An Old School Catholic Message Board

Should Teeth Get Pulled?

elizabeth09

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1873851' date='May 23 2009, 12:02 PM']When my son went into the navy, they pulled 8 of this teeth.[/quote]

Eight Teeth?!

:blink:

CatherineM

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1873857' date='May 23 2009, 11:10 AM']They take eight? That's crazy.

Did they take his appendix, too?[/quote]

I thought it was nuts too. They don't always take 8, but they always take the 4 wisdom teeth. I never really figured out if the kid had two sets of wisdom teeth, or if they took the last molars or something. When he finally got to come home on leave, I was too busy hugging him to ask him to open his mouth. He was home about 5 minutes anyway, long enough to dump two duffel bags worth of dirty uniforms on me, all that needed his new stripes sewn on too, and then disappeared to see his friends. I complain, but I enjoyed every minute of cleaning and pressing his uniforms.

MissScripture

[quote name='RezaLemmyng' post='1873849' date='May 23 2009, 11:54 AM']If it's necessary yes, but I think the whole "wisdom teeth" thing is a myth. I'd been told as a teen 50 million times to have mine pulled, of course I didn't and everything is cool. From my experienes [and discussion with dentists] the tell everyone that, some it may benefit but many will be fine without it.

Do you really believe that God designed human beings with too many teeth? I used to think I was alone in this but I'm finding alot more people the more that I research medical myths, etc.

Reza[/quote]
If some benefit, then how can the WHOLE wisdom teeth thing be a myth? My mom's were starting to grow in backwards and INTO nerves in her face. Pretty sure if she didn't have them removed she'd be in a lot of trouble. On the flip side, my brother never had to have his removed and no one has ever told him he should.

Archaeology cat

Mine were trying to come in sideways, so I had to have them cut out. I also had to have a 12-year-molar cut out, as the roots were growing into my jaw. My jaw still hurts sometimes from that one.

Growing up, I had "shark teeth" - my permanent teeth came in behind my baby teeth, without the baby teeth falling out. So I've had all but 2 of the baby teeth pulled (the other 2 actually fell out on their own). 4 of those were without being numbed, but they were kinda loose anyway.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='elizabeth09' post='1873748' date='May 23 2009, 02:22 AM']?[/quote]
If you ever had an infected tooth or jaw you would not be asking that question.

We had no insurance when I was coming up so my first dental visit at 18 involved 8 teeth pulled. It only got worse from there. A major jaw infection lead to the removal of my two front teeth - it was 200 to get them out or 2000 cash to get them fixed. My children inherited my bad teeth and have been to dentists since they were born, but still had to have teeth pulled. One is still in braces.

RezaMikhaeil

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1873851' date='May 23 2009, 10:02 AM']They were also causing me so much pain that I couldn't sleep with either jaw touching the pillow. My mouth was too small for them or something.[/quote]

Don't get me wrong, my wisdom teeth caused me pain for several years while they were comming in, but it went away. I just figured this is part of life.

[quote name='HisChildForever' post='1873855' date='May 23 2009, 10:08 AM']:huh:[/quote]

What? You believe that God created humans with wisdom teeth for the sake of being pulled? Did Jesus have his wisdom teeth removed you think? What about the Apostles and Saints for the last 2000 years? What about Adam in the garden? It's a simple point.

Reza

dominicansoul

[quote name='RezaLemmyng' post='1874080' date='May 23 2009, 07:37 PM']Don't get me wrong, my wisdom teeth caused me pain for several years while they were comming in, but it went away. I just figured this is part of life.

What? You believe that God created humans with wisdom teeth for the sake of being pulled? Did Jesus have his wisdom teeth removed you think? What about the Apostles and Saints for the last 2000 years? What about Adam in the garden? It's a simple point.

Reza[/quote]
If the Lord had his wisdom teeth taken out, it was probably done with the thread, doorknob trick...

i don't think dentistry was around back then....??? maybe in a very primitive form??

Come to think of it...the thought that St. Peter might have helped Jesus pull some teeth is kinda cute...!

Seriously, this is a question to ask a competent dentist, not the peanut gallery at Phatmass.

It's a medical/dental issue, not a moral issue.

RezaMikhaeil

[quote name='dominicansoul' post='1874140' date='May 23 2009, 07:22 PM']If the Lord had his wisdom teeth taken out, it was probably done with the thread, doorknob trick...

i don't think dentistry was around back then....??? maybe in a very primitive form??

Come to think of it...the thought that St. Peter might have helped Jesus pull some teeth is kinda cute...![/quote]

Hehehehehe...yeah it was probably like Tom Hanks in Castaway... the metal from an ice skating shoe and a rock.

