An Old School Catholic Message Board

Should Teeth Get Pulled?

elizabeth09

missionseeker

it depends upon what they did to deserve it.

did they come in crooked?

or did they rot away?

HisChildForever

Well, if I didn't have my four impacted wisdom teeth surgically extracted and drilled out, I would be in trouble.

CatherineM

I hated having my wisdom teeth pulled. I still have them in my jewelry box. Probably some kind of major psychological issue with that.

RezaMikhaeil

If it's necessary yes, but I think the whole "wisdom teeth" thing is a myth. I'd been told as a teen 50 million times to have mine pulled, of course I didn't and everything is cool. From my experienes [and discussion with dentists] the tell everyone that, some it may benefit but many will be fine without it.

Do you really believe that God designed human beings with too many teeth? I used to think I was alone in this but I'm finding alot more people the more that I research medical myths, etc.

Reza

CatherineM

[quote name='RezaLemmyng' post='1873849' date='May 23 2009, 10:54 AM']If it's necessary yes, but I think the whole "wisdom teeth" thing is a myth. I'd been told as a teen 50 million times to have mine pulled, of course I didn't and everything is cool. From my experienes [and discussion with dentists] the tell everyone that, some it may benefit but many will be fine without it.

Do you really believe that God designed human beings with too many teeth? I used to think I was alone in this but I'm finding alot more people the more that I research medical myths, etc.

Reza[/quote]

In my case, the wisdom teeth shoving all my teeth out of alignment. My bottom front teeth still overlap a huge amount from the damage. They were also causing me so much pain that I couldn't sleep with either jaw touching the pillow. My mouth was too small for them or something.

When my son went into the navy, they pulled 8 of this teeth. Apparently everyone going into the navy gets them yanked. They don't want them to be at sea far from a dentist and have any trouble. I had the dentist seal my son's teeth with that polymer stuff when he was little, and he'd never even had a small cavity, so his first real experience with a dentist other than cleaning was major oral surgery. I thought taking 8 was a bit much. He was miserable for weeks.

HisChildForever

[quote name='RezaLemmyng' post='1873849' date='May 23 2009, 11:54 AM']If it's necessary yes, but I think the whole "wisdom teeth" thing is a myth. I'd been told as a teen 50 million times to have mine pulled, of course I didn't and everything is cool. From my experienes [and discussion with dentists] the tell everyone that, some it may benefit but many will be fine without it.

Reza[/quote]

:huh:

dominicansoul

I got all my back teeth pulled to make room for my wisdom teeth.

...it was not cool.....

homeschoolmom

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1873851' date='May 23 2009, 12:02 PM']In my case, the wisdom teeth shoving all my teeth out of alignment. My bottom front teeth still overlap a huge amount from the damage. They were also causing me so much pain that I couldn't sleep with either jaw touching the pillow. My mouth was too small for them or something.

When my son went into the navy, they pulled 8 of this teeth. Apparently everyone going into the navy gets them yanked. They don't want them to be at sea far from a dentist and have any trouble. I had the dentist seal my son's teeth with that polymer stuff when he was little, and he'd never even had a small cavity, so his first real experience with a dentist other than cleaning was major oral surgery. I thought taking 8 was a bit much. He was miserable for weeks.[/quote]

They take eight? That's crazy.

Did they take his appendix, too?

eagle_eye222001

Yeah I got all four of my wisdom teeth pulled Friday. Two were a couple degrees short of being horizontal.

Ouch. :wacko:

----------------
Now playing: [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/artist/3+doors+down/track/dangerous+game"]3 Doors Down - Dangerous Game[/url]
via [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/signatunes/"]FoxyTunes[/url]

HisChildForever

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1873851' date='May 23 2009, 12:02 PM']In my case, the wisdom teeth shoving all my teeth out of alignment. My bottom front teeth still overlap a huge amount from the damage. They were also causing me so much pain that I couldn't sleep with either jaw touching the pillow. My mouth was too small for them or something.[/quote]

Yes, my bottom two front teeth are [i]slightly[/i] crooked, and I blame it on the wisdom teeth. In my case, the wisdom teeth were growing in sideways. One was peeking over the gum and got infected - which is the only reason why I went to the dentist (in other words there was no pain). Had I not had the teeth removed, and infections returned - which would have happened for the other three as well were they to surface - I was told that if untreated I could wind up in the hospital. No myth about that.