the public still choses not to get it and many elderly that get it die from it [my wife is a nurse].

[quote]Oh, this settles it then. Because nothing has happened to you (yet), everyone else will be okay.[/quote]

That's not what I said, what I said is that just because your dentist/doctor says, "you need to do this....... or this...... will happen" doesn't mean that their telling you the truth based upon the research or that their correct.

Recently the world of "medical professionals" has endorsed the Guardacil shot for teenage girls, and even younger girls as early as age 9. It claims that it prevents cervical cancer and is being paraded as such. In reality, it only supposedly prevents 1% of all types of cervical cancer and even of that 1%, it's not guarenteed. What are the side affects? Their paralysis, their death and the list goes on. Girls are now required to be laying down while getting the shot [recent development] because of the large number of them that were fainting and suffering a concussion because of it.

[quote]Do some research.[/quote]

Sorry little girl but I have done the research. Maybe before you freak out on those that chose alternative methods, you should get an unbiased and balanced education on both sides of the situation. These proceedures are considered "elective" and "not necessary" in the healthcare field for a reason, which is not true with many proceedures.

Reza

Edited by RezaLemmyng

RezaMikhaeil

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1874160' date='May 23 2009, 08:02 PM']My grandfather died in 1915 of something simple. He thought the doctor just wanted to run up a bill. I'll bet he wished he'd made a different decision. He left a wife and 3 kids under 5. My dad was 6 months old at the time. There's a reason that the life expectancy is 20 years longer now than it was 100 years ago. God gave us the intelligence to learn more about our bodies and how to keep them well or heal them. To throw that gift back in his face seems kind of rude.[/quote]

Your grandfather died from impacted wisdom teeth? Well guess what... in 1915 the proceedure wasn't even available.

[quote name='RezaLemmyng' post='1874163' date='May 24 2009, 12:08 AM']Your grandfather died from impacted wisdom teeth? Well guess what... in 1915 the proceedure wasn't even available.[/quote]

Unfortunately you are quite wrong, as Catherine at no point stated that her grandfather died of impacted wisdom teeth. She just said "something simple".

RezaMikhaeil

[quote name='BG45' post='1874165' date='May 23 2009, 08:18 PM']Unfortunately you are quite wrong, as Catherine at no point stated that her grandfather died of impacted wisdom teeth. She just said "something simple".[/quote]

Wisdom teeth are hardly "something simple", you have to go under to have them removed and according to most healthcare professionals, including those at the state level, its not life threatening, unlike the other thread about cancer, in which state regulations do consider it to be life threatening.

Reza

MissScripture

[quote name='RezaLemmyng' post='1874162' date='May 23 2009, 11:05 PM']Actually I had X-Rays that shows the same thing but as I decided to not fork up the cash to have them removed, they eventually pushed their way through [which the dentist claimed would cause problems, make my teeth crooked, etc] and everything worked itself out fine.

Don't forget that many "healthcare professionals" also recommend abortions to women, and the list goes on. In regards to Influenza, I'm glad that you mentioned it, because most "health professionals" also recommend the flu vaccine, yet the majority of the public still choses not to get it and many elderly that get it die from it [my wife is a nurse].[/quote]
A) Just because it worked out that way for you doesn't mean that it would work out that way for everyone, which is what you seem to be implying.

B) What on EARTH does the fact that people don't get vaccinated and die from influenza have to do with this?

C) Bringing up that your wife is a nurse is completely irrelevant to the conversation. My mom is a nurse. Whoop-de-doo!

[quote name='RezaLemmyng' post='1874166' date='May 23 2009, 11:21 PM']Wisdom teeth are hardly "something simple", you have to go under to have them removed and according to most healthcare professionals, including those at the state level, its not life threatening, unlike the other thread about cancer, in which state regulations do consider it to be life threatening.