Your answer cracked me up... very cute.

Reza

HisChildForever

[quote name='RezaLemmyng' post='1874080' date='May 23 2009, 08:37 PM']What? You believe that God created humans with wisdom teeth for the sake of being pulled? Did Jesus have his wisdom teeth removed you think? What about the Apostles and Saints for the last 2000 years? What about Adam in the garden? It's a simple point.[/quote]

What on EARTH are you going on about?? You think the problems all of us on here have had with our wisdom teeth were "fake" problems concocted by our dentists and oral surgeons? I knew something fishy was going after my x-rays, they were taking way too long to bring me the results!

Actually I have a better idea, we should ignore all health care professionals and chuck medical treatment down the toilet.

[quote name='RezaLemmyng' post='1874080' date='May 23 2009, 08:37 PM']Don't get me wrong, my wisdom teeth caused me pain for several years while they were comming in, but it went away. I just figured this is part of life.

Reza[/quote]

You should talk to my Mom's coworker. She was on the brink of death after choosing not to have her wisdom teeth removed. They became impacted, and the resulting infection spread to her brain.

RezaMikhaeil

[quote name='HisChildForever' post='1874149' date='May 23 2009, 07:41 PM']What on EARTH are you going on about?? You think the problems all of us on here have had with our wisdom teeth were "fake" problems concocted by our dentists and oral surgeons? I knew something fishy was going after my x-rays, they were taking way too long to bring me the results!

Actually I have a better idea, we should ignore all health care professionals and chuck medical treatment down the toilet.[/quote]

What are you freaking out about. It's just a forum...a casual discussion... Also getting the results of X-Rays hardly means that there is a problem. Its not like they take longer to develop because of a problem with you.

[quote name='MissyP89' post='1874151' date='May 23 2009, 07:43 PM']You should talk to my Mom's coworker. She was on the brink of death after choosing not to have her wisdom teeth removed. They became impacted, and the resulting infection spread to her brain.[/quote]

This term "impacted wisdom teeth" I hear tossed around alot by dentists to scare people too. That term was mentioned to me before, but now it's over a decade later and I'm cool. Again... I don't recall hearing about people 100 years ago dropping like flies over this problem. Maybe I just didn't read it in the historical documents thou... "black plague is nothing compared to impacted wisdom teeth that has wiped out almost the whole population".

Reza

HisChildForever

[quote name='RezaLemmyng' post='1874156' date='May 23 2009, 10:48 PM']What are you freaking out about. It's just a forum...a casual discussion... Also getting the results of X-Rays hardly means that there is a problem. Its not like they take longer to develop because of a problem with you.[/quote]

I was being sarcastic.

So the x-rays they showed me of my four wisdom teeth growing in SIDEWAYS - yes, HORIZONTALLY - and pressing against my other teeth were, what, not a problem?

[quote]This term "impacted wisdom teeth" I hear tossed around alot by dentists to scare people too.[/quote]

Yeah, because dentists and other health care professionals love to scare people with these genuine medical concerns. Sort of like "influenza" and "cancer" too.

[quote]That term was mentioned to me before, but now it's over a decade later and I'm cool.[/quote]

Oh, this settles it then. Because nothing has happened to you (yet), everyone else will be okay.

[quote]Again... I don't recall hearing about people 100 years ago dropping like flies over this problem. Maybe I just didn't read it in the historical documents thou... "black plague is nothing compared to impacted wisdom teeth that has wiped out almost the whole population".[/quote]

Do some research.

[url="http://scienceline.org/2007/02/05/ask-cooper-wisdomteeth/"]http://scienceline.org/2007/02/05/ask-cooper-wisdomteeth/[/url]

And by the way, that picture is what all FOUR of mine looked like.

CatherineM

[quote name='RezaLemmyng' post='1874156' date='May 23 2009, 09:48 PM']This term "impacted wisdom teeth" I hear tossed around alot by dentists to scare people too. That term was mentioned to me before, but now it's over a decade later and I'm cool. Again... I don't recall hearing about people 100 years ago dropping like flies over this problem. Maybe I just didn't read it in the historical documents thou... "black plague is nothing compared to impacted wisdom teeth that has wiped out almost the whole population".

Reza[/quote]

My grandfather died in 1915 of something simple. He thought the doctor just wanted to run up a bill. I'll bet he wished he'd made a different decision. He left a wife and 3 kids under 5. My dad was 6 months old at the time. There's a reason that the life expectancy is 20 years longer now than it was 100 years ago. God gave us the intelligence to learn more about our bodies and how to keep them well or heal them. To throw that gift back in his face seems kind of rude.