Reza[/quote]
:rolleyes:
For supposedly having done so much research, you seem to not know what you're talking about. You do NOT have to go under to have wisdom teeth removed. I had four removed without ever having gone under. The same goes for two of my siblings, and my sister-in-law.

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1874160' date='May 24 2009, 12:02 AM']My grandfather died in 1915 of something simple. He thought the doctor just wanted to run up a bill. I'll bet he wished he'd made a different decision. He left a wife and 3 kids under 5. My dad was 6 months old at the time. There's a reason that the life expectancy is 20 years longer now than it was 100 years ago. God gave us the intelligence to learn more about our bodies and how to keep them well or heal them. To throw that gift back in his face seems kind of rude.[/quote]

[quote name='RezaLemmyng' post='1874163' date='May 24 2009, 12:08 AM']Your grandfather died from impacted wisdom teeth? Well guess what... in 1915 the proceedure wasn't even available.[/quote]

[quote name='BG45' post='1874165' date='May 24 2009, 12:18 AM']Unfortunately you are quite wrong, as Catherine at no point stated that her grandfather died of impacted wisdom teeth. She just said "something simple".[/quote]

[quote name='RezaLemmyng' post='1874166' date='May 24 2009, 12:21 AM']Wisdom teeth are hardly "something simple", you have to go under to have them removed and according to most healthcare professionals, including those at the state level, its not life threatening, unlike the other thread about cancer, in which state regulations do consider it to be life threatening.

Reza[/quote]

With all due respect, could you please clarify your contradictory statements regarding whether wisdom teeth are "something simple" or not? Catherine stated her grandfather died of "something simple" to which you replied implying it was impacted wisdom teeth, I then stated she had said it was "something simple", to which you replied that impacted wisdom teeth are not something simple, in what appears to be a polar opposite of what you were implying when you were scoffing at the notion of wisdom teeth felling him.

HisChildForever

Your “review” of Electroconvulsive Therapy (commonly referred to as ECT) is completely off-base. It was never the “standard” of treating mental health but an alternative (your favorite word) kind of medication. In fact individuals who receive this treatment suffer from severe depression or severe schizophrenia. Not just anyone can “sign up” for it.

[quote]Because it can provide significant improvements in symptoms more quickly than psychotherapy or medications, electroconvulsive therapy may be the best treatment option for some people. ECT may help prevent suicide in people who are severely depressed, for instance. It may be tried when medications aren't tolerated or other forms of therapy haven't proved effective. And it may be used to end an episode of severe mania.[/quote]

You will find more information here: [url="http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/electroconvulsive-therapy/MY00129"]http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/electroco...therapy/MY00129[/url]

There are negative side effects of psychiatric medication, but there are side effects to every drug. The question is whether or not the individual wants to get well again. Those with severe psychological illnesses must be put on medication – it is an issue having to do with brain chemistry: A physical, biological issue that will not be solved by some “alternative medication” (which you have yet to even give examples of).

Abortion is murder and NOT medical treatment, therefore you even bringing it into this discussion – which you earlier claimed to be casual, yet I see have since stooped to name calling – is irrelevant.

[quote]Maybe before you freak out on those that chose alternative methods, you should get an unbiased and balanced education on both sides of the situation.[/quote]

You have yet to even discuss “alternative methods.” All I see from you is the negatives of modern medicine and an insistence that the “alternative” is more favorable. Perhaps you could enlighten us.

You should also refrain from lecturing others about the importance of being unbiased and educated. (Especially since you called ECT "Electro Shock Therapy.")

Edited by HisChildForever

RezaMikhaeil

[quote name='MissScripture' post='1874168' date='May 23 2009, 09:31 PM']A) Just because it worked out that way for you doesn't mean that it would work out that way for everyone, which is what you seem to be implying.[/quote]

It is evidence thou, also its not just my situation. I know thousands like me.

[quote]B) What on EARTH does the fact that people don't get vaccinated and die from influenza have to do with this?[/quote]

It has to do with it, because the previous poster mentioned it, and it was an example that just because something is "the standard" doesn't mean that it's what is right, which was the point if you read the post completely through, which obviously you didn't because you attempted to take a stab at me, focusing on smaller points, taking them out of context in order to take a shot at me, while at the same time ignoring the major points.

[quote]:rolleyes:
For supposedly having done so much research, you seem to not know what you're talking about. You do NOT have to go under to have wisdom teeth removed. I had four removed without ever having gone under. The same goes for two of my siblings, and my sister-in-law.[/quote]

Actually I'd spoken to alot of oral surgeons that remove wisdom teeth and my wife even has had the proceedure done. It is a proceedure in which people more then not put under for. If you like, I can give specific names to surgeons and you can call their offices.

[quote name='BG45' post='1874171' date='May 23 2009, 09:33 PM']With all due respect, could you please clarify your contradictory statements regarding whether wisdom teeth are "something simple" or not? Catherine stated her grandfather died of "something simple" to which you replied implying it was impacted wisdom teeth, I then stated she had said it was "something simple", to which you replied that impacted wisdom teeth are not something simple, in what appears to be a polar opposite of what you were implying when you were scoffing at the notion of wisdom teeth felling him.[/quote]

No, what I said was that the proceedure isn't something simple. Having Impacted Wisdom Teeth are not something serous but I never said that the proceedure was simple.

[quote name='HisChildForever' post='1874172' date='May 23 2009, 09:33 PM']Your “review” of Electroconvulsive Therapy (commonly referred to as ECT) is completely off-base. It was never the “standard” of treating mental health but an alternative (your favorite word) kind of medication. In fact individuals who receive this treatment suffer from severe depression or severe schizophrenia. Not just anyone can “sign up” for it.[/quote]

Your information is based upon what is used now, not what was used in the past. Do your research, it was very common in the 50's and 60's. If you don't believe me, do more research. It was often given to people that weren't even depresssed but were simply "different".

[quote]By 1940, the procedure was introduced to both England and the US. Through the 40's and 50's the use of ECT became widespread. ECT is the only form of shock treatment still performed by modern medicine.

In the early 1940s, in an attempt to reduce the memory disturbance and confusion associated with treatment, two modifications were introduced: the use of unilateral electrode placement and the replacement of sinusoidal current with brief pulse. It took many years for brief-pulse equipment to be widely adopted[84] Unilateral ECT has never been popular with psychiatrists and is still only given to a minority of ECT patients.[12] In the 1940s and early 1950s ECT was usually given in "unmodified" form, without muscle relaxants, and the seizure resulted in a full-scale convulsion. A rare but serious complication of unmodified ECT was fracture or dislocation of the long bones. In the 1940s psychiatrists began to experiment with curare, the muscle-paralysing South American poison, in order to modify the convulsions. The introduction of suxamethonium (succinylcholine), a safer synthetic alternative to curare, in 1951 led to the more widespread use of "modified" ECT. A short-acting anesthetic was usually given in addition to the muscle relaxant in order to spare patients the terrifying feeling of suffocation that can be experienced with muscle relaxants[/quote]

I'd met many that were given this in the 40's, as I'd often volunteered at nursing homes for the elderly. Johnathan Caouette, in his informative film about doing with his schizophrentic mother titled "tarnation", documents his grandparents response to putting their daughter in a mental health clinic and had signed papers for her to be given the treatment.

[quote]There are negative side effects of psychiatric medication, but there are side effects to every drug. The question is whether or not the individual wants to get well again. Those with severe psychological illnesses must be put on medication – it is an issue having to do with brain chemistry: A physical, biological issue that will not be solved by some “alternative medication” (which you have yet to even give examples of).[/quote]

Do you even know what you're talking about? Psychiatry is a pseudo science. There is no medical evidence to suggest that a "chemical imbalance" and all those other myths exist. If you had a thyroid malfunction, that can be tested and proven medically with a simple blood tests. "chemical imbalances", etc. cannot be proven with a blood test. Given that reality, nobody knows what is the proper dose for what individual, or even if that is the proper chemical to treat such a disease.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not speaking out of line. I'd delt with my grandmothers mental illness since I was a child. She's schizophentic, amongst other diagnoses.

[quote]Abortion is murder and NOT medical treatment, therefore you even bringing it into this discussion – which you earlier claimed to be casual, yet I see have since stooped to name calling – is irrelevant.[/quote]

I never said that it wasn't murder, what I did say is that some doctors have recommended it. Contraceptives are a standard in state medical professionals, but that doesn't mean that it's right.

[quote]You have yet to even discuss “alternative methods.” All I see from you is the negatives of modern medicine and an insistence that the “alternative” is more favorable. Perhaps you could enlighten us.[/quote]

You never asked, and I never said that I was here to enlighten you to alternative methods. I simply said that there is such a thing and that you shouldn't be so closed minded before learning about it.

[quote]You should also refrain from lecturing others about the importance of being unbiased and educated. (Especially since you called ECT "Electro Shock Therapy.")[/quote]

...for your information, it has been referred to differently through time. I also don't spead all my time discussing this sort of subject, so I'm subject to forgetting specific terms. I'm not the only one, if you were to ask many doctors about things outside of their field of practice, they may not know the specific terminology, but it doesn't mean that they don't know what their talking about.

Reza

HisChildForever

[quote name='RezaLemmyng' post='1874180' date='May 23 2009, 11:59 PM']Your information is based upon what is used now, not what was used in the past. Do your research, it was very common in the 50's and 60's. If you don't believe me, do more research. It was often given to people that weren't even depresssed but were simply "different".[/quote]

Lol, wrong.

[b]In the U.S. during the 1940’s and 50’s, the treatment was administered mostly to people with severe mental illnesses. During the last few decades, researchers have been attempting to identify the effectiveness of ECT, to learn how and why it works, to understand its risks and adverse side effects, and to determine the best treatment technique. Today, ECT is administered to an estimated 100,000 people a year, primarily in general hospital psychiatric units and in psychiatric hospitals. It is generally used in treating patients with severe depression, acute mania, and certain schizophrenic syndromes. ECT is also used with some suicidal patients, who cannot wait for antidepressant medication to take effect.[/b]

Source: [url="http://www.nmha.org/go/information/get-info/treatment/electroconvulsive-therapy-ect"]http://www.nmha.org/go/information/get-inf...ive-therapy-ect[/url]

[quote]Do you even know what you're talking about? Psychiatry is a pseudo science. There is no medical evidence to suggest that a "chemical imbalance" and all those other myths exist.[/quote]

Rofl, wrong.

[b]
Common chemical imbalances related to emotional disorders such as anxiety and depression include:

* Reduced availability of neurotransmitters like Serotonin, Dopamine, Norepinephrine, GABA and Acetylcholine.
* Increased levels of toxic neurochemicals such as Homocysteine
* Lower levels of serum Magnesium, Zinc or Potassium
* Unhealthy, or deficient levels of essential vitamins like B6, B9, B12 and Vitamin-C
* Undersupply of key cofactors like amino acids that are used to help transport neurotransmitter precursors into the blood-brain barrier.
* Increased cortisol stress hormone levels

[/b]

Source: [url="http://www.anxiety-and-depression-solutions.com/insight_answers/chemical_imbalance.php"]http://www.anxiety-and-depression-solution...l_imbalance.php[/url]

[quote]You never asked, and I never said that I was here to enlighten you to alternative methods. I simply said that there is such a thing and that you shouldn't be so closed minded before learning about it.[/quote]

Usually when an individual argues their point, they tend to defend it with explanations.

And just as you should not lecture individuals on bias and education, you should also not lecture individuals on how "open" or "closed" they are.

CatherineM

[quote name='RezaLemmyng' post='1874180' date='May 23 2009, 10:59 PM']It is evidence thou, also its not just my situation. I know thousands like me.

Do you even know what you're talking about? Psychiatry is a pseudo science. There is no medical evidence to suggest that a "chemical imbalance" and all those other myths exist. If you had a thyroid malfunction, that can be tested and proven medically with a simple blood tests. "chemical imbalances", etc. cannot be proven with a blood test. Given that reality, nobody knows what is the proper dose for what individual, or even if that is the proper chemical to treat such a disease.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not speaking out of line. I'd delt with my grandmothers mental illness since I was a child. She's schizophentic, amongst other diagnoses.

Reza[/quote]

First off, I'm impressed that you know a thousand people. I've lived in several states, and a couple of different countries, and I don't know a thousand people, let alone a thousand like me. Actually there isn't anyone else like me, thankfully.

I take acceptance to your classification of Psychiatry as a pseudo science. That's what Scientologists believe, but I'm surprised that the Orthodox do. My husband has Schizophrenia (see I can even spell it right). His mother and great grandmother and two cousins also have it. My mother's first husband also had it which is why she was so upset when I married Austin. Some of my first clients had schizophrenia, which is one of the reasons I wasn't afraid to marry one. By the way, the word schizophrenic is frowned on by all the state, national, and international Schizophrenia Societies. It's considered a derogatory label, and individuals with this disease aren't just the disease, they are actually people first.

You are speaking out of line if you are in anyway implying that people with serious mental illness shouldn't be seeing psychiatrists and taking their prescribed medications. People with schizophrenia are always looking for permission to go off their medications because they can be very difficult to take, and from a deep desire to no longer have the disease and wear the label. Even saying offhanded remarks like this on an open website forum might be read by someone who desperately want to hear the nonsense you are spouting.

HisChildForever

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1874184' date='May 24 2009, 12:15 AM']First off, I'm impressed that you know a thousand people. I've lived in several states, and a couple of different countries, and I don't know a thousand people, let alone a thousand like me. Actually there isn't anyone else like me, thankfully.[/quote]

ROFL.

[quote]I take acceptance to your classification of Psychiatry as a pseudo science. That's what Scientologists believe, but I'm surprised that the Orthodox do. My husband has Schizophrenia (see I can even spell it right). His mother and great grandmother and two cousins also have it. My mother's first husband also had it which is why she was so upset when I married Austin. Some of my first clients had schizophrenia, which is one of the reasons I wasn't afraid to marry one. By the way, the word schizophrenic is frowned on by all the state, national, and international Schizophrenia Societies. It's considered a derogatory label, and individuals with this disease aren't just the disease, they are actually people first.

You are speaking out of line if you are in anyway implying that people with serious mental illness shouldn't be seeing psychiatrists and taking their prescribed medications. People with schizophrenia are always looking for permission to go off their medications because they can be very difficult to take, and from a deep desire to no longer have the disease and wear the label. Even saying offhanded remarks like this on an open website forum might be read by someone who desperately want to hear the nonsense you are spouting.[/quote]

:yes:

RezaMikhaeil

[quote name='HisChildForever' post='1874182' date='May 23 2009, 09:10 PM']Lol, wrong.

[b]In the U.S. during the 1940’s and 50’s, the treatment was administered mostly to people with severe mental illnesses. During the last few decades, researchers have been attempting to identify the effectiveness of ECT, to learn how and why it works, to understand its risks and adverse side effects, and to determine the best treatment technique. Today, ECT is administered to an estimated 100,000 people a year, primarily in general hospital psychiatric units and in psychiatric hospitals. It is generally used in treating patients with severe depression, acute mania, and certain schizophrenic syndromes. ECT is also used with some suicidal patients, who cannot wait for antidepressant medication to take effect.[/b]

Source: [url="http://www.nmha.org/go/information/get-info/treatment/electroconvulsive-therapy-ect"]http://www.nmha.org/go/information/get-inf...ive-therapy-ect[/url][/quote]

Again, you're taking your information from sites that are biased. "Chemical imbalance" is just a theory. Go to any doctors office to ask for a blood test regarding it, there is no such thing.

[quote]Chemical imbalance is one theory about the cause of mental illness. Other causes that are debated include psychological and social causes.

The basic concept is that neurotransmitter imbalances within the brain are the main causes of psychiatric conditions and that these conditions can be improved with medication which corrects these imbalance. The phrase originated from the scientific study of brain chemistry. In the 1950s the monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs) and tricyclic antidepressants were accidentally discovered to be effective in the treatment of depression[1]. These findings and other supporting evidence led Joseph Schildkraut to publish his paper called "The Catecholamine Hypothesis of Affective Disorders" in 1965.[2] Schildkraut associated low levels of neurotransmitters with depression.

Research into other mental illnesses such as schizophrenia also found that too little activity of certain neurotransmitters was correlated to these disorders. In the scientific community this hypothesis has been referred to as the Monoamine Hypothesis. This hypothesis has been a major focus of research in the fields Pathophysiology and Pharmacotherapy for over 25 years [3] and led to the development of new classes of drugs such as SSRIs (selective-serotonin reuptake inhibitors)[4]. This conceptual framework has been challenged within the scientific community, though no other demonstrably superior hypothesis has emerged. While the hypothesis has been shown to be simplistic and lacking, there is sufficient evidence to consider it as a useful heuristic in the aiding of our understanding of brain chemistry and explaining pharmacotherapy.[5] [3] Wayne Goodman, Chair of the FDA Psychopharmacological Advisory Committee, has described the serotonergic theory of depression as a "useful metaphor" for understanding depression, though not one that he uses with his own psychiatric patients.[6] Recently, psychiatrist Peter Kramer stated that the serotonin theory of depression had been declared dead prematurely.[7] Kramer argues that recent scientific research actually shows a definitive role for serotonin deficiency in depression. An analysis of the studies Kramer cites argues that such statements are premature[/quote]

That's Wikipedia, more neutral. Even [url="http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Mental-Health/chemical-imbalance-testing/show/266596"]http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Mental-Health...ing/show/266596[/url] confirms that there is no blood test.

[quote]Rofl, wrong.

[b]
Common chemical imbalances related to emotional disorders such as anxiety and depression include:

* Reduced availability of neurotransmitters like Serotonin, Dopamine, Norepinephrine, GABA and Acetylcholine.
* Increased levels of toxic neurochemicals such as Homocysteine
* Lower levels of serum Magnesium, Zinc or Potassium
* Unhealthy, or deficient levels of essential vitamins like B6, B9, B12 and Vitamin-C
* Undersupply of key cofactors like amino acids that are used to help transport neurotransmitter precursors into the blood-brain barrier.
* Increased cortisol stress hormone levels

[/b]

Source: [url="http://www.anxiety-and-depression-solutions.com/insight_answers/chemical_imbalance.php"]http://www.anxiety-and-depression-solution...l_imbalance.php[/url][/quote]

This is a theory, as the evidence that I'd provided says, there is no blood test and scientic evidence that proves it's existance. When my grandmother was diagnosed, my mother, as ignorant as ever, asked for medical evidence and they were very straight forward, there is no blood test. My wife was once very depressed, and the whole "chemical imbalance" was presented and she asked for a blood test and they were very clear, there is no medical evidence as such. Psychiatry is a pseudo science.

[quote]Usually when an individual argues their point, they tend to defend it with explanations.[/quote] not with those that attack those that they don't agree with, with insults from the start.

[quote]And just as you should not lecture individuals on bias and education, you should also not lecture individuals on how "open" or "closed" they are.[/quote]

you're still young, so I won't comment on this...

Reza

CatherineM

[quote name='RezaLemmyng' post='1874186' date='May 23 2009, 11:27 PM']Again, you're taking your information from sites that are biased. "Chemical imbalance" is just a theory. Go to any doctors office to ask for a blood test regarding it, there is no such thing.

That's Wikipedia, more neutral. Even [url="http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Mental-Health/chemical-imbalance-testing/show/266596"]http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Mental-Health...ing/show/266596[/url] confirms that there is no blood test.

This is a theory, as the evidence that I'd provided says, there is no blood test and scientic evidence that proves it's existance. When my grandmother was diagnosed, my mother, as ignorant as ever, asked for medical evidence and they were very straight forward, there is no blood test. My wife was once very depressed, and the whole "chemical imbalance" was presented and she asked for a blood test and they were very clear, there is no medical evidence as such. Psychiatry is a pseudo science.

not with those that attack those that they don't agree with, with insults from the start.

you're still young, so I won't comment on this...

Reza[/quote]

I'm not young, and you are sounding more and more like a Scientologist. They are known to pretend to be other things and go on websites to make these kinds of claims. There is not a blood test to diagnose my brain injury, but that doesn't keep it from being a medical fact. Of course my brain injury is a good excuse to explain why I am wasting my time on a Saturday night talking to a person of your obvious limitations when I could be spending time with my husband.

RezaMikhaeil

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1874184' date='May 23 2009, 09:15 PM']First off, I'm impressed that you know a thousand people. I've lived in several states, and a couple of different countries, and I don't know a thousand people, let alone a thousand like me. Actually there isn't anyone else like me, thankfully.[/quote]

I'm involved in the natural remedies communities and have lied in a grip of states too.

[quote]I take acceptance to your classification of Psychiatry as a pseudo science. That's what Scientologists believe, but I'm surprised that the Orthodox do. My husband has Schizophrenia (see I can even spell it right). His mother and great grandmother and two cousins also have it. My mother's first husband also had it which is why she was so upset when I married Austin. Some of my first clients had schizophrenia, which is one of the reasons I wasn't afraid to marry one. By the way, the word schizophrenic is frowned on by all the state, national, and international Schizophrenia Societies. It's considered a derogatory label, and individuals with this disease aren't just the disease, they are actually people first.[/quote]

Nobody said that all Orthodox do, just like not all Roman Catholics agreed wit the pscyhiatric community. There are many Roman Catholics that believe in natural remedies too. In regards to it being "offensive", I'd never heard this before. Two of my sisters are social workers and also have never heard this before. My grandmother has been arrested numerous times before she lived with my family because of her condition, and it was also referrred to as schizaphrenia.

[quote]You are speaking out of line if you are in anyway implying that people with serious mental illness shouldn't be seeing psychiatrists and taking their prescribed medications. People with schizophrenia are always looking for permission to go off their medications because they can be very difficult to take, and from a deep desire to no longer have the disease and wear the label. Even saying offhanded remarks like this on an open website forum might be read by someone who desperately want to hear the nonsense you are spouting.[/quote]

No I'm not speaking out of line, I'm being honest that there is no evidence such as that found through a blood test to prove such a condition exists. I'm for further research to find natural cures to such problems, but I don't believe in giving medicine to individuals blindly. I believe in scientific evidence and the bottom line is that there is no blood test to prove these conditions. We're told that they "need to take this drug" to replace a supposed chemical that is missing in their brains function, but since there is no evidence, such as the particular evidence that is found in a thyroid malfunction, it's impossible to tell what particular chemical is missing.

People with a thyroid malfunctioin also take medicine. A thyroid malfunction also causes depression but it can be proven through a blood test. That's why a thyroid malfunction is not a pseudo science.

In regards to the comment about those people that have been supposedly diagnosed with such a condeition not taking their medicine, its common. My grandmother was also rebellious with her meds. Truthfully, I don't blame her because there is so many problems with psychiatry. Don't get me wrong, I didn't like the responsibility of dealing with a woman out of her mind, but I don't agree with psychiatry either.

Reza